Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 12:43:04 PM EDT
I'll be busting my butt in the heat during the day, but should be busy in the afternoons.  Georgetown looks tiny, just curious if there is anything interesting to do/see in the area.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a Civil War graveyard. www.sorabji.com/pictures/cemeteries/Old_Baptist
Also the historic waterfront. www.seaportgeorgetown.com
That is all I know of.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:06:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#4]
When are you going to be in the area? Where is your training? Georgetown is pretty slow, especially in the evenings.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I was thinking FLETC, but that's Brunswick, GA. The only thing I remember about Georgetown is a nice historical town with a large steel mill in the middle if it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:06:40 AM EDT
[#6]
You could also go to Charleston and check out the aircraft carrier ...USS Yorktown and the sub USS Clamagore at www.patriotspoint.org
The slave market.
Aquarium.
Fort Sumter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You could also go to Charleston and check out the aircraft carrier ...USS Yorktown and the sub USS Clamagore at www.patriotspoint.org
The slave market.
Aquarium.
Fort Sumter.

This. Charleston is awesome. Georgetown ....not so much.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just got into Georgetown. You guys weren't joking when you said there's nothing going on here!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:57:49 PM EDT
[#9]
The closest movie theater is in Myrtle Beach, about 40 Minutes north.

As far as eating, there are the usual fast food places. Lands End is OK, the Ball and Que is OK, and Bills BBQ is good. If you want some good seafood for dinner, ride up to Murrells Inlet and check out 17 business. There are a bunch of places to choose from up there.

There is a carriage ride through Georgetown, but I have never ridden it.

Pawleys Island is the closest beach. Huntington Beach State Park is a little farther north on 17. Brookgreen Gardens is good if you are into flowers and statues.

If you have time to ride to Charleston, there is a bunch of historical stuff to do.

I don't know if you drink, but the few bars in town are pretty skanky.

The short story is, G-town is pretty low speed. If you want to do anything "cool" you are probably going to have to ride to Myrtle Beach.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a public range down Hwy 17 south about 15 miles. There is also a gun shop and range in Murrells Inlet about 25 minutes away.  Decent place to shoot. Plenty of golf and lots of places to eat. If you go to Charleston you can see Boone Hall Plantation, Yorktown etc. I have no idea what time they close.
Go up to Murrells Inlet to eat at least once. Nance's, Drunken Jacks or any of the Bovine places are good to eat.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:12:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There is a public range down Hwy 17 south about 15 miles. There is also a gun shop and range in Murrells Inlet about 25 minutes away.  Decent place to shoot. Plenty of golf and lots of places to eat. If you go to Charleston you can see Boone Hall Plantation, Yorktown etc. I have no idea what time they close.
Go up to Murrells Inlet to eat at least once. Nance's, Drunken Jacks or any of the Bovine places are good to eat.

Better yet the SO range on HWY 51 is also open to the public.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better yet the SO range on HWY 51 is also open to the public.

"SO"? More details, please.

How close to Surfside/Myrtle is this place you speak of?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#13]
The Georgetown County Sheriffs office range is on SC 51 in between US 701 and the jail. It is open to the public except during the times that the SO is using it. You need to get a permit from the Sheriffs office. It is about 30 minutes from Surfside.

The range is only so-so, with 25 yard barricades. You can get 100 yards for rifle, if no one else is shooting. The main advantage is that it is FREE and if you live in Georgetown, it saves a 30 minute ride to one of the USDA ranges.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Georgetown County Sheriffs office range is on SC 51 in between US 701 and the jail. It is open to the public except during the times that the SO is using it. You need to get a permit from the Sheriffs office. It is about 30 minutes from Surfside.

The range is only so-so, with 25 yard barricades. You can get 100 yards for rifle, if no one else is shooting. The main advantage is that it is FREE and if you live in Georgetown, it saves a 30 minute ride to one of the USDA ranges.

Thanks for the heads up.  I thought the closest outdoor public range was Francis Marion National Forest (still haven't made the trek there yet).

Is there a fee for the permit to use the range?  Also, is there an RO standing over your shoulder constantly?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#15]
"I think" it may cost $25.00 for the permit, I am not sure. The times that I have been out there, there may be two or three regulars shooting. I have never seen an RO out there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:34:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
"I think" it may cost $25.00 for the permit, I am not sure. The times that I have been out there, there may be two or three regulars shooting. I have never seen an RO out there.

OK, thanks much for all the info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The slave market.
Aquarium.
Fort Sumter.

This. Charleston is awesome. Georgetown ....not so much.

I second this!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top