Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2014 7:07:07 PM EDT
That are near populated towns? I work in mining in Nevada and was just curious. I know next to nothing about Alaska. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a pretty thin list.

How far away is too far away?  To me, a two weeks on/two off is the best rotation out there.   Not many mines do that up here anymore.

The closest major mine to town is Ft. Knox out of Fox/Fairbanks.  They are usually hiring for something.

Little further away is the Pogo Mine, but they are a Mon-Thurs rotation for staff, and 2 weeks on/1 off for regular workers.  F. That.

Around Juneau, there is Greens Creek, accessible by small boat from Juneau.  V high cost of living.  Up the channel about 50 miles is the Kensington mine.

There is also the Red Dog mine, but if you are not an engineer or skilled tradesman, you need not apply (Native Hire).

There is Usibelli Coal near Healy, but it is a company town where you hire on for life.  Not bad, but...

There was a mining revival in the 80-90's, but face it, future mining beyond present operating mines is dead here.

IM me for more info.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Sumitomo Pogo, kinross Fort Knoxx, some French company Kensingon mine. Red dog is hiring
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 8:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
You do know about infomine?  This is the mining industry job board.

http://www.infomine.com/careers/jobs/

This website is updated daily.  Don't discount Canada, either.  There is far greater opportunity there than in the states, and no one cares if you don't know Canadian Football League teams.

Narrow your search down to your career field, and save it under Favorites.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Ft.Knox shitty schedules awesome place to work Kinross REALLY takes care of their employees.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help and replies guys. My wife's roots are from Alaska and we have been entertaining the idea of thinking about moving there. First I have to make sure I can make money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top