Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2003 8:35:31 PM EDT
The kids and I made it there this year, and wanted to share our observations:

1) 2000-2100: Live Orchestra in the Amphitheatre at Trophy Point. Sounded great!
You can BYO wine and cheese.

2) At approx 2100: Have hearing protection! That makes being right behind the (5) 75mm Howitzers much more comfortable during the closing movement of the 1812 Overature. We did...many did not..our view improved greatly! (Fire Mission: On Newburgh, Fire for Effect!)
After the last volley, move left to the Amphitheatre for a better view of the Fire Works.

3) Ladies: you may want to bring some tissues. The porta-potties were out of paper rather quickly. Then you can probably sell any left over for a great profit!

4) Traffic inbound was easy (if you have a base sticker), otherwise vehicle inspections are the rule. If you know someone with a base sticker, make them drive. Prepare to walk a little bit.
Outbound traffic took a while; fortunately, my daughter had already made the urgent, but necessary, head call (see note 3).

5) If you park down near the North and Target Hill athletic fields and stay there, along the ConRail tracks, you get a great unobstructed view of the fire works. Using a boat and dropping anchor near Eisenhower Hall would be equally spectacular.

Hope to see you there next year!

Link Posted: 7/5/2003 12:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I was up by the monument at the top of the amphitheater, where were you?  We ended up behing a tree, but had a great picnic and enjoyed the fireworks anyway.  There were some HUGE fireworks that lit up the sky, I was very impressed.

HOWEVER, I was a little worried after those initial 5 went up along with the cannons, then nothing for a couple minutes!  My reaction was pretty much....THATS IT!?  Turned into the Energizer Bunny fireworks display when at the end, we were all saying...did they schedule an end???

Very nice day, except for those damn beer nazis, but we were well prepared for them!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#2]
We were right at the back edge of the taped off area for the howitzers when they started. After that was done, we infiltrated the right infield.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top