Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 5:44:47 AM EDT
Doesn't look good for the Board of Permit Examiners

MIDDLETOWN, CT (WFSB) -
A Middletown mother, who was arrested after pulling out a gun at another mom at a Chuck E. Cheese's last week, had her request for a pistol permit denied by police.

However, that decision was overturned by a Connecticut Appeals Board.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/21200453/arrested-middletown-mother-had-her-pistol-permit-denied-by-police
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah they are going to milk this story for all it's worth.
One question though even though she had drug convictions and was committed for mental observation I though those were automatic disqualifiers.
I thought the board dealt with the more ambigous definition of suitability?
IMHO this chick should never of had a gun
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yeah they are going to milk this story for all it's worth.
One question though even though she had drug convictions and was committed for mental observation I though those were automatic disqualifiers.
I thought the board dealt with the more ambigous definition of suitability?
IMHO this chick should never of had a gun

Arrests don't mean much, only convictions count - which is the way it should be.

So basically she was never prosecuted and she pled out of any felonies; and because actually prosecuting her would have been racist.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#3]
But what about the involuntary commitals? Or does that fall under suitability.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
But what about the involuntary commitals? Or does that fall under suitability.

I seriously doubt she was actually involunterily comitted.

She was no doubt brought to the hospital for an evaluation - and then she left.   It happens every day.   When the police pick up somebody who is hysterical and is yelling and screaming, they bring them to the (psych) hospital to be checked out.   That's not an involuntary commital in the sense of the Brady Law or CT State Law.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd love to read the minutes from that BFPE hearing.

And V6 is spot on, a Physicians Emergency Certificate does not count as an involuntary committal. Its just an involuntary evaluation, only a court can mandate someone be committed to a treatment program against their will. But having multiple PECs with weapons displayed, as the Lt stated, would certainly fit my definition of unsuitable character.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Shouldn't be hard to find really.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=3291&Q=465918

Yeaup.  

ETA:  Audio Minutes http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=3291&Q=465922
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#9]
After listening to some of the audio, it's clear that the entire article is basically a transcript of the opening statements from the hearing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#10]
1) Not exactly an "unknown" person in Middletown

2) Not a huge surprise that she pulled a gun on someone

3) She got a Permit? Uhhh???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top