Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 2:57:00 PM EDT

Activists want Arizona to ban assault weapons

Posted: 09/13/2004 – 14:57:44
By PAUL DAVENPORT
Associated Press Writer

PHOENIX (AP) -- Decrying the end of a federal ban, community and gun-safety activists say they will urge the Arizona Legislature to adopt a California-style ban on assault rifles.

"These guns are military-style weapons that belong on battlefields, not our neighborhoods," said Gerry Anderson, executive director of Arizonans for Gun Safety.

A 10-year-old federal ban on sales of assault weapons expired Monday.

California's ban targets high-powered weapons, while the expired federal ban outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons, banning certain features on firearms such as bayonet mounts and large ammunition magazines.

Arizona supporters of a ban said they're worried about both random discharges of such weapons and attacks on law enforcement officers and others.

"We don't want to infringe on anybody but we want to protect our community," said Donna Neill, president of a statewide coalition of neighborhood activists.

Gun-rights supporters who monitored the news conference said they will oppose the proposed ban as ineffective and intrusive on their rights.

"I don't think there's been a whole lot of bayonet attacks recently," said Gary Christensen of Tempe.

Gun-rights supporters have been able to largely get their way in the Arizona Legislature in recent years. However, the Senate this year rejected a bill to make it legal to take guns in bars and restaurants if the person carrying the gun wasn't drinking alcohol and if the establishments didn't opt out.

Nice "balanced" news story there - four anti-RKBA statements to only two pro-RKBA ones.

Be ever vigilant.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
F'n assholes! If they want kali style laws, they should have stayed kail! Fuck them, they have no idea how many legal gun owners there are  in this state that won't put up with this shit.
Pisses me off so much I can't even type!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Arizona? LOL, that'll be the day!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya, I heard about these jackasses on the radio.  It's funny how they call themselves "Gun safety activists".  They should be called "Gun ban activists".

A rep from this group was blurting out all these statistics about all these people that support the ban, including the majority of gun owners.  She said 59% of NRA members they polled supports the ban.  I'd like to know where she got these numbers (out of her ass).
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Who the hell is Gerry Anderson ? Why not dig for dirt on this creep, as they say, know your enemy. Probably another "  nancy boy" from Kali
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Who the hell is Gerry Anderson ? Why not dig for dirt on this creep, as they say, know your enemy. Probably another "  nancy boy" from Kali

Gerry Anderson is a she, not a he.  Has been in the "anti" arena for years...helped orgainze the MMM march of several years ago.  Claims brother was killed by an assault weapon.

Her brother, who was a cop, was killed by an SKS, which (apart from CA) isn't classified as such.  He was not killed in the line of duty but as part of some hunting fiasco gone wrong, from what I recall.

AzRickD called the SO involved and was told "heck, around here, that's a deer rifle..."

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Short and sweet

they need to shut the F**K up.

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info TimW, I guess you can't assume anything these days . O.K--, so he's a bitch !
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#9]
We need to keep an eye on these assholes-- I bet that California residents said the same thing we said "could NEVER happen here..!" in the early 80's.....

Always wary,

Mike
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 9:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We need to keep an eye on these assholes-- I bet that California residents said the same thing we said "could NEVER happen here..!" in the early 80's.....

Always wary,

Mike

I've signed up for their emails, d3struction from within!
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I just sent them a nice letter....
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:49:43 AM EDT
[#12]
The main page of the ARIZONANS FOR GUN SAFETY web site features the old lie from the CDC report, "Every day in the US 12 children are killed by guns. That is one every two hours."
www.azgs.org/

I don't think they'll have much influence on anyone but liberal politicians and other proponents of the nanny state.  But... we should definitely keep an eye on their actions.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:10:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I knew as soon as they stated moving here from a state that they totally fucked up, they would start on us.
Sorta like the Borg from Star Trek, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:27:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't think they'll have much influence on anyone but liberal politicians ...

... You mean like our State Governor?

... Guys, we can't be smug about this, I'm not so sure that Democrat Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano wouldn't simply sign into law a ban like Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger did on law AB 50 (50 caliber ban) on September 13, 2004 (he irony) if given the chance.

... Arizona isn't the Goldwater conservative bastion it once was. Been to Flagstaff lately? If it were up to their vote alone we would have ourselves a California style assault weapons ban in Arizona tomorrow.

… Stay vigil; study your State politics. It will be up to our activism the will prevent a statewide ban.

… Apathy, overconfidence and the "it can't happen here" mentality will doom us.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Flagstaff is a liberal infestation.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 9:30:11 AM EDT
[#16]
ASG had been around for quite a few years...even before the MMM event back in 2000 or so.

Where have you guys been?  

Now...can't let the cat out of the bag...but if you are SERIOUS about wanting to head some sort of legislation like this off at the pass, esp. those in the Phoenix area, keep your eyes peeled.  We're working on something that we cannot yet announce (within the next day or two), that will focus on one of the legislative races...including a recall petition should this person be elected (which we think likely at the moment).

