Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2010 12:17:23 PM EDT
How about a list of qualified gunsmiths that you know for AR's?

Would be nice to get this topic TACKED too!

What part of town are they in?  Web link?
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#1]
You won't get much better than Accuracy Speaks out in Mesa.  Derreck and Marty are both top notch guys.  The shop on the Rio Salado Shooting Range Property.

-John
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeff at Arizona Armory,more than qualifies for this.Highly Recommneded.He'll treat ya right...

[email protected]
Link Posted: 1/31/2010 6:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve @ Action Magic Gunsmithing. Former mil and PD, knows his shyte.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for Tacking.....should help the newbies......like me!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By john308:
You won't get much better than Accuracy Speaks out in Mesa.  Derreck and Marty are both top notch guys.  The shop on the Rio Salado Shooting Range Property.

-John

While we may not get "better", we might find ..... more reasonable?  Good greif......I'll go broke!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By elkoholic:

-John

While we may not get "better", we might find ..... more reasonable?  Good greif......I'll go broke!

Sticker Shock ???  For top notch smithing at an affordable price is why i use AZ Armory,Jeff wont break you with the biil.....

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elkoholic] [#7]
Great thanks!  Where in valley is he located?  His website is not up yet!
Link Posted: 2/6/2010 11:58:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By elkoholic:
Great thanks!  Where in valley is he located?  His website is not up yet!

He has a private shop,by appointement,here's his info.

Jeff Covino
Arizona Armory    07 FFL
#602-819-4615
[email protected]

Has a wide selection of AR15 parts in stock,Good guy to deal with.

Link Posted: 2/23/2010 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Anyone know of reputable smiths who work on bolt guns, specifically Remington 700's?

mfn
Link Posted: 2/23/2010 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By myfakename:
Anyone know of reputable smiths who work on bolt guns, specifically Remington 700's?

mfn

Precision Magnum works on them.They are located inside Shooters World,just ask any Shhoters World employee to point you the Precision Magnums shop.

Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#11]

-John

Derrick Martin literally wrote the book on ARs. I would rather have him work on one of my rifles than any other human being. Unfortunately, his shop is on the dark side of the moon, so I bring my rifle to Ward at Magnum Precision.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:10:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: elkoholic] [#12]
Originally Posted By bluefalcon:

-John

Derrick Martin literally wrote the book on ARs. I would rather have him work on one of my rifles than any other human being. Unfortunately, his shop is on the dark side of the moon, so I bring my rifle to Ward at Magnum Precision.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 2:25:21 AM EDT
[#13]
looking for a 1911 gunsmith...
Link Posted: 3/24/2010 11:09:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

Link Posted: 3/27/2010 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
M1 Garand Smith?

Link Posted: 4/6/2010 8:34:31 PM EDT
[#16]
JARHEAD GUNSMITHING:Tucson one man shop that specializes in AR!%,Garands,Rem 700 and FALS  520-603-7857 ask for Chuck
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 3:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jenkem] [#17]
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By coltnut:
Originally Posted By AR_DIESEL:

Nelson Ford,gets it done right the first time.Have used him many times,outstanding work from a top pistol smith.

http://www.thegunsmith.com/thegunsmith.html

Just be aware that Nelson does know more than you about 1911s and advice will be flowing from him to you, not the other way around. The fact that he's right and does darn good work is mildly irritating also.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 for Nelson Ford for any 1911 work or Smith & Wesson Revolver work.

If you need any AR15 Gunsmithing work done we would be happy to take care of you.  Below you will find our contact info:
American Spirit Arms
15651 N 83rd Way, Suite 2
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Hope the info helps.
Dan
American Spirit Arms
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/28/2010 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#20]
AR-15  Scott at Specialized Dynamics in Chandler
Rem 700  Phil Hayes in Glendale
1911 Ed Cameron at Camerons Custom in Scottsdale
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Jeff at Arizona Armory,more than qualifies for this.Highly Recommneded.He'll treat ya right...

