Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/6/2006 9:52:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:00:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:54:06 PM EDT
I think this should answer your question.

Huckabee proposes plan for illegal aliens
By: Yvette Scorse, Assistant News Editor
Issue date: 2/2/05 Section: News
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Gov. Mike Huckabee has not yet filed a bill after his proposal a few weeks ago to offer state-funded college financial aid to illegal aliens who graduate from high school in Arkansas.

"The governor did not call for any direct action," said junior Alejandro Aviles, a Hispanic activist and president of the League of United Latin American Citizens at the UA.

If Huckabee's proposal becomes a bill and is passed in the state legislature, it will allow undocumented students to become state citizens and pay in-state tuition.

"[Huckabee] believes real strongly that children shouldn't be punished for things they don't have control over," said Jim Harris, a spokesman for Huckabee. If a student qualifies to go to college or to receive a scholarship, he or she should have the opportunity to go, he said.

Many high school students in Northwest Arkansas are undocumented, Aviles said, and "it's not their fault. Without equal opportunities to higher education," he said, "how do we educate people in our community?"

The Dream Act was co-sponsored by Sen. Blanche Lincoln, D-Ark., in 2003 and passed with bi-partisan support in the Senate but was denied by the Bush administration. The act would have allowed undocumented immigrant students to qualify for federal and state financial aid for college.

The Dream Act is a "responsible way to address the tragedy of young people who grow up in the United States, graduate high schools but are denied the opportunity to advance their education by current immigration law," Lincoln said in a statement.

Like Huckabee's proposal, Lincoln said the Dream Act would benefit only the students who excel academically.

Lincoln said the Dream Act would benefit "only those young people who have earned the privilege to remain in the U.S. by excelling academically."

"Those children who graduate from Arkansas high schools and have the grades and ACT scores to get a scholarship will get better jobs and a better life, which is the American dream," Harris said.

Aviles said he knew of a Northwest Arkansas high school student who was undocumented but excelled academically. If passed by the state legislator, a bill like the one Huckabee proposed would benefit students like her, who want to go to college but cannot afford out-of-state tuition.

In addition to affecting students directly, Harris said the proposal would affect the state economically. Anyone who has a college degree will earn about $1 million more in a lifetime than someone who has a high school diploma, he said. If these students stay in Arkansas and pay taxes on that extra income, "the state actually comes out ahead."

The Dream Act would "help to double the rate of Hispanic college graduates by the year 2010," producing $13 billion in tax revenue, the LULAC Web site said. "Raising the educational achievement of Hispanic students is critical to the U.S. economy," according to the Web site.

Many other states have already passed legislation similar to the Dream Act.

Harris said he could not predict when the proposal from Huckabee would go into effect until the bill, which is yet to be filed, is in its final form.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:49:51 PM EDT
Shit, well there goes my perfect candidate. I know politics usually boil down to compromise, but that's not one I'm willing to let go.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:54:50 PM EDT
Guess that is why he is pushing the "castle doctrine", protect us from all of the educated illegals.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:45:41 PM EDT
I hope it passes.
Top Top