This WILL require WORK...pounding the pavement for signatures (if needed), calls, getting the word out, supporting less liberal candidates, etc.

We will expect action, not whining.
I will not be a part of something that is done by the same 3 people who always work, and where everyone else expects to be entertained by Tales of Wonderful Exploits.

Gunnies have too long done nothing other than dial. We will want SHOELEATHER activism, and we'll have plenty of it.

This is one of the more exciting projects I've been associated with for a long time...and you'll find out why, soon.

So, for now, enjoy your gun builds and such.  Because THIS is what this project is all about.

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
"The Second Amendment is NOT about Hunting. Never has been, never will be."
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't care if they do ban all the EBRs. I'm not giving up mine...or registering them...or burying them.  I'm not budging one friggin' inch.  Molon Labe, me hearties!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
dont fall in the trap democrats are full of crap!! i live in the prk...happy you guys got a lil more freedom back!
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think they'll have much influence on anyone but liberal politicians ...

... You mean like our State Governor?

... Guys, we can't be smug about this, I'm not so sure that Democrat Arizona Governor Janet Napolitano wouldn't simply sign into law a ban like Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger did on law AB 50 (50 caliber ban) on September 13, 2004 (he irony) if given the chance.

... Arizona isn't the Goldwater conservative bastion it once was. Been to Flagstaff lately? If it were up to their vote alone we would have ourselves a California style assault weapons ban in Arizona tomorrow.

… Stay vigil; study your State politics. It will be up to our activism the will prevent a statewide ban.

… Apathy, overconfidence and the "it can't happen here" mentality will doom us.

AFAIK, even though our Governor is a liberal, she is still fairly conservative when it comes to gun ownership.  Given that AZ is considered the "wild west" when it comes to gun rights/ownership, I think most politicians know that being anti-gun is not the way to get (re)elected.  If anyone has the time or inclination, I'd love to hear what the Governor's office says her "official" stance on the AWB was/is.  The Governor's office number is 602-542-4331.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:43:39 PM EDT
[#20]
During the MMM / AGS "heyday" of several years ago, then-AG Janet spoke at the bit "to do" at the Phoenix LIbrary.  When everyone was clamoring for gun restrictions, etc., she came out and said "Listen, gun ownership in Arizona is legal. Get over it.", or words to that effect.

She is politically savvy enough to realize that for her to touch this issue would hurt any future political aspirations.  She may or may not support a ban.  However, she's not stupid enough to front it.  Like most smart pols, someone else will do it "for her."

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Did somone ask what the gov's postion on gun conrtol is?????

From the her campagn website in 2002:

Q: What is your position on the second amendment?

A: The right to bear arms is enumerated in the Constitution, and is therefore fundamental to the liberty interests of all Americans. I believe elected officials have a duty to ensure that these interests are not abridged. My position on the 2nd Amendment is simple: existing laws related to firearms and their possession are a sufficient framework by which to ensure the safety of all Arizonans. Rather than focusing on new legislation, we must first be vigilant in our enforcement of the laws that are on the books. We must step up outreach and education efforts to ensure that gun safety is at the top the agenda, and work together to mitigate tragic accidents that result from unsupervised firearm use by children. Parents talking to their children about gun safety and practicing gun safety in front of them will accomplish this goal, new legislation will not.
Source: Campaign web site, www.GoJanet.org, "Issues" Sep 9, 2002

* Click here for definitions & background information on Gun Control.

I'm, thinking were doing ok.........For while. Once they see that there are no bloodbaths (crosses fingers that no crazies go crazy with an AW) the rhetoric will slow down.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 2:02:23 AM EDT
[#22]
If thethese  idiots  are so concerned about such things happening here in Arizona they could always move back to Kalifornia .Im sure that there are plenty here that would be glad to help them pack.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm, thinking were doing ok.........For while. Once they see that there are no bloodbaths (crosses fingers that no crazies go crazy with an AW) the rhetoric will slow down.

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Again, you are using a flawed assumption....that the anti's will use LOGIC in this argument.

It matters not to them whether there is no "blood in the streets".  We've had CCW for 10 years without problems, and when someone tries to allow CCW holders to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, the cries of "blood in the streets" begins anew. (I thought that the CCW restrition to that bill was shortsighted...but that's my opinion)

The goal is to ban guns, period. No matter WHAT they say. I think you intuitively know and understand this, but don't want to accept that there are people who want to take away everyone's guns except for cops and military.  No arguments, stats, lack of 'blood in the streets' or examples of lives saved by DGUs will convince them otherwise.

Just as none of their arguments, stats, "if it just saves one life", etc., will change mine.

It's a cultural/philosophical WAR that is being waged.  Nothing less.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tsk, tsk, tsk.  Again, you are using a flawed assumption....that the anti's will use LOGIC in this argument.