[email protected]

This. Best gun smith and prices in the Valley...maybe even the state.
Link Posted: 9/22/2010 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Airforcewes:

[email protected]

This. Best gun smith and prices in the Valley...maybe even the state.

Abso-freakin-lutely! Jeff just did a build for me and I couldn't be happier. I was able to add some extra goodies due to his excellent pricing! Only downside is that he is a busy dude and you will have to work around his schedule...not yours. Still worth the hassle.

Link Posted: 9/28/2010 1:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I'll give a big thumbs up for Dan @ American Spirit Arms.  I bought an old A1 upper on UZI Talk and took it to Dan who put together the complete upper using one of their 11.5" bbls.  Oh, they did it in 1 hour and I was a walk-in!
Link Posted: 10/6/2010 10:04:08 PM EDT
[#24]
looking for a gunsmith in the prescott area that knows M1As
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By AmericanSpiritDan:

If you need any AR15 Gunsmithing work done we would be happy to take care of you.  Below you will find our contact info:

American Spirit Arms

Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Hope the info helps.

Dan

American Spirit Arms

[email protected]

+1 on American Spirit Arms.

Anything AR-related; awesome.

Link Posted: 1/11/2011 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#26]
How about fellow arfcommers with the proper tools?  I've got all the tools needed for pretty much anything on an AR-15 except for drilling FSB pins and would be more than willing to help out anyone who wants to learn how to do it themselves.  These are VERY easy to work on and get easier the more you do, installed a 4 rail YHM free float and folding FSB in about 20 minutes last night for a friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 7:20:02 AM EDT
[#27]
+1 for American Spirit Arms I bought one of their M4"s and have had no problems got 2000+ rounds thru and shoots 1 moa with right ammo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 4:18:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By guns_up:
looking for a gunsmith in the prescott area that knows M1As

ask for Kristopher at JGsales he knows his shit
Link Posted: 6/18/2011 1:32:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Hi Guys!  Allow me to introduce myself.  My name is Mike and I am located in Casa grande and can take on almost anything you can throw at me.  If it is something I can not handle, believe me, I will tell you.  No way I will tackle any job that might ruin anybody's gun. Give me a shout with what you have and let's see if we can get together to work it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2011 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#30]
anyone know a gunsmith near phoenix who does custom work?
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:33:27 AM EDT
[#31]
8/17/11 Jeff Covino repaired and re-barreled my very ill AR, on the spot for a reasonable price. I could not have been more satisfied. Thanks to Nelson Ford (another excellent ‘smith) for the referral. My AZ ‘smiths for steel and wood Nelson Ford, plastic Jeff Covino.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 1:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Bronus Shooting near Deer Valley Airport.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 6:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
+1 on American Spirit Arms, very helpful.
Link Posted: 4/25/2012 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#34]
My buddy Magnum Mike is more than capable of doing anything AR related. He has a full machine shop set up. He does custom 1911's, revolvers and precision rifles. My only problem is I don't have enough cash to keep up with the stuff he dreams up. The next project is a .500 S&W lever action.

The website is a work in progress.
Magnum Mike's
Link Posted: 5/3/2012 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi everyone I live in Gilbert and currently enrolled through AGI for my Gunsmith training. I will be working out of my garage just as soon as the ATF gets my FFL back to me. My company name will be San Tan Gun Works I will be doing sales repair and custom work on most guns handguns shotguns rifles etc. One of the reasons why I decided to get into gunsmithing is because they are far and few around, most of the ones I found were not interested in doing work on black guns, they were old guys not wanting to take on any new work, they were way to busy to get anything back out in a reasonable time. I will be set up to work on AR's,AK's I have a lathe and mill to turn barrels make custom parts if needed. [email protected]   602-818-3562
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#36]

[email protected]

It's  http://azarmory.net/
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 11:33:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Anyone around the NW Peoria Area that wants to help install a freefloat??
Link Posted: 5/20/2013 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#38]
I use Jesse at bestshotllc.com.  He's admittedly expensive, but a very personable guy who does fantastic work.  I find many gunsmiths in the valley to be very snotty and have bad attitudes.  Jesse is quick to respond to emails and happy to talk to you on the phone.  He works out of his house around 83rd ave and cactus.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 4:17:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Anybody know a gunsmith that can make gas blocks for an unusual size? (.978)
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:00:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZshooter71] [#40]
Big +1 for Jeff at AZ Armory. High quality work, great pricing and fast turnaround. I'm a very happy customer.

