Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2004 10:45:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 10:47:41 AM EST by Alien]
I did a search on the CMP website and the only thing that turned up were a couple of high schools and a 4-H club.

I'm really contemplating ordering a CMP Garand, but of course you need that shooting practice at a CMP affiliated club. The only other question I have is if surplus Garands can easily be converted to 7.62 / .308. I'd think .306 would be slightly more difficult to find, and I've seen them offered in .308 by sellers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:47:53 AM EST
I believe Rio Salado in Mesa is. Are you a veteran? Vets can just order them.

In brief .308 conversion involves a new barrel and a spacer block in the magazine for the shorter .308 cartridge. Early conversions for the barrel involved a chamber insert instead of a barrel conversion.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 1:11:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 1:39:08 PM EST by Mak]
A vet doesn't have to take any class but I think you still have to be a member of a CMP affiliated gun club. All that means is that you go to one of these club and pay the membership fee which could be as low as $20.00 for one year.
Tucson Rifle Club

Tucson Rifle Club application

Phoenix Rod and Gun Club

I’m in the U.S. military. Am I still required to belong to an affiliated club?
Yes. Every applicant must be a member of a CMP affiliated club or a State Association. To locate a club you may be interested in joining visit our Affiliated Clubs web page. NOTE: Most clubs can be joined by mail. The National Rifle Association is not an affiliated club.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I need to participate in another qualifying match?
Your application must include proof of marksmanship activity within the last five years, unless you are in one the following categories:

Active duty military, Reserves and Retirees – Submit a copy of your military ID card.
Veterans – Submit a copy of your DD214 (discharge papers showing honorable discharge.
Age 60 or older – Submit proof of age.
Handicapped or disabled and cannot participate in a qualifying match - submit a physicians report with application.

CMP Club Search Results

Alhambra JROTC Rifle Team
Phoenix
AZ

Arizona State Rifle & Pistol Association
Tempe
AZ

Casa Grande Union High School
Casa Grande
AZ

Coolidge High School
Coolidge
AZ

Copper State Detachment 906 Marine Corps League
Prescott Valley
AZ

Copper State Detachment 906 Marine Corps League
Prescott Valley
AZ

Flagstaff Shooting Assoc.
Flagstaff
AZ

Flowing Wells JROTC Rifle Team
Tucson
AZ

Maricopa County 4-H Shooting Sports
Phoenix
AZ

Mohave Sportsmans Club
Kingman
AZ

Navy JROTC Unit
Phoenix
AZ

Phoenix Rod & Gun Club
Glendale
AZ

Prescott Sportsmens Club Inc
Prescott Valley
AZ

Ray High School
Kearny
AZ

Rio Salado Sportsman's Club
Mesa
AZ

Slash K Rifle Club and Junior Division
Tucson
AZ

Southern AZ Wildlife Callers
Tucson
AZ

Tolleson Union High School
Tolleson
AZ

Tonto Rim Sports Club Inc
Payson
AZ

Tucson Rifle Club Inc.
Tucson
AZ

Westview High School
Avondale
AZ

Wickenburg Sportsman Club
Wickenburg
AZ

Williams Junior Rifle Club
Williams
AZ

Yuma Rifle & Pistol Club
Yuma
AZ

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 2:55:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 2:56:04 PM EST by tfod]
That's correct. I'm a member at Rio. I didn't have to shoot matches because of the DD-214.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:53:47 AM EST
Here's the address to the M-1 clinic that is run out at Rio. The clinic is pretty good if you've never shot highpower. At the end of the class you're eligible to order from the CMP.

arizona.rifleshooting.com/m1clinic.htm
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 5:32:50 AM EST
It seems I read somewhere that if you have a CCW you don't need to shoot a match either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 8:43:45 AM EST

Originally Posted By inthe602:
Here's the address to the M-1 clinic that is run out at Rio. The clinic is pretty good if you've never shot highpower. At the end of the class you're eligible to order from the CMP.

That's how my son and I got our Garands. Had a lot of fun, to boot!

You can join the GCA (Garand Collectors Association) for $25 to fulfill the club member requirement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:22:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By MudBug:
It seems I read somewhere that if you have a CCW you don't need to shoot a match either.

That would be evidence of markmanship ability I think. I know law enforcement can use there qualification shoots after getting the range officer to sign off that they have received the training.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:10:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mak:

Originally Posted By MudBug:

That would be evidence of markmanship ability I think. I know law enforcement can use there qualification shoots after getting the range officer to sign off that they have received the training.

From the CMP website...

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Card.
FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. A form for use in completing and certifying your range firing can be downloaded from the CMP web site at http://www.odcmp.com/forms/marksmanship.pdf
No proof required if over age 60.
NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.

CMP Elig. Req'ts
Top Top