Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2007 5:11:48 PM EDT
Im going to be up in Athens this friday, and was curious if there was any outdoor's stores(i.e. kayaking, camping, biking) and any good gun/gear stores? and what is the places name and where is it? i'll be coming from Augusta. thanks fellas
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Charbons, an outdoor outfitter store, is having a going out of business sale. Don't think there's a lot left at this point but it might be worth a look. They are at 5 points, the Milledge Ave / S. Lumpkin St. intersection. Theres a good bike shop next door and another good bike shop is on Baxter St. just north of where it intersects with Milledge Ave.

There's an Academy Sports on Atlanta Hwy.

The best Athens gun shops are all in the same area. Its called Bogart, Atlanta Highway, near the mall. These are Clyde Armory, the Firing Lane, and Franklins.

The Firing Lane is an indoor range with machine gun rentals and they stock some good stuff for sale - springfield armory, RRA, etc. Good folks in there too.

Clyde is a "cop shop" with a big selection of AR's, AK's, Surefire, handguns, etc. Regulary have police trade in handguns at good prices.

Franklins is a more traditional hunting, fishing, gun shop. I used to like them years back but some of the folks in there can be rude and really sling some BS - its hard to recommend them because of that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The above pretty much sums it up. Clyde is my personal favorite of the three.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I did not even realize that Charbon's was going out of business.

We also have Thorton's Pawn on highway 78 on the East side (you will pass it if you come in on 78 from Augusta). It generally has a pretty good selection for a pawn shop.

Franklin's has the best selection, followed by Clyde's. The firing lane generally has the nicest folks, though. The are all really close to each other.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Clyde's.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
anyone else?

any UGA students out there??
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Georgia Outdoor Sports is just outside the north side of town,

Schuler's is 20 miles north in Commerce.  Has a wall of guns on wires, so you don't have to ask to fondle.  Nice place.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks WooDy
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
anyone else?

any UGA students out there??

I am in my last year at UGA.

Franklins may get better soon, Arch and DC have both recently retired so customer service may improve.  A couple knowledgeable guys have also come back to work there and of course Ivan (re-loading guru and also knows what he is talking about) is still around.  A really great person comes in part time to handle the gun smithing, he is good and much better than the gun butcher (aka DC).  So, I guess the only problem still is that they artificially inflate their prices so they can negotiate down.

I like Clydes, great selection and reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Clyde Armory is my favorite local fun store - plan to visit.

Depending on the route you take from Disgusta you may drive right by Gunsite Hills
in Lexington. This is an excellent 700 yard rifle range - drop in an meet Chief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top