Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/23/2010 8:24:28 AM EDT
I received a part time opportunity that doesn't fit my schedule. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Stony Brook Instructor Part Time positions

Link Posted: 8/23/2010 10:41:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By scpd92:
I received a part time opportunity that doesn't fit my schedule. Just thought I'd pass it along.

Off on a tangent, but still in the area this weekend: http://www.vitalsignsconference.com/

Any downstate arfcommers going?
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:27:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fp1201:

Off on a tangent, but still in the area this weekend: http://www.vitalsignsconference.com/

Ambulance Drivers unite 2010? Wouldn't miss it for the world...

Despit my efforts, cannot go this year either...
Link Posted: 8/23/2010 11:33:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By emsjeep:

Ambulance Drivers unite 2010? Wouldn't miss it for the world...

Despit my efforts, cannot go this year either...

YEA, there's a keg left over from the Firematics last weekend....oh wait, someone just finished it off.

Link Posted: 8/29/2010 3:53:33 AM EDT
hey,
you guys know anything about some pharmacies being able to sell junkies needles now otc? is this something new? or has it been on the books for a while and now some pharmacies are doing it or what?

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:16:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By pwr2al4:
hey,
you guys know anything about some pharmacies being able to sell junkies needles now otc? is this something new? or has it been on the books for a while and now some pharmacies are doing it or what?

WTF?

In NYC who knows Northern NY: They'll haul you ass off to jail if you're caught with a needle with one (illegal applications)
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 11:52:02 AM EDT
Requiring an Associates degree but expecting to only pay $16.25/hr?
I'm sure salary is based on experience/qualifications but that's a little low. I won't even consider an instructor/evaluator per diem less than $20/hr. And that's only if it's local, and as a favor. The State really isn't too concerned with hiring quality educators. I'm surprised knowing Paul. Maybe no one is ever hired at the bottom of the scale but they should realize most people in EMS do NOT have a degree even though they've spent more time in a classroom than their college pedigreed counterparts. Still, I'm sure they'll receive plenty of applications.

Good of you to pass this on.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 12:47:58 PM EDT

Originally Posted By StoutOfHeart:
Requiring an Associates degree but expecting to only pay $16.25/hr?
I'm sure salary is based on experience/qualifications but that's a little low....

When I looked at the link

http://naples.cc.sunysb.edu/Admin/CampusJob.nsf/dd0034073858dd6d8525659c0072eafb/2ed3df0e1568466e8525777e004d6849?OpenDocument­

it quoted the salary at $16.25 <> $30.00 an hour. Did that change?

Yes, the STARTING salary is low, but it goes up to $30/hr, which is not grossly indecent.

Also, for clarification, the position really is for an instructor-trainer, not an instructor, so yes, both the starting salary and range of compensation should be higher, as should be the required qualifications.

$22.50 <> $41.00/hr sounds more in line with the demands of that job, when taking the location (greater NYC area) into consideration. If it truly is a "state" gig, the salary should be in line with what the state is paying other instructors and instructor trainers in other fields (LE, Fire, etc).

For many, work is work, and I've (in recent months) worked for less than $16/hr for a bunch of reasons (favor, need, something I like/love doing). At the advanced stage of my crotchety life I could not (in NY anyways) make a career out of $16<>$30hr, but I'm sure for many others it's a great deal! :)

/ml
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 4:54:22 PM EDT
Don't you know us state employees are just raking in the big bucks?
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:26:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cas:
Don't you know us state employees are just raking in the big bucks?

So you're saying that state workers have a special permit to hunt bigger male deer than the rest of the folks here?

...because FOR CERTAIN I know you isn't talking about "money", when you say bucks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:22:24 PM EDT

hey,

WTF?

Harm Reduction....

ESAP Expanded Syringe Access Program

NYS figured it's cheaper to give junkies in a needle exchange program free needles when they present their card at any participating pharmacy than is to pay for their HIV/HepC/HepB treatment. You can go to any drug store and buy 10 syringes for $1.80 if you're not in a needle exchange program.

Also, NYS decriminalized possession of clean needles whereas they used to be able to charge you with the possession. If there's residue the the subject is charged. If not, no charge.

http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseases/aids/harm_reduction/needles_syringes/esap/overview.htm

What The Law Says

• Licensed pharmacies, health care facilities, and health care practitioners who can otherwise prescribe hypodermic needles or syringes may register with the New York State Department of Health to sell or furnish up to 10 hypodermic needles or syringes to persons 18 years of age or older.
  • Persons who are age 18 years or older may legally obtain and possess hypodermic needles and syringes through ESAP- without a medical prescription.
  • Pharmacies may not advertise availability of hypodermic needles or syringes without a prescription and they must keep them in a manner that makes them available only to pharmacy staff (i.e., not openly available to customers).
  • Registered providers must cooperate in a program to assure safe disposal of used hypodermic needles or syringes.
  • Hypodermic needles and syringes provided through ESAP are accompanied by a safety insert explaining proper use, risk of blood borne diseases, proper disposal, dangers of injection drug use, how to access drug treatment as well as information about HIV/AIDS.
  • An independent evaluation conducted in consultation with the New York State AIDS Advisory Council, was submitted to the Governor and the Legislature on January 15, 2003. It assessed the impact of ESAP on needle and syringe sharing, substance abuse, pharmacy practice, criminal activity, accidental needlesticks among law enforcement, sanitation and other personnel, syringe disposal, and various methods of education on safe use and proper disposal.
The New York State Department of Health was responsible for developing regulations to implement ESAP.

What The Regulations Say

The regulations amended Part 80 of Title 10 (Health) NYCRR, pursuant to Section 3381 of the Public Health Law. A new section of Part 80, Section 80.137 established ESAP.

