Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 7:40:36 AM EDT
I want to get a suppressor for my rifle and I dont want to go the CLEO signature route.  I am in Albuquerque.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Just set up an LLC.  It's easier and cheaper,
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
How do I do that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:32:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to Incorporate dot com or any other online site.  

It takes a few minutes, and you're done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually purchased Quicken Willmaker, at the suggestion of some of the members on a Class 3 forum.
It essentially guides you through all the steps, then you just get the required paperwork notarized, and it is good to go.
I used this method to set up my trust.

I actually had a lawyer, who is a friend, look mine over. He said it was essentially the same he would have done.
Just my opinion, and experience.
Have no experience with the LLC route.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:46:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I actually purchased Quicken Willmaker, at the suggestion of some of the members on a Class 3 forum.

It essentially guides you through all the steps, then you just get the required paperwork notarized, and it is good to go.

I actually had a lawyer, who is a friend, look mine over. He said it was essentially the same he would have done.

are you the only one on the trust, iv heard that quicken isnt so good if you wanna have multiple people on there

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:56:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

are you the only one on the trust, iv heard that quicken isnt so good if you wanna have multiple people on there

You can put as many people in an LLC as you want.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Have you used it to make CIII purchases?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:21:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, my wife is as well. I did not see any isues with adding people, so don't know why it would be a probelm. It allows you to add as many as you wanted to.
Of course, each State may have specific rules for setting up trusts and registering them. For NM it was no problem.

That being said, I had mine reviewed by a lawyer to assure it was correct. There was a recent report about BATF stating that they were investigating an individual who used a software done trust.
It was their opinion that it was not a legal document based upon his State's requirements. They have since dropped that investigation.
As we know, BATF often decides they feel something does not meet their standards, despite it following the letter of the law.
The recent YHM suppressor adapter fiasco comes to mind.

So, for some, it may be one step less just to have a lawyer prepare the trust. I am not recommending one way over another, as I have only experience with this route. And also could have a lawyer review mine without cost. And yes, this trust has been used for Class 3 use. But so had the poor guy's that BATF hassled!

So, I would advise the individual decide what method best fits their budget and concerns.

Here is a good link which addresses much of the issues I spoke of:
http://www.arizonagunlist.com/How_to_buy_NFA_class3_weapons_with_a_revocable_living_trust_without_a_CLEO_signoff.html

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I used Quicken Willmaker for my trust also. 4 things purchased on it and I have 3 people on it.

I thought about going LLC it has some intersting benfits but didn't want to worry about making sure to keep it up-to-date with all the fees and such.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top