Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:59 AM EDT
I am looking to hire a facilities mechanic for a biotech company in South San Francisco. Pay is 30-45k, 3 weeks vacation / year, 10 sick days and 10 holidays a year, you get a cube/computer and of course a free cell phone. Does anyone have any experience in this field and looking for a job? if so let me know.
pm. or [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt if you'll get anyone any good for those starvation wages in high-cost Bay Area.

Or, you'll get some guy that commutes to/from Stockton everyday and won't be a 'high availability' person.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I doubt if you'll get anyone any good for those starvation wages in high-cost Bay Area.

Or, you'll get some guy that commutes to/from Stockton everyday and won't be a 'high availability' person.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Yeah but thats what the position pays. Its great for a kid looking for his first "real job"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What exactly is a facilities mechanic?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#4]
sounds like a handyman type job, right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What exactly is a facilities mechanic?

check equipment.
move furniture..
change gasses.
repair vaccuum pumps.
work on glassware wahsers.
hang pictures.
repair anything that needs it.
change lights/ballasts.
and basically do anything that needs to get done.
but most improtantly. you have to show up on time everyday.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I desperately need a job, and can do handyman stuff, too bad I probably don't have time for a full time job (going to school full time in the evening M T TH F from 6-10PM).  

You should post the hours here as well, it might help you find someone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I desperately need a job, and can do handyman stuff, too bad I probably don't have time for a full time job (going to school full time in the evening M T TH F from 6-10PM).  

You should post the hours here as well, it also might help you find people.  

Well the hours are flexable. but 8 hrs minimum a day m-f. The last guy did 8-5 but 7-4 would be fine. Occasional weekend work, maybe 4-5 times per year. weekend and call-ins for emergencies have a four hour call-in minimum. so if you show up and have to turn a switch you get paid for four hours. But that only happens a few times per year.
We dont have drug tests, but if you have a drug problem I dont want you.. Must also be able to pass a background check, that's what hr says but I dont know what it involves. We also pay to send you to training classes a few times per year, electrical, plumbing, hvac, refridgeration, building management systems, etc....
Oh yeah there is a signing bonus and stock options. And of course medical/dental/vision/E.S.P.P./401k/free beer on some fridays/ 15 days vacation per year/ 10 sick days per year/ 2 floating holidays per year and sometimes we get the week between christmas and new years off too.

Oh yeah forgot to add. You can surt ar-15 at work like I'm doing right now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Is this at Genentech?

ETA:   Oops, nevermind...my apologies, just noticed your email address.  Please disregard my question!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is this at Genentech?

ETA:   Oops, nevermind...my apologies, just noticed your email address.  Please disregard my question!

nope. just down the street
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
That's a shame.  If I worked 8-4 or 9-5, it would probably work out with enough time to get to school and enough sleep at night.   Without traffic it would only take 30-40 minutes to get there from the East Bay via 84 and 101, but I can imagine the hellacious traffic on weekdays around 6-7AM on 101.   Not to mention I don't have any job experience (although I'm a pretty nice guy and knowledgeable ), so I wouldn't get the job anyway.   Good luck in your search!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top