The regulations elaborated on the legislation as follows:

• Eligible providers must register with the NYSDOH to sell, furnish, or accept for disposal hypodermic needles and/or syringes. Pharmacies, clinics, and health care practitioners that wish to accept household sharps under ESAP will have to register for this program component. Hospitals are already required to accept household sharps. Providers that accept needles and syringes for disposal must comply with state and local laws regarding the disposal of regulated medical waste.
  • Registration is limited to providers in good standing. It requires completion of a registration that includes: information regarding the provider; an attestation that the provider will abide by applicable laws and regulations; an explanation of how the provider will participate in safe disposal; and an authorized signature.
  • Registered providers must notify the NYSDOH of any changes to the registration information, including notification to withdraw from the program.
  • Registration information may be included in a resource directory or registry for use by consumers and providers.
  • Registration may be suspended for a period up to one year, upon the finding of a violation of Section 80.137 or when the provider is found to be no longer in good standing.
  • Individuals age 18 or older may legally obtain and possess hypodermic syringes and needles obtained pursuant to this regulation.

Link Posted: 8/30/2010 3:27:27 PM EDT

hey,

WTF?

In NYC who knows Northern NY: They'll haul you ass off to jail if you're caught with a needle with one (illegal applications)

They shouldn't be. If they haul on that alone it'll get dismissed. If they haul on more than that, the possession of clean needles will be dismissed. The rest of the charge package will move ahead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:08:19 PM EDT
Amend the Public Health Law all you want, but until they modify the penal law, it is still a crime to possess a hypo w/o a prescription,. I can see that if a junkie hands over a needle exchange program ID card he may have a defense against the charge, but defenses only work AFTER they've been collared.

As for the salary range for the EMS IC/Didactic instructor positions I passed along. The money may be good, bad or great depending on your personal situation. There are members on this board that have had their full time EMS jobs yanked out from underneath them w/o as much as a reach around.

§ 220.45 Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument.
A person is guilty of criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument
when he knowingly and unlawfully possesses or sells a hypodermic syringe
or hypodermic needle.
Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument is a class A
misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 6:58:37 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sherm8404:

hey,
you guys know anything about some pharmacies being able to sell junkies needles now etc? is this something new? or has it been on the books for a while and now some pharmacies are doing it or what?

WTF?

They shouldn't be. If they haul on that alone it'll get dismissed. If they haul on more than that, the possession of clean needles will be dismissed. The rest of the charge package will move ahead.

paraphernalia

Being a relatively small community, the Law Enforcement Community IS fighting as hard as they can to keep the Drug trade at bey, sadly we're seeing an ever increasing migration from areas South of the Hudson.
Link Posted: 8/30/2010 9:25:51 PM EDT

hey,
you guys know anything about some pharmacies being able to sell junkies needles now etc? is this something new? or has it been on the books for a while and now some pharmacies are doing it or what?

WTF?

paraphernalia

Being a relatively small community, the Law Enforcement Community IS fighting as hard as they can to keep the Drug trade at bey, sadly we're seeing an ever increasing migration from areas South of the Hudson.

Sucks when they have to play by the rulebook.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 3:26:05 PM EDT

Amend the Public Health Law all you want, but until they modify the penal law, it is still a crime to possess a hypo w/o a prescription,. I can see that if a junkie hands over a needle exchange program ID card he may have a defense against the charge, but defenses only work AFTER they've been collared.

As for the salary range for the EMS IC/Didactic instructor positions I passed along. The money may be good, bad or great depending on your personal situation. There are members on this board that have had their full time EMS jobs yanked out from underneath them w/o as much as a reach around.

or hypodermic needle.
misdemeanor.

Sorry for the necropost, but it's been amended.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A08396&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Memo=Y

S 220.45 Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument. A person is guilty of criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument when he OR SHE knowingly and unlawfully possesses or sells a hypodermic syringe or hypodermic needle. IT SHALL NOT BE A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION WHEN A PERSON OBTAINS AND POSSESSES A HYPODERMIC SYRINGE OR HYPODERMIC NEEDLE PURSUANT TO SECTION THIRTY-THREE HUNDRED EIGHTY-ONE OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH LAW. Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument is a class A misdemeanor.

It's my understanding that the PHL was amended a ways back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:03:04 PM EDT

or hypodermic needle.
misdemeanor.

Sorry for the necropost, but it's been amended.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A08396&Summary=Y&Actions=Y&Memo=Y

S 220.45 Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument. A person is guilty of criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument when he OR SHE knowingly and unlawfully possesses or sells a hypodermic syringe or hypodermic needle. IT SHALL NOT BE A VIOLATION OF THIS SECTION WHEN A PERSON OBTAINS AND POSSESSES A HYPODERMIC SYRINGE OR HYPODERMIC NEEDLE PURSUANT TO SECTION THIRTY-THREE HUNDRED EIGHTY-ONE OF THE PUBLIC HEALTH LAW. Criminally possessing a hypodermic instrument is a class A misdemeanor.

It's my understanding that the PHL was amended a ways back.

Not to sound like more of a hyper-technical douche than I normally am but as you have pointed out the law has been changed and I stand corrected.....BUT I clicked on the link for the assembly you provided and found.the following

06/29/2010 passed assembly
06/29/2010 returned to senate
07/19/2010 DELIVERED TO GOVERNOR
07/30/2010 SIGNED CHAP.284

EFFECTIVE DATE:

This bill would become effective 90 days after enactment.

This exemption/amendment to the law will not go into effect until 90 days after 7/30/10
Top Top