Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2004 4:23:55 PM EDT
Where are some infantry units located? I am having trouble finding info on the web.  also isnt there a calvery unit around here somewhere? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't swear to it, but isn't there a Cav unit at Papago Park? I know there is an MP company there.

I know some guys that fly Apaches out of Marana...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Arizona has no infantry units, no cav, no armor, nada, zip, nil.  The only combat arms in the state are two artillery batallions.

The closest you can get to being a grunt is to go artillery as a 13F, aka FISTer, aka a forward observer.   1/180  FA is direct support to the 11th ACR and has a shit load of FO slots, most of which are filled by ex Army or Marine infantry types.  1/180 is currently activated and home deployed for Noble Eagle.  2/180 has their warning order and is deploying to Iraq (as MPs) around January.

There are  two  MP companies,  the 855 which just got back from Iraq (with 20 Purple Hearts) and the 860th which is just now being formed from scratch and is Iraq bound in the next few months.

There is also an Engineer Company.  The 258th (??) I don't think they are really high speed sapper type engineers though.

The Marine Reserve only has bulk fuelers.  The Air Guard has the 161st Security Forces Squadron.  They don't train much for shit, but they have lots of SHORT deployments available all over the world.

The USAF Reserve has a Para Rescue detachment in Tucson, if you are a truly high speed motherfucker.

The good news for a wannabe (or usedtobe) grunt is that 1/180 is scheduled to transition to infantry very soon.  This is also the unit that has a lot of 13F slots, so its probably your best bet.  The FOs drill in Mesa on Center Street.

You can IM me if you have any other questions.  If you're going to join I could use the referral credit so shoot me an IM or Email before you do.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Id rather be in at least a infantry unit...I cannot stand pogues, no offense to anyone. I wont be finished  with my current job till late next year so hopefully that unit will be infantry by then.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
There's an EOD unit out of Casa Grande and one in Flagstaff, I believe.

TimW
Phoenix
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I just sold stuff to a guy in one of the arty units, he told me that their unit was just turned into an MP unit and is being deployed to the sandbox for security... Im pretty sure there is an MP unit in Phoenix as I remember one of their guys looking for recruits on FA.com awhile ago. I would imagine that they have deployed by now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm proud to know a member of the 855.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The soon to be infantry unit is going to be a Air Assualt unit, Kick ass.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The good news for a wannabe (or usedtobe) grunt is that 1/180 is scheduled to transition to infantry very soon.  This is also the unit that has a lot of 13F slots, so its probably your best bet.  The FOs drill in Mesa on Center Street.

You can IM me if you have any other questions.  If you're going to join I could use the referral credit so shoot me an IM or Email before you do.

OUT-FUCKING-STANDING, lightfighter!!@11

To think, the whole reason I got out of the Guard in the first place is because I couldn't stand to be a limp-dick pogue in an aviation unit any longer.

I think I'll have to check into this...      my wife's gonna be SO pissed.  

Where exactly do the FOs drill? I wasn't aware of a Guard facility on Center street.

Quoted:
The soon to be infantry unit is going to be a Air Assualt unit, Kick ass.

All the mo' better, I miss jumping out of Blackhawks into knee-deep mud and dragging a 100lb ruck 25 clicks on a movement to contact.

Time to start doing PT again!  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#9]

All the mo' better, I miss jumping out of Blackhawks into knee-deep mud and dragging a 100lb ruck 25 clicks on a movement to contact.

They don't have mud in AZ, though, you'll have to settle for dirt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#10]
my prayers have been answered.
Ive dreampt of being a grunt again, but the wife was dead set against moving from AZ.
I was hoping there would be a way that i could keep make enough money to keep my house, keep my current lifestyle, but still be able to serve again.  I was in the 256 Eng in the AZNG for a bit after  my 8 year active duty stint, and couldnt stand being in a non combat arms unit.
Its a whole new army when you go from combat arms, to a non combat arms unit.
This would be great.
EX11B out
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Where exactly do the FOs drill? I wasn't aware of a Guard facility on Center street.

They are North of University, just South of the Baseball field.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top