Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/11/2005 4:24:44 PM EDT by Aimless]
Mass has their own assault Weapons ban but the allure of an AK pistol is strong..... can I own one in Mass?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:32:17 PM EDT
is it on the approved weapons roster
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:51:36 PM EDT
dont think so... anyone?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:24:35 AM EDT
The answer is no, for two reasons. First, an AK47 pistol qualifies as an assault weapon, so it is banned. Even if the manufacturer was able to modify the gun enough to get around the AWB (like Oly did with the OA-98, etc.) the AG would never approve the pistol.

The only way you can get one is to move, locate a pre-ban model ($$$$ if you can even find one for sale) or buy one with a forward grip (AOW) assuming your local CLEO will sign off.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
The AG only has control over what can be sold. (consumer protection)

Build it yourself.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:23:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 3:39:36 AM EDT by CFFUTS23]
Maxxx93 is theoretically correct. For a pistol to be a Semi-Automatic Assault Weapon (SAW) and be banned in MA, it must have the ability to accept a detachable magazine, plus any two of the following:

- Magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip
- Shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned
- Manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded
- Semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm
- Threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer

In order to build a legal AK-47 pistol, you would first have to locate a virgin AK-47 receiver that had never been built up as a rifle. If you use a rifle receiver, then you have broken Federal firearm laws that I’m not going to get into. Since you can’t buy a new AK-47 pistol receiver because of the AG’s pistol ban, you would have to buy a used, pre-ban model. The other nit is that the AWB calls out a number of specific manufactures and models as banned weapons, for example Colt AR-15. While manufactures created a loophole by creating new models that didn’t have “AR-15” in the name, it would be extremely difficult for you to locate a pre-ban virgin AK receiver that wasn’t made by Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs which are specifically called out in the ban. Assuming you can find a pre-ban receiver in MA that fits all of these criteria, you would have successfully completed the first and most difficult step in the process of your build.

The next step would be to find a federally licensed manufacturer in MA that could take possession of the receiver (you can’t because if you do you are in possession of an assault weapon) who is willing to drill enough holes in the receiver to make the entire unloaded pistol lighter than 50 ounces. This is your only option around the law because all AK-47 preban receivers use detachable magazines and have magazines attach outside of the pistol grip. If you could drill enough holes to make the weapon function and be lighter than 50 ounces you would have a weapon that qualifies as a plain jane pistol and not an assault weapon.

So yes, it is theoretically possible to do it. However it is highly unlikely since dozens of manufactures tried to beat the ban buy drilling tons of holes in receiver to come under the weight limit (Oly Arms) and by using new plastic frames (Professional Ordanance Carbon 15s, now the Bushmaster Carbon 15s) that were so light they were under the weight limit. Nobody was able to do this with an AK frame, but theoretically you could.

If you really want an AK Pistol, then get one with a forward grip (AOW) or get a Short Barreled AK Rifle (SBS). Both are available in MA assuming your CLEO will sign off. Your chance of success is much higher if you take this route.

Top Top