He did the KAC rail, low profile has block install and the pin/weld on the FH:

Love this rifle!
ETA: He also bore sighted the BUIS and the Aimpoint. Both sights were spot on during my first trip to the range.
Link Posted: 11/1/2013 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Now a loyal customer of American Spirit Arms.  Cheap, quick, good work.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Looking for an AR smith close to Glendale/Peoria to install barrel, torque barrel nut, FH, and pin shaved FSB and align rail.  Nothing too tricky.  Not worth it to buy my own reaction rod or block.  Saw some in this list but from 2011.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Thad at Derby Guns in Scottsdale. In the shop most every Saturday. Just back from over "there" very knowledgeable,  S&W M&P, AR15, 1911.Glocks, Remington Shotguns and the list goes on.Stop by on Saturdays or give him a call 480 946 2580
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Area15 in Mesa (Greenfield and Broadway) is great. Both Chris and Steve over there are very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

-John
View Quote

Second that Derreck is thebest
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By AmericanSpiritDan:

American Spirit Arms
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Hope the info helps.
Dan
American Spirit Arms
[email protected]
View Quote

After checking out this thread I decided to give American Spirit Arms a chance since they were fairly close by. I had an upper that has been giving me a headache and had them check it out. They were able to do the work I needed done and did it for a fair price and got it done fast. I will definitely continue to go to American Spirit for any AR-smithing I need....
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 6:00:05 PM EDT
[#47]
My third project with Jeff Covino is in his shop now.  Good guy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
I recently sent a barreled upper to a buddy of mine who lives about 2 hours north in Flagstaff, so that's resolved for the moment... But for future reference, do any local gunsmiths in the East Valley (Mesa) area have the ability to remove & install stubborn front sight gas block taper pins? Hammers & punches only go so far, a hydraulic press would be ideal.

That seems to be the only part of my builds/rebuilds/assembly that give me issues I cannot easily solve. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to a workbench, so even with my vise and tools, I'm limited.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:40:16 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By TacticalPlinker:

I recently sent a barreled upper to a buddy of mine who lives about 2 hours north in Flagstaff, so that's resolved for the moment... But for future reference, do any local gunsmiths in the East Valley (Mesa) area have the ability to remove & install stubborn front sight gas block taper pins? Hammers & punches only go so far, a hydraulic press would be ideal.

That seems to be the only part of my builds/rebuilds/assembly that give me issues I cannot easily solve. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to a workbench, so even with my vise and tools, I'm limited.
View Quote
Try heating the pins with a map gas torch first.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:42:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacticalPlinker] [#50]
Originally Posted By RyanAmericanSpirit:Try heating the pins with a map gas torch first.
View Quote

I tried everything I could, except heat. But I assume that would of not changed my results and here is why... I sent the barreled upper my gunsmith buddy in Flagstaff, and I spoke with him last night. He tried the hydraulic press but bent 2 punches. He then tried to drill out the taper pin and though he was finally successful, it came at the cost of 2 drill bits. It will be one-step short of a literal miracle if the front sight gas block is still able to be securely installed with new taper pins.

I have absolutely zero idea what happen to that pin to make it nearly impossible to remove, because I was able to remove the 1st taper pin without issue, just as I've been able to remove taper pins from 2 additional barreled uppers (different manufactures), again without issue.

In addition, I'm disappointed at the manufacture of the barreled upper in question, not because that single taper pin was nearly impossible to remove for no apparent reason, but because both of the taper pins were drilled & installed from the wrong side of the front sight gas block, contrary to mil-spec... I also have a suspicion some sort of "JB Weld like compound" was used on the flash hider, but that's a different story.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Tacked Arizona AR-15 Gunsmiths (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top