Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 12:51:12 PM EST
I had touched on this topic a month or so ago but for some reason it's not in my topics. Anyway, how do you like it if you use one? How do they compare in heat output to a pellet stove? I believe someone had sent me a link to a chart showing the difference, but I can't find that either.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:27:51 PM EST
my uncle has one at his house in pa, with it on and the fireplace it does his whole 1st floor. its a big living room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and dining room. if it gets real cold we throw on the keroseen heater as well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 2:46:59 PM EST
Do you have any idea what the fuel use rate is? When I looked into them that's what scared me away. (that and needing a big damn tank with no way of getting it filled)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:01:43 PM EST
i can ask him, what do you mean no way of filling it? theres no propane supplier in ur area???
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:40:37 PM EST
Just remember with the vent free units... condensation.

One of the by-products of burning natural gas is water. Now I see you are using propane so it may not be relevant. With no vent to the outside all the water vapor stays in the house. It will actually make things very damp.

Jer
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:49:33 PM EST

Originally Posted By sweetsourp0rk:
i can ask him, what do you mean no way of filling it? theres no propane supplier in ur area???

Where I'm needing it, a truck couldn't get to.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:12:03 PM EST
We have one in the basement that runs on natural gas. they do have low oxygen sensors that will shut down the system. The basement isn't well sealed or insulated (the house is >100 y/o) the best part is the location under the batroom area: keeps the floor nice & warm, keeps the basement warm and dry, and incase of power failure it produces enough heat to keep things from freezing up.
There's not that much diffrence in BTU's between propane and natural gas units.
NG is low pressure/high volume
Propane is high pressure/low volume.
For a camp/cabin or remote location I wouldn't hesitate to use one. "Vent free" can be an issue with a building that's tight, but how many camps are?
A 100 pound cylinder of Propane will go a long ways and it's not that hard to handle.
Top Top