Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2014 2:55:31 PM EDT
Well, can we?

Have a trip tomorrow to SE Indiana, and would like to be able to carry in the car, especially since we're going through Shitcago (I-55 up to I-80 and over).
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, can we?

Have a trip tomorrow to SE Indiana, and would like to be able to carry in the car, especially since we're going through Shitcago (I-55 up to I-80 and over).
View Quote

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
Illinois, if ...
View Quote

Interesting that the word used here is "transporting".
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Illinois (chicago) politicians trust non-residents to carry in their car but us residents who pay taxes to this lovely state can't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
if you are going north on I55 to i80 east you will not go thru chicago

and you can carry unloaded and in a case, when you get to indiana if your fl permit alows you to carry just load the mag and you are god to go
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Well, can we?

View Quote

Better check the traffic conditions.  NUMEROUS fatal accidents
on I-80 in the last week.  Drifting snow, ice, lake effect, you name it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I hate to burst your Bubble . You are a resident of this State . That Law only applies to Non Residents. No you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car .
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, can we?

Looks ok to me:  http://pws.trafficwise.org/ipws/nw/index.html#

Thanks Dover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Put the gun in your console unloaded with the mag removed and it's legally transporting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:31:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I hate to burst your Bubble . You are a resident of this State . That Law only applies to Non Residents. No you cannot carry a loaded firearm in your car .
View Quote

That is only sort of true.

The UUW act has an exception in it for unloaded and encased, but the same set of exceptions allows for a firearm that is not immediately accessible, and says nothing about it being loaded.

If you want legal advice on what this means, pay your lawyer.

As always, there may be other laws in play other than UUW that need to be considered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The UUW act has an exception in it for unloaded and encased, but the same set of exceptions allows for a firearm that is not immediately accessible, and says nothing about it being loaded.
View Quote

I would suggest you go to the ISP web site and find the downloadable pamphlet: How do I transport my firearm on my person or in my vehicle.
It plainly spells out the transportation part concerning where the ammo has to be and where the hand gun has to be.  We have a IL Supreme court case stating it is legal to carry unloaded in your console.  I don't think you need a keyboard lawyer or a real one for that matter, to  figure if that would be "accessible".   Sheesh!
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:07:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I would suggest you go to the ISP web site and find the downloadable pamphlet: How do I transport my firearm on my person or in my vehicle.
It plainly spells out the transportation part concerning where the ammo has to be and where the hand gun has to be.  We have a IL Supreme court case stating it is legal to carry unloaded in your console.  I don't think you need a keyboard lawyer or a real one for that matter, to  figure if that would be "accessible".   Sheesh!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Getting information off the ISP website is good advice.

If you are referring to the Supreme Court ruling on the Michael Diggins case there is a lot more to the story than  was disseminated in the published opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyhow...  I wasn't about to carry an unloaded gun for personal protection. That's just stupid.

So I went without.  Left at 5:10AM, arrived back from Elkhart at 7:30PM.  Long day, and a shitty drive.  723 miles round trip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
On you?
In a holster?
Stop it... you're killing me over here....
View Quote

Now if he was a Wisconsin resident with a Wisconsin permit (or Florida / Florida) then yes he could indeed carry in his car through Chicago.  Illinois resident?  Head down and move along, comrade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top