Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2013 6:06:26 PM EDT
I live in Albuquerque, NM and may have a need to meet someone who lives in San Antonio, TX halfway.  That looks like the Odessa or Midland area, more or less.

Is there anything in particular to see or do there?  What's the best time of year to visit?

Any suggestions for a more interesting meeting point?
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Lord no(Im biased because I grew up there haha), also the hotel prices are probably ridiculous due to the boom. Definitely check out hotel prices in the area before committing.

If y'all wanna meet up in West Texas really the only area I'd recommend is around Fort Davis/Alpine/Big Bend
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Worked out there in early December and was there for 2 weeks. That place sucks! No trees, no grass, no rain, and no nothing. Rooms were anywhere from $250-400 per night because of the boom.
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I didn't think about the cost of hotels.  But this is just the kind of information I was hoping to get.  I had no idea there was an oil boom distorting prices.  Thanks, guys!
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Big Spring 35 miles east of Midland. Not crap to do inless you like going fast good racing here on road and off road. We use to shoot allot but that has stop ammo hard to get not cheap anymore. That about it not much at all to do. Cost of housing is crazy. They want 900.00 a month for a one room with a TV and shower. Before the boom that was 300.00 a month. Just nuts allot of things are cheaper then most places but housing is just crazy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
You are getting a lot of replies from people that live there and most of the times, people forget what they have in their town because they have “been there, done that”, so it’s boring now.  As a visitor, as I was not too long ago, to the Midland Odessa area, I would suggest 3, maybe 4 things.

1. Meteor Crater outside of Odessa (big hole in the ground)
2. The Petroleum Museum in Midland (pretty neat place, but I am in the industry, so my opinion on oil might not matter to you)
3. The Commemorative Air force Museum at the Airport (neat place if you like old war birds and what not)

4. If you like football, you can always go drool over the stadium in Odessa where they filmed Friday Night Lights.

As said before, hotels are expensive.  I found most ran ~$300 for the night, but deals can be had too, just have to call around and find them.  I was there for a Conference at the MCM Elegante Hotel and the rate was $180 per night.  Not sure if that was discounted or not.  The place is a bit old, but it had friendly staff and most of the flight crews would stay overnight there….. (some flight attendants are good looking and like to drink a bit too much….)

Now, I have a question for you.  I will be traveling through Albuquerque in the near future going north to Colorado.  Do I stay over night in Albuquerque or in Santa Fe?  What side of town is best for me to stay overnight?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 2:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Hotels are probably going to be cheaper in Albuquerque.  Avoid the area along Gibson Boulevard (aka "War Zone").  I don't know what your budget is, but there are tons of Motel 6's and on up.  There's a Hampton Inn near the airport, right off I-25, that might work for you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
CAF at the Midland Airport.  Get to look at all the planes you've seen in movies, on TV and the History and Military History channels.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 4:24:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CAF at the Midland Airport.  Get to look at all the planes you've seen in movies, on TV and the History and Military History channels.

Grew up in Midland.  There is not a lot to do there.  

The Petroleum Museum is pretty cool.  The CAF museum or whatever they call it at the airport is cool.  

Not a whole lot more to do.  Make sure you eat at Jumburrito if you get a chance.  They are busy all the time for a reason.

It's very safe and very conservative so it's good for raising kids.  If you go in April or later you can catch a minor league baseball game.

Link Posted: 1/18/2013 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up in Midland.  There is not a lot to do there.  

The Petroleum Museum is pretty cool.  The CAF museum or whatever they call it at the airport is cool.  

Not a whole lot more to do.  Make sure you eat at Jumburrito if you get a chance.  They are busy all the time for a reason.

It's very safe and very conservative so it's good for raising kids.  If you go in April or later you can catch a minor league baseball game.

Jumburrito??? Cmon!!!! As far as fast food goes Rosas is miles ahead ;)

But yeah I guess the CAF is cool, the crater is literally just a hole in the ground which is I guess what counts for entertainment out here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for CAF and the Petroleum Museum.
If you like baseball, check out the minor league team. (Rockhounds)
Football, then catch some high school football.
Good college football in Lubbock.
Good college basketball at Chap Center.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I have stayed in a lot of hotels in Odessa and big spring (oilfield work). My advice, if you do go, stay at the holiday inn, Odessa or if that is full, the best western (I think) on the east side of Odessa.

There is also a twin peaks in Odessa now. Beer is cold.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 6:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Lord no (Im biased because I grew up there haha), also the hotel prices are probably ridiculous due to the boom.

I grew up there too and I concur

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:22:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Well as it turns out, the reason for the trip evaporated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top