Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/2/2004 9:42:25 PM EST
Here I am trying to figure out what to build, and everywhere i find ananswer to a question i am faced with three more. I am cursed by having no friends who build guns, and am greatful to have found this place, but it does take a while to get through all the posts. If that is how things are done my nose will go to the grind stone, and the whining will stop. But if there is a quicker way...
Here's what i want to do. I spent the better part of an hour at a local gun store looking at a bushmaster. It had the "Entry" shorty stock and i liked that. a little small but reminded me of my paintball gun which is very quick handeling. it had a 16" HBAR, hence my other post reguarding barrels. Still undecided there. I want a forearm with top and bottom rails only. One for a pistol grip and one for a co-indexing EOTech sight. I would like an A2 upper (i think) because it has the carry handle, and it is usually cheaper than an A3 and a BUIS. I would like to put the lower together my self using bushmaster parts. but the Upper and handguard is where i am lost. I just dont know what fits what. mid length or carbine, i will be getting this after the fall of the ban, but should i go with a FS or a crown. Sorry guys for being so long winded, but i have spent many hours (much to my wife's chagrin) on here ever since she green lighted the project. Just like back in high school... I just want my first one to be perfect...
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 10:01:34 PM EST
My 2 cents:

1. I'd rather have a multi-position collapsible stock than one of those stubby stocks. I've been happy with my Colt M4 4 position stock, but I hear it's old school now.

2. If you're looking for a light, quick handling firearm, consider a 14.5" M4 or lightweight barrel with a permanently attached Vortex or Phantom flash suppressor.

3. If you're already thinking rails, go ahead and spring for the flat top upper, with a detachable carry handle/sight rail. You'll be happier later.

4. Make plans to attend the group shoot being planned for later in the fall and I'm sure people will be more than happy to let you try their various setups so you can get a better feel for what you're looking for and what suits you best.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:09:25 PM EST

Originally Posted By Boomer:
My 2 cents:

1. I'd rather have a multi-position collapsible stock than one of those stubby stocks. I've been happy with my Colt M4 4 position stock, but I hear it's old school now.

2. If you're looking for a light, quick handling firearm, consider a 14.5" M4 or lightweight barrel with a permanently attached Vortex or Phantom flash suppressor.

3. If you're already thinking rails, go ahead and spring for the flat top upper, with a detachable carry handle/sight rail. You'll be happier later.

4. Make plans to attend the group shoot being planned for later in the fall and I'm sure people will be more than happy to let you try their various setups so you can get a better feel for what you're looking for and what suits you best.

+1

Do a group shoot and if we have anywhere near the turnout of the last one, you will not find more AR's in one place short of the .mil, and then it better be a company, cuz we damn sure had more than a platoon.

Every configuration you can imagine.

I would say buy your lower, lower parts kit, put that together and wait for the shoot to finalize your decision on which way you wanna go.

And....If you cant wait, pick one, and remember they are modular. a pin pull away from being a totaly different gun. Then all you need is another lower.....

Vicious cycle, hooked like crack. Get out while you can!

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:38:36 PM EST
Where in Washington are you located?
There are plenty of people here who would be willing to let you finger-fuck their AR15's.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 3:32:37 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:24:43 AM EST
I'm in the Tri-Cities. The group shoot sounds great! When and where is the next one or is that figured out yet? The little bushmaster i was talking about was only $730 bucks. Had most of the things I want or atl east think i want . Can always add rails or whatever later.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:33:55 AM EST
The next shoot link

Keep looking in Hometown, you will see mroe posts. I think it will be the 6-7th, but its still early.

You said "Its only 730". If you fell like that, go for it. BUT.........

I personally would wait at least until after the ban dies and get one post-post ban. Flash hider already done., instead of having a shitty muzzle break you will have to get hacked off to get redone right.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:49:37 AM EST
Yes, get a post, post, pre-next post ban rifle. They have much Moore thrust per sqeeze and such....
Top Top