Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 4:43:19 AM EDT
For instance a Benelli M4, M1 etc.
Did not find anything on Paul's pinned note
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont think so, but you are limited to a certain capacity. I know pistol grips on pump shotguns are ok. Capacity on those is not limited.

Im sure someone will chime in mometarily with a definite answer...
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes pistol grips are legal, the AW ban say that if they have two features on the SG then you have to register them i.e. pistol grip & folding sock or pistol grip & detachable mag. Look near the top of the forum, Paul has pinned different CAL DOJ stuff reguarding AW stuff.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes pistol grips are legal, the AW ban say that if they have two features on the SG then you have to register them i.e. pistol grip & folding sock or pistol grip & detachable mag. Look near the top of the forum, Paul has pinned different CAL DOJ stuff reguarding AW stuff.

Dudes, with all due respect, since the laws are posted right here at the top of this forum, I'd expect a little more accuracy in the replies.

50_Shooter is confusing the AWB regarding rifles with the language for shotguns.  Rifles and shotguns are in fact treated differently:

(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both  of the following:

(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.

(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.

(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

I think that makes things pretty plain.  Also, your opportunity to register any shotguns so configured ended in 2000.

However, MTUSA specifically mentioned Benellis.  As these are imported semi-autos, there is also the Federal 922 law to consider.  This law is a little vague and pretty controversial, so the best thing to do is to refer MTUSA to this pinned thread in the shotgun forum.

Beyond 922 (under which I don't think anyone has been prosecuted), there is a practical reason why you can't have pistol gripped semi-autos: most semi-autos have a long recoil spring tube projecting from the rear of the receiver and running down the inside of the stock.

Aside from imported and domestic semi-autos, and shotguns with revolving cylinders, things are pretty relaxed here.  Just make sure you meet the Federal NFA requirements of a barrel at least 18" long and a 26" overall length.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:20:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Thats why I mentioned Benelli's exclusively. (Imports)
Still seems gray to me.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:44:13 AM EDT
[#5]
for the Benelli it can either have a pistol grip and hold 5 rounds or it can hold more than 5 and have a standard stock.

I really dont think any cop would really care either way though.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thats why I mentioned Benelli's exclusively. (Imports)
Still seems gray to me.

The 922 law that applies to Benellis is very gray.  There is no actual list of features and specifications that determine whether a weapon is in a "non-sporting" configuration; it's all down to BATF interpretation.  The 1994 Federal AWB has been used as a guideline.

But California law is pretty straightforward.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:38:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Of course, if you buy a Remington 870 none of that gibberish applies.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:53:47 AM EDT
[#8]
pistol grip,folding stock,collapsible stock are all LEGAL long as shotgun is pump action...but not on semi
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Of course, if you buy a Remington 870 none of that gibberish applies.

Thats the boat I was in.  I was looking at a Benelli M1, but then asked myself if I really needed a semi-auto shotgun.... I mean I could get 2 Remington 870 with pistol/collaspable stock and 7+1 extension for the same price as a stnd Benelli M1...  Went the pump way and applied the saved $$$ to cool little addon features.  

Technowizard.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep, and with a little training you can operate a pump almost as fast as a semiauto.  The actin bar is back and the shell is ejected before you have fully recoiled (at least it seems like that, I wonder if it's true).  Then you flick it forward and you're ready to go before you come down and get back on target.  It's easy to do.  Dealing with the recoil (stance, grip) is a bigger deal.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:40:52 AM EDT
[#11]
So a Remmy 870 5 round Pistol grip is legal, not a 7 round Remmy pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So a Remmy 870 5 round Pistol grip is legal, not a 7 round Remmy pistol grip.

You're not following.

The Remington 870 is a pump shotgun, which makes it pretty much unregulated in California. As long as you comply with the barrel minimum length, and the overall minimum length (18" and 26" respectively), then you can do whatever you want with it.

Once you get into Semi-auto shotguns is when it gets more confussing. In California if it has BOTH a pistol grip and a stock that changes lengths (to keep it simple for you since they have folding stocks, collapsable stocks, etc) then it is illegal. On top of that you have to follow Federal law, which is what they were talking about above in regards to imported semi-auto shotguns; it can have a pistol grip OR hold more than 5 rounds, but cant have both.

ETA: just clearified that 18 and 26 were inches.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Local shop sold me the tube extension when I picked up my super 90 and installed it on the spot.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top