Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
5/28/2020 10:18:12 PM
Posted: 12/27/2004 12:10:36 AM EDT
I have another hair up my ass for a new hobby.  Would like to make a custom set of grips for my 1911.  Have looked for books on how to and such without success.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 3:25:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 6:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2004 6:14:42 PM EDT by Knifemaker02]
It's not too hard.  I did a highly contoured pair for my Buckmark.  The most important part is getting the holes PRECISELY lined up.  I have a special drill bit for counter sinking cutlers rivets on knife handles that was purfect so I used that (unfortunately I didn't have a drill LOL so I wore out my finger tips doing it.)
Should be fun and you end up with something nobody else has.

Edited to add--The link Shadowblade put up is definately the best source I have ever found on building your own pistol grips.
Link Posted: 12/27/2004 8:18:33 PM EDT
Thanks guys, who knows maybe in two or three years I will have a pair done.
Thanks for the link, off to study up
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 2:24:07 AM EDT
Can you guys point me in the right direction for blanks/scales?
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 8:20:46 PM EDT
Dave there at 1911 pistol grips might be willing to sell you some.  I am going to be getting some scales for knife handles from him.  If that doesn't work contact Larry at galleryhardwoods.com.  He is a great guy and has really premium woods.
Link Posted: 12/29/2004 11:01:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 2:40:38 PM EDT
If you use spalted maple you might want to get it stabilized.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 5:47:57 PM EDT
How do you stabilize it?
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:29:04 AM EDT
Let me see what I can dig up for you on the stabilizing.  I do know off hand that you are probably best to have someone else do it for you.
You might check out the scales at http://www.arizonaironwood.com/images/Scales/Pistol%20Grips/WP101.jpg
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:47:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/31/2004 10:50:20 AM EDT by FanoftheBlackRifle]

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
How do you stabilize it?

www.hutproducts.com has some stuff to stabilize woods......its an acrylic of some sort you let the wood soak in for a while.  Their website is geared toward penmakers, but it has the stuff.

I think the stuff you want is polycryl
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:56:17 AM EDT
These guys will stabilize: http://www.stabilizedwood.com/price.shtml#customerwood
I think galleryhardwoods.com will stabilize.  I am still looking for where I found a kit to do it yourself, it was on a scandinavian supply site and they can take a while to get through particularly if you only speak english!
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 12:32:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:26:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 2:27:55 PM EDT by texnAK]
Great topic. I will use that link.

You were asking were to buy wood. I've been buying stabilized wood from Bill at Arizona Silhouette. He is awesome and always throws something extra into the shipment. He has his woods mechanically stabilized. I have several unused (yet) pieces here at the house. He was also a comp shooter in his past life.


Also, if you would like to try ivory, I have a bunch of mammoth ivory as well. Perhaps we can do some trading.

Top Top