Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 5:38:10 PM EDT
Why making a comment in regards to lowering a price on a ga gun trader item is against the rules? Some dude had an old gen vltor modstock listed for $80. You can get the newest generation for $95 and the old ones go for $50.

I guess "You might want to consider lowering the price as you can pick these up for $50 new now. The newest generation IMOD is priced at around $95." wasn't worded nice enough

Apparently price gouging isn't frowned upon but my comment was.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:45:48 PM EDT
I usually send a heads up via PM and wish them good luck with the sale after the info. You just never know how people are going to react.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:48:57 PM EDT
I literally got a warning 5 minutes after posting that. Is it against the rules to send a PM with the same info?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:57:57 PM EDT
Yeah, because the second person to see that ad is forced to buy it. You ought to tell them what they can charge for their stuff. We should have a government agency that forces people to sell stuff for the price point you think is reasonable.

It's his stuff. He can set the price wherever he wants. If it doesn't sell, he can keep trying, keep it, or lower the price. His ad is not the place to mention it. No one is forced to pay the price he's asking. That's how a free market works. Sending him an instant message or minding your own business is the appropriate way to handle it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:08:24 PM EDT
It's called ad stomping and it is generally considered bad etiquette as it can have an influence on potential buyers. Also, setting a price outside what a buyer is willing to pay is not price gouging.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:21:19 PM EDT
I think the same thing would happen to you here. Ad stomping as the previous poster said.

But seriously, what do you care what he asks for it? Seems to me if you really wanted it you would have sent an IM. I find it hard to believe you were trying to help him out by posting that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:57:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
It's called ad stomping and it is generally considered bad etiquette as it can have an influence on potential buyers. Also, setting a price outside what a buyer is willing to pay is not price gouging.

Yeah - if it's not something you need to subsist/survive/maintain some kind of reasonable standard of living, it isn't price gouging... its just overpriced stuff you are free to chuckle at when you don't buy it
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:54:18 PM EDT
Do your trading on armslist. They promote alerting overpriced items.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:02:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LaRue556:

I don't know that I could support a site that wants to mandate what I am able to sell my items for.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:03:17 PM EDT
They're not mandating.....they just allow for community flagging on scams or outrageous info.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:07:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/5/2012 9:16:57 PM EDT by kylestyle]
I had no intention of buying it. I wouldn't waste my time trying to negotiate with someone whose trying to make a living selling overpriced items on free classifieds. I'm not going to sign off on people trying to take advantage of others even if it is in the name of "free market economy".
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:29:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:

+1 Sending PM is the polite way of helping someone out.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:05:39 PM EDT
Originally Posted By kylestyle:
I had no intention of buying it. I wouldn't waste my time trying to negotiate with someone whose trying to make a living selling overpriced items on free classifieds. I'm not going to sign off on people trying to take advantage of others even if it is in the name of "free market economy".

Fortunately, the market and not the opinion of one man determines if a seller is being unrealistic. You're welcome to disagree with the price a seller is asking, but you don't have the right to keep them from selling their item.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 12:48:39 AM EDT
I have the same thoughts when I visit local fun stores. It gives me warm fuzzies that the internet outfits are cleaning their clocks by employing economies of scale.

Efficiency!
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:15:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LaRue556:

Thank you! I didn't know about this site...I like the kind of neighborhood where folks look out for one another
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:26:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By EMCON:
I have the same thoughts when I visit local fun stores. It gives me warm fuzzies that the internet outfits are cleaning their clocks by employing economies of scale.

Efficiency!

I actually spent years only buying online, and never darkening the doors of the overpriced local shops. Until I recently realized that it was less fun. I found a few local shops with honest and reasonable pricing, not too terribly much above online pricing, and enjoy going in, looking at the stuff, chatting with the folks working there about new products, or the best for my needs, and picking up what I need. I like my local fun store guys. I don't mind paying a small premium to go and touch the stuff first, or to find out that a particular product will likely not be good for my application.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:41:57 AM EDT
There's only one guy that really pissed me off and its the guy on gunbroker that has been selling fake Raufuss rounds for probably 2 years now. They are repainted API rounds. IIRC He was up to about 200K or more in sales. Looks like gunbroker finally shut him down ( or perhaps police etc). Alot of people got scammed and GB stood by as he was a cash cow for them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:53:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By robpiat:
There's only one guy that really pissed me off and its the guy on gunbroker that has been selling fake Raufuss rounds for probably 2 years now. They are repainted API rounds. IIRC He was up to about 200K or more in sales. Looks like gunbroker finally shut him down ( or perhaps police etc). Alot of people got scammed and GB stood by as he was a cash cow for them.

I guy on another board purchased a couple of those and discovered what the guy had done and subsequently cut one in half, scraped the paint off part of it and revealed the API marking underneath.Took some really detailed pictures while he was doing too. Anyway, it was crystal clear that the guy was a ripoff artist.
Top Top