Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2011 9:25:01 PM EDT
?

a spin-off thread from here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_32/468813_St__Louis_training_group__Now_with_a_poll.html

Edit to add: be advised: $550 - 2 day course | students provide their own ammo: 1500rds, 150rds pistol
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
If no, then what class?
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:33:00 PM EDT
[#2]
With enough notice I would be in for any date, with short notice fri/sat are out for me.

Just a thought though, a range in/around Columbia would probably really increase participation from the west side of the state. Only puts the class a couple hours from both KC and STL.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
With enough notice I would be in for any date, with short notice fri/sat are out for me.

So if I put out a "training schedule" and put the class pretty much at 1 year from today, would you be good to go for a Saturday & Sunday class?

Just a thought though, a range in/around Columbia would probably really increase participation from the west side of the state. Only puts the class a couple hours from both KC and STL.

Noted

Link Posted: 11/13/2011 11:34:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be in however it would have to be close to St. Louis for me due to the fact that I am 1+ hour south of St. Louis.

Columbia would be out of the question for me if this would be a 2 day thing. It would only make sense for me if I would stay over and that would ad to the cost of the class for me.

Also I can not leave my dogs for 2 days alone. So again count me in if this is close to St. Louis or in St. Louis

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:22:55 AM EDT
[#5]
i'd be in irrelevant of where!  Since my basic carbine course i've caught the training bug!
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I voted pie.....

All depends on how far out we are speaking. This would be due to saving up the $$$ to be able to attend.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:30:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I voted pie.....

All depends on how far out we are speaking. This would be due to saving up the $$$ to be able to attend.

This.

But if it is a year out like OP stated I would be golden.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I voted pie.....

This.

But if it is a year out like OP stated I would be golden.

i voted yes but would like it scheduled way in advance
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I would be in however it would have to be close to St. Louis for me due to the fact that I am 1+ hour south of St. Louis.

Columbia would be out of the question for me if this would be a 2 day thing. It would only make sense for me if I would stay over and that would ad to the cost of the class for me.

Also I can not leave my dogs for 2 days alone. So again count me in if this is close to St. Louis or in St. Louis

Hotels can be found in the 60$ range with notice, and if you have someone that you can stand to spend the night with sharing a room can significantly reduce the cost.

That being said, for the West side we are going to have to stay over either way, so it shouldn't matter that much if its in CoMo or STL, but a 4 hour drive on would almost make me want to stay the night before also, and two nights in a hotel can really jack up the price of a class.

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
and two nights in a hotel can really jack up the price of a class.

....just typing outloud.....

Standard tuition      - $550
Carbine Ammo       - ~900 (guesstimate)
Pistol Ammo           - ~75  (guesstimate)

Chow - Average $10\meal for 2 days, total comes to 1585.

Billeting - Drury Inn - Columbia is $127/Night (figure 140 after taxes), for 2 nights, total comes to $1865.

Transportation -  lets figure for the high end of $200 for gas for the entire weekend (rates may increase, may need to make extra trips to wendys, etc)  new total comes to $2.065.00

This is an extremely HIGH estimate, but it is just giving a very rough idea of how much people need to start saving.  There are a lot of things that can lower the final price, like cost of ammo, getting a group rate for the hotel, sharing a hotel room, or carpooling for the weekend.

So long story long, start setting up a money jar where your wife and kids can't find it, start picking up ammo whenever you get a chance, and ask for gas/hotel gift cards for Christmas.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and two nights in a hotel can really jack up the price of a class.

....just typing outloud.....
Standard tuition      - $550

Carbine Ammo       - ~900 (guesstimate)

Pistol Ammo           - ~75  (guesstimate)

Tuition total              $1525 (just to be in the class)

Chow - Average $10\meal for 2 days, total comes to 1585.

Billeting - Drury Inn - Columbia is $127/Night (figure 140 after taxes), for 2 nights, total comes to $1865.

Transportation -  lets figure for the high end of $200 for gas for the entire weekend (rates may increase, may need to make extra trips to wendys, etc)  new total comes to $2.065.00
This is an extremely HIGH estimate, but it is just giving a very rough idea of how much people need to start saving.  There are a lot of things that can lower the final price, like cost of ammo, getting a group rate for the hotel, sharing a hotel room, or carpooling for the weekend.

So long story long, start setting up a money jar where your wife and kids can't find it, start picking up ammo whenever you get a chance, and ask for gas/hotel gift cards for Christmas.
Tuition: 550$

Carbine: 550$ for 1500rnds of LC m855 using current pricing off quick google search

Pistol: 75$ for 150rnds (wally world pricing off the top of my head)

Meals: 60$ (10/meal avg 3meals/day x2 days)

Gas: 150$ (figure 800mi round trip at 20mpg and 3.50/gal is $140). This could easily be cut in half for those that live in STL/KC since its closer to 200mi each way)

Hotel: 200$ (Many in the 75$ range in CoMo that aren't bad)

Total out to 1585 and I suspect it could be done much cheaper, hell you could shave off a couple hundred by camping, and ammo costs could come down allot by using something like silver bear, food could be done for 10-15 dollars if you pack sandwiches, gas could be cut down allot if you car pool, etc...

I would still try to save up 2k or so just in case, but thats because I would like to have that 500 or so to put to a new gun

One thing that we are both leaving out though is if you have to buy any gear before the class per the magpul dynamics site you need:

A functional carbine or submachine gun chambered in 5.56x45, 5.45x39 or
7.62x39mm or standard pistol caliber weapon systems. If available, a
spare weapon system is also an excellent idea. A cleaning kit and tools
that are compatible with the weapon system(s) in question is also a
must. Each student should have a minimum of 5 working magazines.
Sometimes magazines will make it in your dump bag and sometimes they
won't. If they hit the ground they can become fouled, causing weapon
malfunctions and time off the line.

• Note pad, and pen/pencil

• Clothing suited to strenuous type activity as well as being seasonally appropriate

• Appropriate foot wear

• Rain gear / cold weather gear (seasonal)

• Ear pro (electronic preferred)

• Eye pro, which wraps around

• Clear lenses for night shoots

• Baseball style hat recommended

• Primary weapon sling, single point, or a good system that allows
    flexibility for transitions and reaction side weapon manipulations

• A rig that can carry a minimum of four (4) primary magazines on your person

• Functioning secondary weapon system, and three working magazines

• A holster and magazine pouch that will retain your equipment when moving

• Primary weapon mounted light

• Secondary weapon mounted or handheld light

• Spare bulbs and batteries for all lights

• Tools that work on your weapon

• Weapons lube

• Optics will require adjustment tools and spare batteries

• Water hydrating device

• Knee and Elbow pads (optional)

• Gloves (optional)

• An open mind.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 9:14:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Just let me know where to send the check...

Bill
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just let me know where to send the check...

Bill

Same here, I'm in STL but would be willing to go anywhere in MO for this.  Beats having to drive to Colorado or the Carolina's where they do this most of the time.  

2nd on instructor quality.  They need to be on par with Chris and Travis.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Another thought would be to get EAG Tactical to come back to Columbia for a Carbine course.  Pat Rogers was there a year ago I believe.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:09:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget the cost to rent the range has to be worked into the mix.
Link Posted: 11/16/2011 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Definitely interested.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Don't forget the cost to rent the range has to be worked into the mix.

Thank you good sir
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok gents, I think we have enough people interetest specifically in a St. Louis area Magpul Carbine 1 class.   I think sometime towards the end of this class, we will go ahead and brainstorm for our next class.

Thank you for the replies everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top