It matters not to them whether there is no "blood in the streets".  We've had CCW for 10 years without problems, and when someone tries to allow CCW holders to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, the cries of "blood in the streets" begins anew. (I thought that the CCW restrition to that bill was shortsighted...but that's my opinion)

The goal is to ban guns, period. No matter WHAT they say. I think you intuitively know and understand this, but don't want to accept that there are people who want to take away everyone's guns except for cops and military.  No arguments, stats, lack of 'blood in the streets' or examples of lives saved by DGUs will convince them otherwise.

Just as none of their arguments, stats, "if it just saves one life", etc., will change mine.

It's a cultural/philosophical WAR that is being waged.  Nothing less.

While the anti's are sure to hate guns consistently, the people that make the laws tend not to do so unless there is a "problem", like maniacs mowing down McDonalds customers with "assault rifles" with more thrusts per squeeze. So, as long as we can keep the maniacs cool for a while, the "movement", which has been enhanced by all of the coverage of the AWB death, will slow to a halt in Arizona.

This is of course, easily negated by one fucko killing someone with a thrust squeezer....
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Here's the thing:

Kyrsten Sinema (www.sinema2004.org) is a former Green Party candidate running as a "D" in district 15.  She is hard core liberal, though refutes claims she is a Marxist.

She's had email exchanges with RickD basically saying she thinks all guns should be banned.

There are two groups that are eager to file an Arizona version of CA's AWB.  Given recent election results, Kyrsten is a likely candidate to either sponsor or co-sponsor such a bill.

Now, she hasn't been elected yet...she's running against someone in the general in November. Given past leanings of that district, though, she's a practical shoe-in.

A.R.S. 19-202 allows for a recall petition to be filed 5 days after a legislator is sworn in/starts work.

We can not think of anyone who would be more proud to work on something like this.

She was on the Charles Goyette show this a.m. and we had a plan to get her to admit / deny if she would sponsor such an animal.

Unfortunately, some gunnies are the best as Maneuver Warfare in politics, instead preferring attrition warfare.  IOW, someone came on and in a rather accusatory fashion asked her about a CA AWB.  Not how I would have done it, but she did admit to being in favor of such a beast.

When I finally got on, I at least got her to admit she wouldn't sponsor, nor has anyone approached her to sponsor or co-sponsor, such legislation.

Of course, you can tell a politician is lying when they move their mouth.

We need to work on making sure she loses at the polls, if that's at all possible.  Does anyone know her opponents and their stance(s)?

There is already a URL reserved...www.recallsinema.org...ready to get this thing rolling.

We're getting a Yahoo-group together, too.  She should know she's a political target of opportunity to give the rest of the politicians food-for-thought about supporting such legislation.  If we can defeat her at the polls before she's even elected...and make it WELL known it was the gun issue...it will send a nice message to the others to leave our rights alone.

TimW
Phoenix
Practical Tactical, LLC
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:14:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
While the anti's are sure to hate guns consistently, the people that make the laws tend not to do so unless there is a "problem", like maniacs mowing down McDonalds customers with "assault rifles" with more thrusts per squeeze. So, as long as we can keep the maniacs cool for a while, the "movement", which has been enhanced by all of the coverage of the AWB death, will slow to a halt in Arizona.

This is of course, easily negated by one fucko killing someone with a thrust squeezer....

Yep - it only takes one.

And there's a fucko born every minute.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:06:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
And there's a fucko born every minute.

Or, if you believe in conspiracy theories, made.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:20:26 PM EDT
[#29]
You guys I have read through the thread and I can tell you that they are testing the waters right now.I would squash them ASAP as they will do back door deals just like how we lost the .50bmg fight yesterday.I wish you guys luck with your new problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:01:26 PM EDT
[#30]
exellent work tim, i will help in any way i can if you let me know specifics as to what needs done in the future. as you know i'm not the most politically and legally savy guy but i want to help. your a great asset to az gun rights and a great gear guru. good job practical tactical!

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I will help, are you compiling a list of emails or anything yet, or do you have a website set-up for for getting and pooling info?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#32]
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=13&t=184847

Didn't think to post it here 'cause I'm an idiot.

Mike
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#33]
There is one huge difference in California and Arizona. California does not have anything in its constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms. Fortunately, Arizona does.

Arizona Constitution, Article 2 Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

FUCK CALIFORNIA!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
There is one huge difference in California and Arizona. California does not have anything in its constitution guaranteeing the right to bear arms. Fortunately, Arizona does.

Arizona Constitution, Article 2 Section 26. The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself or the state shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain, or employ an armed body of men.

FUCK CALIFORNIA!!!

Look up a case, Arizona v. Rineer, around 2000, then tell me it means anything.
Moermann (sp?) and a host of others "impair" our rights, as do the other 20.000 gun laws.

So tell me how our state Constitution will prevent something like this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top