Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2013 3:32:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/29/2013 3:34:28 PM EST by Ytka]
My wife is talking about buying me a NV optic next year. Is there anywhere in Georgia where I could test several different setups? That's a nice chunk of cash to throw into something blindly. I know it will be Gen 3 and I'm pretty sure I want a monocular. The area I'm not sure about is whether I want to go with helmet or rifle mounted. It seems like helmet mounted on the non-dominant side is the preferred path these days, but I'm not sure that would work for me because of some issues with my eyes.

ETA: I will probably end up buying a DBAL to go with the setup. If that's the case, I may not even need to worry about which eye it's on.
Link Posted: 11/29/2013 5:38:23 PM EST
www.tnvc.com and look up Night Vision Monoculars (PVS-14). You can even buy it with either the "Weapons Kit" or "Helmet Kit".

I am not associated with them in anyway, just a happy customer.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 5:35:23 AM EST
The last time that I went to the national arms gun show at the expo center off 285 there were several dealers that I talked with about NV. I got some good info and was able to handle a couple of PVS14s. I was sure after that gun show that I wanted a PVS14.
Once you decide what model and especially if you decide on the PVS14 there is a huge amount of info to digest.
I am like you, going to save up the money next year and hopefully buy a set.

I believe that it will take me a year of talking to people and handling a few sets to get an idea of what version and quality that I want.
There are so many options to units that look exactly the same I can't keep all of the facts in my head at this time.
I hope to understand all of the info about PVS14s sometime this year before I buy one.
I started by reading all of the ARFcom posts with info about them.

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:21:17 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/30/2013 11:07:18 AM EST by ikickhippies]
TNVC is my go to spot for anything NV. These guys are the best in the biz and all SME's.

They have a ton of great articles on this page: Link

I have attended several events with TNVC over the past 2 years and have the opportunity to use all their kit. Short list:
TNVC PVS-14
Omni PVS-14
AN/PVS-14
PVS-15 (BNVD)
PVS-21
PVS-31 (not with TNVC but I have had the chance to look through them with a COTI at a training event)
GPNVG-18 (OK, so I didn't get to wear them, but I did get to hold a set in my hands for like 30 seconds)- This counts.
DBAL I-2
DBAL D-2
Insight IR Pistol Laser
Crimson Trace IR Lasergrips

I can say that based on my needs I went with the TNVC PVS-14. It is the Commercial Spec PVS-14. I don't wear it for work, only for training and when I want to see in the dark. It fits my needs 100%.

The PVS-14 offers the most versatility of any of the above goggles. When worn on the noggin it allows instant transition between eyes by shifting your focus from one eye to another.

I prefer the DBAL D2 over the I2 as the adjustments are slaved together. Meaning that you don't have to zero both the IR and Visible lasers independently. The D2 has an IR Illuminator that can be focused in at a certain yardage. My next laser will be a CQBL for an SBR. It's like a D2 without the illumination. Class 1 lasers is all anyone outside of the military would ever need. Even on their personal kit the TNVC guys usually run Class 1. The military grade lasers (more powerful lasers) bloom like a mother when you're lasering a man size target within 100. Indoors? Forgetabout it. They are like a damn floodlight and are unusable. Class 1 at times is even too much power.

My current rig is actually over at a friends house or i would take pictures. I am running a Team Wendy Exfil with a Norotos INVG holding the TNVC-14. Surefire IR Illuminator on the left and Princeton Tec MPLS on the right. EOG counterweight on the back to keep it all from flopping around.

Previous setup (only the helmet and IR Illuminator have changed):

Trading Place in Monroe is a TNVC Dealer. I am sure they'd let you try one out if you're seriously interested. Link They keep TNVC-14's and DBALS in stock.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:04:26 AM EST
I would like to nominate hippie kicker for owning the coolest gear.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 10:22:40 AM EST
+1

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GingerKid:
I would like to nominate hippie kicker for owning the coolest gear.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experience.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:48:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By ikickhippies:
TNVC is my go to spot for anything NV. These guys are the best in the biz and all SME's.

They have a ton of great articles on this page: Link

I have attended several events with TNVC over the past 2 years and have the opportunity to use all their kit. Short list:
TNVC PVS-14
Omni PVS-14
AN/PVS-14
PVS-15 (BNVD)
PVS-21
PVS-31 (not with TNVC but I have had the chance to look through them with a COTI at a training event)
GPNVG-18 (OK, so I didn't get to wear them, but I did get to hold a set in my hands for like 30 seconds)- This counts.
DBAL I-2
DBAL D-2
Insight IR Pistol Laser
Crimson Trace IR Lasergrips

I can say that based on my needs I went with the TNVC PVS-14. It is the Commercial Spec PVS-14. I don't wear it for work, only for training and when I want to see in the dark. It fits my needs 100%.

The PVS-14 offers the most versatility of any of the above goggles. When worn on the noggin it allows instant transition between eyes by shifting your focus from one eye to another.

I prefer the DBAL D2 over the I2 as the adjustments are slaved together. Meaning that you don't have to zero both the IR and Visible lasers independently. The D2 has an IR Illuminator that can be focused in at a certain yardage. My next laser will be a CQBL for an SBR. It's like a D2 without the illumination. Class 1 lasers is all anyone outside of the military would ever need. Even on their personal kit the TNVC guys usually run Class 1. The military grade lasers (more powerful lasers) bloom like a mother when you're lasering a man size target within 100. Indoors? Forgetabout it. They are like a damn floodlight and are unusable. Class 1 at times is even too much power.

