Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:14:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 12:09:52 PM EDT by gotodengo]
I am looking to hire a facilities mechanic for a biotech company in South San Francisco. Pay is 30-45k, 3 weeks vacation / year, 10 sick days and 10 holidays a year, you get a cube/computer and of course a free cell phone. Does anyone have any experience in this field and looking for a job? if so let me know.
pm. or reichen@theravance.com
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 10:32:59 AM EDT by bwiese]
I doubt if you'll get anyone any good for those starvation wages in high-cost Bay Area.

Or, you'll get some guy that commutes to/from Stockton everyday and won't be a 'high availability' person.

Bill Wiese
San Jose
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:06:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bwiese:
I doubt if you'll get anyone any good for those starvation wages in high-cost Bay Area.

Or, you'll get some guy that commutes to/from Stockton everyday and won't be a 'high availability' person.

Bill Wiese
San Jose

Yeah but thats what the position pays. Its great for a kid looking for his first "real job"
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 11:32:55 AM EDT by blacklisted]
What exactly is a facilities mechanic?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:23:22 AM EDT
sounds like a handyman type job, right?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:42:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By blacklisted:
What exactly is a facilities mechanic?

check equipment.
move furniture..
change gasses.
repair vaccuum pumps.
work on glassware wahsers.
hang pictures.
repair anything that needs it.
change lights/ballasts.
and basically do anything that needs to get done.
but most improtantly. you have to show up on time everyday.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:51:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 12:04:58 PM EDT by blacklisted]
I desperately need a job, and can do handyman stuff, too bad I probably don't have time for a full time job (going to school full time in the evening M T TH F from 6-10PM).

You should post the hours here as well, it might help you find someone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:10:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 12:11:43 PM EDT by gotodengo]

Originally Posted By blacklisted:
I desperately need a job, and can do handyman stuff, too bad I probably don't have time for a full time job (going to school full time in the evening M T TH F from 6-10PM).

You should post the hours here as well, it also might help you find people.

Well the hours are flexable. but 8 hrs minimum a day m-f. The last guy did 8-5 but 7-4 would be fine. Occasional weekend work, maybe 4-5 times per year. weekend and call-ins for emergencies have a four hour call-in minimum. so if you show up and have to turn a switch you get paid for four hours. But that only happens a few times per year.
We dont have drug tests, but if you have a drug problem I dont want you.. Must also be able to pass a background check, that's what hr says but I dont know what it involves. We also pay to send you to training classes a few times per year, electrical, plumbing, hvac, refridgeration, building management systems, etc....
Oh yeah there is a signing bonus and stock options. And of course medical/dental/vision/E.S.P.P./401k/free beer on some fridays/ 15 days vacation per year/ 10 sick days per year/ 2 floating holidays per year and sometimes we get the week between christmas and new years off too.

Oh yeah forgot to add. You can surt ar-15 at work like I'm doing right now.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:13:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 12:16:06 PM EDT by deez]
Is this at Genentech?

ETA: Oops, nevermind...my apologies, just noticed your email address. Please disregard my question!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:20:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By deez:
Is this at Genentech?

ETA: Oops, nevermind...my apologies, just noticed your email address. Please disregard my question!

nope. just down the street
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:34:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT by blacklisted]
That's a shame. If I worked 8-4 or 9-5, it would probably work out with enough time to get to school and enough sleep at night. Without traffic it would only take 30-40 minutes to get there from the East Bay via 84 and 101, but I can imagine the hellacious traffic on weekdays around 6-7AM on 101. Not to mention I don't have any job experience (although I'm a pretty nice guy and knowledgeable ), so I wouldn't get the job anyway. Good luck in your search!
Top Top