Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2003 7:17:50 AM EDT
I know you must be 21 to purchase a handgun in the state of arizona. I am only 20 and was wondering if it is legal to posses a handgun. If so would it be legal to buy one from a private party(say off the EE)and would a FFL be able to recieve it for me? any input appreciated! Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You couldn't pick it up from the FFL because you are not 21.

www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03111.htm
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#2]
That link only talks about minors under 18 years of age.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I was just wondering since I'm not buying it from the FFL just picking it up if it would matter if I was 21.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#5]
You are not just picking it up. You will have to fill out a 4473 and go through the Brady Check to pick up a firearm from an FFL holder. The same as buying one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
well looks like I'm screwed. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#7]
What about a third (private) party purchase (local), or if a handgun was given to me as a gift? Could I carry open between 18-21 and still be safe?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What about a third (private) party purchase (local), or if a handgun was given to me as a gift? Could I carry open between 18-21 and still be safe?

yes 18 to possess. 21 to purchase from ffl,18 from private sales but alot of people dont know that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 1:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
yes 18 to possess. 21 to purchase from ffl,18 from private sales but alot of people dont know that.

If a "grown-up" looking 17 year-old buys a handgun in a private sale, has the seller broken the law if he doesn't check ID?

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:17:58 PM EDT
[#10]
VERY good question. I'm 17 and usually pass for about 25 with my (go-tee and mustache). LOL. I'm only 5 months from the "age of accountability," however.

Can any Mesa or Phoenix LEO's comment on this? I got an Beretta M96 as a gift a while ago, and I'd like to be able to use it sometime without having to drag my folks out to the range with me. I usually go to Ben Avery when I shoot with anyone, but there is Caswell's (sp?) down the street. Any comments?

I know they'll have to be with me when I purchase ammo, but, just to make sure from the law side of things, it would in fact be OK to drive to the range with it and go plinking, right? Many I've talked with have said that federal law supercedes state law, and federal is 21 to take a handgun anywhere, but they weren't officers.

If you, being an officer, caught me, oh, say speeding (which never happens, I always stop 5mph short of the speed limit without even looking at the speedometer for some reason), and you found this Beretta, would you take me in, or just ticket me for speeding?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 6:31:58 PM EDT
[#11]
13-3111. Minors prohibited from carrying or possessing firearms; exceptions; seizure and forfeiture; penalties; classification

A.¦¦Except as provided in subsection B, an unemancipated person who is under eighteen years of age and who is unaccompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the unemancipated person's parent or guardian, shall not knowingly carry or possess on his person, within his immediate control, or in or on a means of transportation a firearm in any place that is open to the public or on any street or highway or on any private property except private property owned or leased by the minor or the minor's parent, grandparent or guardian.

B.¦¦This section does not apply to a person who is fourteen, fifteen, sixteen or seventeen years of age and who is any of the following:

1.¦¦Engaged in lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

2.¦¦Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for the purpose of lawful hunting.

3.¦¦Engaged in lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for the purpose of shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.

4.¦¦Engaged in activities requiring the use of a firearm that are related to the production of crops, livestock, poultry, livestock products, poultry products, or ratites or in the production or storage of agricultural commodities.

C.¦¦If the minor is not exempt under subsection B and is in possession of a firearm, a peace officer shall seize the firearm at the time the violation occurs.

D.¦¦In addition to any other penalty provided by law a person who violates subsection A shall be subject to the following penalties:

1.¦¦If adjudicated a delinquent juvenile for an offense involving an unloaded firearm, a fine of not more than two hundred fifty dollars, and the court may order the suspension or revocation of the person's driver license until the person reaches eighteen years of age. If the person does not have a driver license at the time of the adjudication, the court may direct that the department of transportation not issue a driver license to the person until the person reaches eighteen years of age.

2.¦¦If adjudicated a delinquent juvenile for an offense involving a loaded firearm, a fine of not more than five hundred dollars, and the court may order the suspension or revocation of the person's driver license until the person reaches eighteen years of age. If the person does not have a driver license at the time of the adjudication, the court may direct that the department of transportation not issue a driver license to the person until the person reaches eighteen years of age.

3.¦¦If adjudicated a delinquent juvenile for an offense involving a loaded or unloaded firearm, if the person possessed the firearm while the person was the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle, a fine of not more than five hundred dollars and the court shall order the suspension or revocation of the person's driver license until the person reaches eighteen years of age. If the person does not have a driver license at the time of adjudication, the court shall direct that the department of transportation not issue a driver license to the person until the person reaches eighteen years of age. If the court finds that no other means of transportation is available, the driving privileges of the child may be restricted to travel between the child's home, school and place of employment during specified periods of time according to the child's school and employment schedule.

E.¦¦Firearms seized pursuant to subsection C shall be held by the law enforcement agency responsible for the seizure until the charges have been adjudicated or disposed of otherwise or the person is convicted. Upon adjudication or conviction of a person for a violation of this section, the court shall order the firearm forfeited. However, the law enforcement agency shall return the firearm to the lawful owner if the identity of that person is known.

F.¦¦If the court finds that the parent or guardian of a minor found responsible for violating this section knew or reasonably should have known of the minor's unlawful conduct and made no effort to prohibit it, the parent or guardian is jointly and severally responsible for any fine imposed pursuant to this section or for any civil actual damages resulting from the unlawful use of the firearm by the minor.

G.¦¦This section is supplemental to any other law imposing a criminal penalty for the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon. A minor who violates this section may be prosecuted and convicted for any other criminal conduct involving the use or exhibition of the deadly weapon.

H.¦¦This section applies only in counties with populations of more than five hundred thousand persons according to the most recent decennial census. Counties with populations of five hundred thousand persons or less according to the most recent decennial census, or cities or towns within those counties, may adopt an ordinance identical to this section.

I.¦¦A person who violates subsection A is guilty of a class 6 felony.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#12]
So since I don't get up before 5am, and 10:00 is too dark for shooting anyway, I'm all set to go to the range with my Beretta, provided it is unloaded, even though I'm only 17. Gotcha. Thanks for that reference. Very interesting. I assume I can now go enjoy myself with all of my goodies, then. I'll have to make an effort to go do that sometime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top