Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 10:33:37 PM EDT
I have a job opportunity in Atlanta, office would be  just south of the airport.

I'd really appreciate any advice  on neighborhoods.

Are there any good semi-rural areas within 30 minutes or so of the airport? Places where a guy could buy a house on a few acres without breaking the bank? I'm seeing lots of cheap houses in Clayton county but not many large lots, is that a bad neighborhood?
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
try Henry county should be able to find what you what down there
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:35:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The airport is about 20ish minutes south of Atlanta, in decent traffic, to go 30 minutes south I suspect you would be semi rural. Of course, I have no idea. Actually, McDonough and Peachtree City are in that range, if you want city(city, sorta) names.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#3]
What price range are you looking at? Homes in Henry Co start around $130 and up. What type of ammenities looking for? Lots of variables to consider. I would stay away from Clayton Co. if possible. Lots of run down neighborhoods there (some nice, newer neighborhoods going in, but!) Fayette Co has a lot of nice communities as well.

GlockSpeed31
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:14:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I hear good things about Fayetteville.  We just put in our newest Thomasville store there and I have never been in that area.  I'm sure I'll have to go there sooner or later but from what the  recon reports read like it seems to be a fast growing and fairly inexpensive area to live in.  It cant be that bad of an area if we put a thomasville store there.  They dont go up just anywhere and their very picky about where they put one at.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys,

Price range- depends on whether I decide I have to borrow money. Could swing about $100K cash.

Amenities? AC, large yard, a  garage or shop would be nice, as would shopping close by.

I'll be looking for a run down house in a nice neighborhood, that's always worked out good for me in the past.

Seems like there's a lot of housing in the $60-70K range, but the acreages are all mobiles.

Anybody know Hampton?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Here is a link for a local news paper for Newnan, and for Fayteetville/Peachtree City.

I live outside of Newnan, on the way to Peachtree City.

www.times-herald.com/ Newnan.

www.thecitizennews.com/ Fayetteville/Peachtree City.

Buzz

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Anybody know Hampton?

I used to live in Hampton (live south of Hampton in Griffin now).  Hampton is nice except during race weekends. (traffic can be Hell if you don't know the backroads.) Like all towns there are bad areas,  but they are easily avoided.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Welcome back Geekdude. Haven't seen you here in a while.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#9]
a lot of the bad element of clayton is headed into henry at a growing pace. according to a henry county deputy i ran into recently, they are way too understaffed to handle the riff-raff coming from clayton. they don't even have cameras in all but 20 of their squad cars. they had to pull a lot of funding to try to hire more officers. you have to be very selective. you may want to look at the more rural areas of mcdonough. henry and forsyth are still two of the fastest growing counties in the country. what is rural now will be semi rural in a few years. what is semi rural now will be taken over by clayton in a few years.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Fayetteville is nice.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Fayetteville is nice.

And expensigve.  Peachtree City is run by a bunch of NY/NJ carpetbaggers.  That county has like 32 building inspectors.  Many counties close by have 1 or 2.  Someone (read residents) pays for the bloated civil servant offices.

Butts county, Jasper county, Monroe county have lower land prices than closer in.

Go Here for Ga. Counties
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top