Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2015 8:51:58 AM EDT
Making plans to go to Atlanta in Oct and going to the zoo and aquarium.

First question is where are the no go zones that I want to steer clear of?

Second are there hotels that run shuttles or van service to those places?
We will be coming the west (OK), and the other family members will be coming from south of Macon.
My silly wife said they have Mass Trans there. NO.

Without knowing Atlanta my first thought would be to stay outside and come in for the attractions.
Anything other advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Making plans to go to Atlanta in Oct and going to the zoo and aquarium.

First question is where are the no go zones that I want to steer clear of?

Second are there hotels that run shuttles or van service to those places?
We will be coming the west (OK), and the other family members will be coming from south of Macon.
My silly wife said they have Mass Trans there. NO.

Without knowing Atlanta my first thought would be to stay outside and come in for the attractions.
Anything other advice appreciated.
View Quote

Mass trans in ATL is MARTA, and it is ride at your own peril.  I know a few people who have used it without any problems, but if you do, expect a freak show.  Staying inside the perimeter is not a problem, just choose a good hotel.  My dad lives in Midtown, about 3 miles from the zoo, and has no problems walking everywhere despite the fact that where his condo is located is still transitioning from shitsville to a habitable location.  I regularly go up to Piedmont Park up there with my Dad, wife, kids but I always carry.  Mostly it's just drunks and homeless folks around that will bother you.  It's a pretty mixed crowd everywhere in the perimeter and is ok as long as you keep your head on straight.  FYI, the zoo is in a pretty good location, but I still carry there.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe hotels run shuttles but you would need to check.

Zoo is a couple blocks from not a great area.  No mass transit to there except for bus which I do not recommend.  Go to zoo, have a good time, and leave that area.

Aquarium is a couple blocks from the rail line (MARTA) and is in a downtown tourist area (keep your head up but nothing to run from during tourist hours).

Look up Atlanta City Pass.  You can get discounts for combining various attractions.  College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coke, etc.

I suggest staying near the Aquarium and driving car, taxi or Uber to the zoo.  You can stay outside city but there won't be much else to do in the burbs unless you have some good intel on the area you are staying.

Fall is my favorite time in ATL.  Good weather most of the time.  Enjoy your trip.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 9:21:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Zoo is a couple blocks from not a great area.  No mass transit to there except for bus which I do not recommend.  Go to zoo, have a good time, and leave that area.

Aquarium is a couple blocks from the rail line (MARTA) and is in a downtown tourist area (keep your head up but nothing to run from during tourist hours).

Look up Atlanta City Pass.  You can get discounts for combining various attractions.  College Football Hall of Fame, World of Coke, etc.

I suggest staying near the Aquarium and driving car, taxi or Uber to the zoo.  You can stay outside city but there won't be much else to do in the burbs unless you have some good intel on the area you are staying.

Fall is my favorite time in ATL.  Good weather most of the time.  Enjoy your trip.
View Quote

Carry is a go at the zoo, but a definite no-go at the aquarium. All I will add, most has been said. Have fun Atlanta can be tons of fun for all ages. But it can get hairy quickly depending on where you're at so keep an eye out, but mostly you shouldn't have at problems.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Carry is a go at the zoo, but a definite no-go at the aquarium. All I will add, most has been said. Have fun Atlanta can be tons of fun for all ages. But it can get hairy quickly depending on where you're at so keep an eye out, but mostly you shouldn't have at problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry is easy at the zoo, carry at the aquarium is tricky. They wand adults and check bags purses but I've never seen them check strollers
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Depending on your price point, there are many great hotels downtown.   The Westin is AWESOME and has a revolving observation deck on the 77th floor.  Very cool.   The Hilton is nice too.   All walking distance to the aquarium.

For the Zoo, just take Uber and they will come and pick you up in minutes and get you safely to the zoo.  

The aquarium has never checked strollers or inside jackets in the stroller.  But no that they have zero tolerance policy, and don't even let police carry inside.  If they find you are carrying, be prepared to walk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up on all this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top