Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/4/2003 6:49:34 PM EST
I will have to get a Class 3 FFL to own supressors or full auto toys.

C&R is on the way. I would like to own more than a SWD.

I hope I'm wrong. I can't afford a $1k a year liscense, and the storefront. Can anyone clarify the NC laws?
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:08:44 PM EST
I'm not positive but I don't think that you have to have a Class 3 FFL to own a Class 3 weapon. If I'm not mistaken, you only have to fill out the paper work, have the sheriff in your county sign off, and send the paper work in to the ATF. In order to have a supressor, you have to fill out the same paperwork. For some unknown reason, it sticks in my mind that you have to be finger printed to own a supressor. NCCop might be able to chime in here and help me out.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:48:33 PM EST

Reaper is exactly correct. You have to fill out an application, complete with fingerprints (& photo, IIRC...it's been a long time since I bought my last Class III). You also have to have the chief law enforcement officer of your jurisdiction (Sheriff or Chief of Police) sign off that you are OK to possess Class III. The paperwork has to be filed by a Class III dealer, with the serial number & description of the exact firearm you want to purchase filled in, then you wait for ATF to send back a letter authorizing the dealer to transfer the firearm to you.

So you have to locate the firearm you want to purchase FIRST, then fill out the paperwork & wait for ATF approval.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:30:38 PM EST
Thanks NCCop. I always find your posts so informative.

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:25:52 PM EST
Thanks for the info... I guess I'll be taking the plunge sooner, since I don't need that $1k a year license..

Now, for something totally different.....
Top Top