Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2003 12:03:43 PM EDT
will be able to start selling guns again.

I just got back from the one I frequent.  They've finished remodling the Sporting Goods department and to fill up the long gun display they have them stuffed with soft rifle cases.  Looked pretty silly but I guess it's better than a totally empty glass box.

<tinfoil mode> With the transition going on in Sacramento this would be a perfect time for the AG's office to let this drop between the cracks and stall for as long as they can. </tinfoil mode>
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I was talking with someone from the ATF that didn't think they were going to ever sell guns here again.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#2]
The Wal-mart in Monrovia, CA has replaced all of its former gun displays with junk, doesn't look like they are going to sell guns in Calif anymore.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:02:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The two wal-marts up in the high desert are empty of guns.

What the hell happened?
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
what happened? the walmart employess couldnt figure out the kali gun laws and regs, too many guns getting out without paper and taxation.

all walmart has to do is actually train employees to do their job, a few guys per store with DOJ/FFL training and they could be selling guns again and making money.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
all walmart has to do is actually train employees to do their job, a few guys per store with DOJ/FFL training and they could be selling guns again and making money.

Im sorry but i dont think that 99% of walmart employees could handle that kind of training.

Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
The Wal-Mart I mentioned used to have the gun counter along the wall and they revamped the entire area to do the gun/ammo counter as an island in the middle of the sporting goods section.  Really upped the visibility.  Before it was damn near hidden, now it’s very obvious.

This is really going to suck if they don't get them back.

I've always bought from Turners, California Police Equipment and Southern California Gun but having guns openly displayed at Wal-Mart is one of the few places the non-gunner can see them out in the open for sale.  Takes some of the mystery and makes them less “forbidden” seeing them as just something else for sale to the public.

I wouldn't put it past Lockyer to have had that in mind.  Given that Wal-Mart is the largest gun dealer in the country he’d probably do whatever he can to keep those guns out of the public's eye (and home).

Meddling prick
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The State isn't all at fault. Wal-Mart only wants to pay about $8 an hour. You can't get people intelligent enough to do the paperwork for that wage. They had problems so they dumped the firearms sales and I hear ammo is next.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 3:36:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree that the typical 8 buck an hour Wally-World drone isn't going to be able to properly do the required paperwork/recordkeeping.  I’m used to dealing with the guys at Turners for the most part.  Totally anal-retentive (in a good way) when it comes to crossing the T’s and dotting the I’s.

Funny thing is that in my local Wally-Mart the two “regulars” (a man and a woman) I see working in the department are older, know what they are talking about and don't have any bullshit phobias about dealing with guns and ammo.  Must be some sort of serious distortion in the space-time continuum to have not just one but TWO competent, gun knowledgeable people working in the same store.

If Wal-Mart can’t sell guns here and the new gun “safety” law that Red Davis signed on his way out stands, things are going to get real bleak for the gun owners here, even more so than now.

Oh, any source on stopping ammo sales?  I get most of my stuff on-line but you can’t beat the 9mm white box stuff.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:43:46 PM EDT
[#9]
"Free beer tomorrow" "Free beer tomorrow" thats what Joe keeps telling me at my local Wally World.
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 9:48:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've always bought from Turners, California Police Equipment and Southern California Gun

where are ca police equipment and souther california gun???
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I've always bought from Turners, California Police Equipment and Southern California Gun

where are ca police equipment and souther california gun???

www.capoliceequip.com/ is on El Cajon blvd in San Diego.

CPE is staffed by some very sharp people.  No big discounts but they make up for it (IMHO) with the service and a good selection (especially holsters and accessories).

Southern California Gun has 2 shops, one on Convoy street in Kearny Mesa and the other on Parkway Drive in La Mesa.  They have a website but I can't dig it up and it's not much to write home about anyway.

SCG is what most people would think of as a "traditional" shop.  A little "ratty" around the edges but the people we've dealt with have been good guys.
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 1:49:31 AM EDT
[#12]
According to the guy at the local store they still have the guns in store and the sticking point is LA County for some reason.  He said that as long as the guns are still in store there is hope but if they ever start moving them out, well, that would not be a good sign.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top