Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2011 7:05:14 PM EDT
I'm curious if anyone happens to know the area around 75th and Peoria ave. I'm looking at houses in that area, which are in my price range. Just wondering if these would be considered "bad" or crime ridden neighborhoods?

There is also another house for sale over by Cactus and 35th that I'm interested in, which I've heard is a pretty decent area from people I know who live there.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 7:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
my aunt and uncle live on 83rd and deer valley I believe.  nice neighborhood.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#2]
35th and Cactus was a Church's Chicken, Bail Bonds, and a check cashing place.  Previous experience tells me that trifecta always means you're in a ghetto.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
35th and Cactus was a Church's Chicken, Bail Bonds, and a check cashing place.  Previous experience tells me that trifecta always means you're in a ghetto.  

Truth has been spoken
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

True... but the area north of that area is pretty decent. South of it... it gets sketchy.

Also Phoenix Crime stats map show it as a low crime area.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True... but the area north of that area is pretty decent. South of it... it gets sketchy.  
if you dont feel safe driving into a neighborhood at1-4 am within five miles of your house you shouldn't move there.  They come to your neighborhood to steal.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you dont feel safe driving into a neighborhood at1-4 am within five miles of your house you shouldn't move there.  They come to your neighborhood to steal.

I'm basing "sketchy" by actual crime rates. Below cactus, (actually below Peoria ave), is where crime starts to go up. The actually "sketchy" neighborhoods are probably even further south...but their area of influence stretches into just sound of Peoria.

Also,... that particular neighborhood in THAT area... has a Police station right there.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Where are you finding these crime rates?  Sounds like an interesting site.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]

IIRC That area seemed nice back when I lived off 35th ave and Peoria..  But that is compairing it to my place and Sunnyslope(where I lived before 35th ave.)

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Where are you finding these crime rates?  Sounds like an interesting site.

A few...

http://phoenix.gov/police/UCR2010YearlyViolentCrimes.pdf

http://phoenix.gov/police/UCR2010YearlyPropertyCrimes.pdf

There is also...

Both sources give "heat maps", rather than just showing a collection of various calls.

Link Posted: 9/27/2011 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]
So seriously...

The area where the house I like is in that 1 square mile block... bounded by Thunderbird/Cactus and 35th ave /I-17

The other house, which is in Peoria, Is near 73rd and Peoria ave.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 11:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Um no, Rocket Burger and Chuch's  both rock and I live in the area too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 12:02:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um no, Rocket Burger and Chuch's  both rock and I live in the area too.

Rocket Burger is AWESOME. Church's? Never been... though from what I hear, I'm almost afraid to enter it... as if there is 100% certainty I'll be shot there.

Is Church's basically a KFC type place? I've never seen a Church's before moving here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:30:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Look north of bell for nice areas if you're going that far west.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#14]
75th and peoria use to be good gang bang area... I went to peoria hight back in 1992... have dove in the area lately but i dont think it realy has changed
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Nevermind, I read that wrong.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:15:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm curious if anyone happens to know the area around 75th and Peoria ave. I'm looking at houses in that area, which are in my price range. Just wondering if these would be considered "bad" or crime ridden neighborhoods?

There is also another house for sale over by Cactus and 35th that I'm interested in, which I've heard is a pretty decent area from people I know who live there.

Can't speak for the first, but I used to live right near 35th and Cactus, close to Moon Valley HS.  Modest neighborhoods.  I liked it.  Never had too many crime problems, at least nothing more acute than other areas nearby.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd also like to mention if there's any sign of a Cricket seller and pawn shops those tend to indicate real shitholes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

i remember learning something similar in criminology classes, if you find  the trifecta, you are almost always in a high crime area.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I'd also like to mention if there's any sign of a Cricket seller and pawn shops those tend to indicate real shitholes.

cricket is no longer ghetto. they have those in every neighborhood.  pawn shops tend to still focus on the ghetto though.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 8:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

cricket is no longer ghetto. they have those in every neighborhood.  pawn shops tend to still focus on the ghetto though.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say Cricket by itself isn't ghetto.  Now, a Cricket next to a barber shop specializing in afros and fades, well, use your own judgement on that one.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#21]
75th and peoria was getting a little rough 12 years ago. Pretty bad now. I live around 83rd ave and deer valley. LOVE the area. Left a car door open overnight on the driveay, and it was not touched.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

75th and peoria was getting a little rough 12 years ago. Pretty bad now. I live around 83rd ave and deer valley. LOVE the area. Left a car door open overnight on the driveay, and it was not touched.

I live closish to the 35th ave and Cactus area and there are a few other members in this neighborhood. I have left my car unlocked before too never had a problem. I've also left my garage door open on accident before with hundreds of dollars worth of tools sitting exposed and didn't have a problem. This is generally a good neighborhood with pockets of bad not the other way around.

It's the people in the neighborhood that make it a nice place. Just cover up graffiti fast, call the cops if you see something fishy, etc. Do not MYOB when it comes to the place you live. At the same time don't be the obnoxious nosey guy EXPcustom style.

Speaking of this I need to follow my own advice and buy some more Grey spray paint today to fix the graffiti on the corner.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:14:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I lived in the area when it was decent, late 80s....and that's about when it started to go downhill.

I am not sure it ever really recovered.  If you going to live in the Avenues.....I am pretty darn sure you have to be well North of T-Bird these days.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to Moon Valley High School which is at 37th Ave. & Cactus.  I used to live in that neighborhood 20 or so years ago but you couldn't pay me enough to live there now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top