Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/24/2004 8:33:57 PM EST
The title pretty much says it. I'm new here and I'm getting pretty excited about building my own AR. I've been doing a lot of reading, but what I'd really like to do is put in some good one-on-one time with a local (or two!) who's knowledgable and willing to let me handle his (or her) AR. I'll buy ammo for both of us if you're willing to let me shoot it a bit! I'm a member of Schultz Resort Rod and Gun club in Muskego, we've got a 100 yard range and a nice new setup on the firing line. I'm currently living about 2 min. from Shooters in Racine, though I don't think they allow rifles on their range.

Bottom line, I'm easy to please and I'm looking to make some new friends and get some advice and ideas on building my own AR. I'm glad I found this forum as it looks like there's an active group from here in WI. I'm looking forward to coming to one of the shooting outings that Tattoo is holding, the one in August sounds like it was a lot of fun!

If you're willing to meet, talk or give advice please IM me or reply here.

Thanks!

Matt aka "Cool Cat"
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 10:10:12 PM EST
Hey Matt, good to have another arfcommer in the area.
I'd be willing to help you out, I'm sure there's some other guys here that would too.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 5:50:16 AM EST
Thanks Witch_Doctor! Where'bouts are you located? Would you mind bragging a bit about your hardware?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:40:22 AM EST
Hi Matt. I live in Kenosha and work in Oak Creek. I'd be willing to let you shoot my Bushmaster M4gery sometime. I'm no expert, but I do know that these black rifles are a lot of fun!

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:42:32 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2004 3:44:01 PM EST by El_Roto]
IM sent.

Steve "El Roto" G.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:31:35 PM EST
I'd love to help you out, but I just sold my carbine, and I have another kit waiting for my receiver to come in. If you want to build one, this would be a great looksie, but as I said before, no receiver yet.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 5:13:38 AM EST
FWIW,
I have the M16/AR15 armorer tools(reciever block,punches,rollpin starters,chamber guages,and somewhere a 'jig' I cooked up for supporting the 'ears' for the trigger guard pin).I also have pretty much every manual and the Bushmaster 'armorer's video.

I am "always" up for a build party,and if I know you(have met you thru WI ARFcom)I will even consider loaning out the set,all you have to do is cover the postage.I've knocked together an AR or two in the field using a c-clamp to hold the reciever block to my truck bumper,but assembling in a clean well lit shop is the WAY to do it.

Supporting the reciever while driving the trigger guard pin can be 'catastrophic',I made my support using epoxy putty,mixing a 'gob' covered with celophane and pressing the reciever down onto it to mold up a support,paying attention to have the reciever nice and even and the 'ear' supported before the putty sets.For pin removal I run my punch thru the 'ears' into the hardened putty to mark the 'jig' and then drill out the pin cavity.Using a roll pin starter is a MUST, it is alot easier to keep everything lined up straight that way.I also 'oil' up everything before driving the pin(another reason I use a roll pin starter).

The worst thing about building an AR is not being able to shoot it right away after all the dry 'function checks' are completed.

BulletcatchR
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:05:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/29/2004 5:09:17 AM EST by FMD]
CoolCat,

I'd also be willing to show and tell (and shoot) with "my" toys (Wuakesha here, near WitchDoctor).

The wife's got a 1/2 varminter 1/2 SAM-R (read: sniper) rifle, and I've got an M4gery with some goodies that I built.

I get my pistol buffer today, and will be building the stripped lower later on this week, just to take photos and establish it as a pistol. It'll then be re-configured into a lightweight CAR.

You're welcome to build along, or watch, or whatever. IM me whenever.

-FMD

PS: Drawcutt, thank you again for the offer on your upper, but C and I decided to order one from Model1. It arrives with the aforementioned pistol buffer.

ETA: BC I owe you an IM, but have to run to work shortly (late as it is). Could you put to gether a hardware-store list of tools (brass hammer, size of punches, etc.)? I've got an armorers' block, stock wrench etc, but have not yet built the stripped lower. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:08:28 AM EST
No problem FMD. Thanks for getting back to me. Now, I'm trying to figure out if I want to tackle replacing my mini Y comp with a perm Phantom FS or send it off to let a pro do it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:07:13 PM EST
Send it to Steve at Adco (check the Indusrty Forum). You won't be disappointed.

Sorry for the hijack CC
Top Top