My current rig is actually over at a friends house or i would take pictures. I am running a Team Wendy Exfil with a Norotos INVG holding the TNVC-14. Surefire IR Illuminator on the left and Princeton Tec MPLS on the right. EOG counterweight on the back to keep it all from flopping around.

Previous setup (only the helmet and IR Illuminator have changed):
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44904http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44898http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44899http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44900http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44901http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44902http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=44903

Trading Place in Monroe is a TNVC Dealer. I am sure they'd let you try one out if you're seriously interested. Link They keep TNVC-14's and DBALS in stock.
View Quote

I hate you. Just letting you know.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 4:59:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/30/2013 5:04:07 PM EST by ikickhippies]
Originally Posted By MIDGAPATRIOT:
View Quote

Funny, that is exactly what I say to the TNVC guys when we do events together. I always leave poorer than when I show up.

Silencers and NV go together like Cocaine and Waffles.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 5:02:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/30/2013 5:04:05 PM EST by MIDGAPATRIOT]

Funny, that is exactly what I say to the TNVC guys when we do events together. I always leave poorer than when I showed up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Funny, that is exactly what I say to the TNVC guys when we do events together. I always leave poorer than when I showed up.

I've decided to save for a nv setup also. My funds took a hit a few months ago when I bought a couple suppressors, that I probably won't see for another 8 months.

When Ytka gets his it'll just make it worse, then I'll really want one.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 5:09:45 PM EST
[Last Edit: 11/30/2013 5:10:14 PM EST by ikickhippies]

I've decided to save for a nv setup also. My funds took a hit a few months ago when I bought a couple suppressors, that I probably won't see for another 8 months.

View All Quotes

yeah, It's funny. We came up with the fact that NV is the new NFA. And no year long wait time. Just more expensive than silencers....
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:43:27 PM EST

yeah, It's funny. We came up with the fact that NV is the new NFA. And no year long wait time. Just more expensive than silencers....
View All Quotes

every hobby or "new" thing I get into is more expensive than the last. I'm still trying to figure out how I can afford a clip on that is 300WM and 338LP rated
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 6:53:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By KrazyL:

every hobby or "new" thing I get into is more expensive than the last. I'm still trying to figure out how I can afford a clip on that is 300WM and 338LP rated
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KrazyL:

I hear you can live on one kidney........
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 6:32:56 AM EST
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to have to just find someone local and try as many setups as I can.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 7:00:31 AM EST
Originally Posted By Ytka:
Thanks for all of the input. I think I'm going to have to just find someone local and try as many setups as I can.
View Quote

What part of GA are you in?
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:24:08 AM EST

View All Quotes

He lives in Bumfuck. Bumfuck, GA.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 2:57:15 PM EST
Good question, OP.

Except for specialized circumstances where what you're expecting to shoot is compliant with your expectation, and unless you have the coin for another NV on a helmet for full-time viewing, weapon mount-only NV is virtually useless. Are you willing and able to have your rifle shouldered constantly? Of course not. Without the weapon shouldered constantly, how are you going to spot a target in the dark?

Either get two NVs--one on a helmet and the other on the weapon--or get an NV and helmet, and a laser on the weapon for aiming, or go home. Accurate shooting from a helmet mount NV is exceptionally awkward without a laser.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:00:49 PM EST
Take a ride up to the Trading Place Pawn in Monroe GA. The owner Blake has everything TNVC carries basically. PVS14s, 18, ANVIS 6 and 7s, thermal, DBALS and so much more cool shit. The guy really likes NV and thermal stuff and can answer/ show you whatever you want in his range. I bought my PVS14 from him and he helped me out a lot.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 3:21:33 PM EST

Funny, that is exactly what I say to the TNVC guys when we do events together. I always leave poorer than when I show up.

View All Quotes

Having passed the test of not sneezing a line off the mirror, at the Command Guard Shack, just to report to the OIC @ 29 Stumps in the middle 1970's...

I'd say that you forgot the Vermont Maple Syrup and Five Star Butter Co. Butter.

But then, I'm old school.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:24:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By DaveS:

Having passed the test of not sneezing a line off the mirror, at the Command Guard Shack, just to report to the OIC @ 29 Stumps in the middle 1970's...

I'd say that you forgot the Vermont Maple Syrup and Five Star Butter Co. Butter.

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 5:43:52 PM EST

http://youtu.be/8RUO-V9BSnc
View All Quotes

http://youtu.be/8RUO-V9BSnc

that I stand corrected!!!

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:09:49 PM EST

View All Quotes

About 30 miles southwest of Macon.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:11:36 PM EST
Originally Posted By guncrazy72:
Take a ride up to the Trading Place Pawn in Monroe GA. The owner Blake has everything TNVC carries basically. PVS14s, 18, ANVIS 6 and 7s, thermal, DBALS and so much more cool shit. The guy really likes NV and thermal stuff and can answer/ show you whatever you want in his range. I bought my PVS14 from him and he helped me out a lot.
View Quote

My wife's family lives in Lawrenceville, so I'll try to get over there one day while she's visiting her folks.
Top Top