Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 4:52:42 PM EDT
I am going out to pick 6 or 7 buckets of prickly pear fruit tomorrow morning if my leg is up to it. My mom loves to can just about anything, and I want to stock up before the season closes on a bunch of prickly pear jelly. Cany's kids love it, and I have to admit that even with my dislike of sweets, that damn jelly calls my name. Also going to make some hot pepper jelly.

If y'all want a jar, let me know and I'll save one for you. No charge, just come pick it up (will be ready in about a week).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:54:38 PM EDT
I'd like one, which side of town are you on?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:56:45 PM EDT
Essentially I 17 and Loop 101. If you've never had it before, trust me... Great stuff!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:06:52 PM EDT
We are starting to do the canned thing...
so far we have done pomagranit(sp) and apricot
from the in/laws tree.
Next up is some fish, albacore and yellowfin.

If I was closer, I would sure take you up on the offer Richard.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:51:48 AM EDT
prickley pear jelly is good, we made about 25 pints two years ag & still have some left, BUT have you ever made Saguaro jelly ?? THAT is 10 times better !!

we also made 5 gallons of PP wine !! that is great stuff also but don't keep it too long, without the usual stabilizers the winerys use, it is only good for about 6 months
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:58:14 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Buttplate:
prickley pear jelly is good, we made about 25 pints two years ag & still have some left, BUT have you ever made Saguaro jelly ?? THAT is 10 times better !!

we also made 5 gallons of PP wine !! that is great stuff also but don't keep it too long, without the usual stabilizers the winerys use, it is only good for about 6 months

No, never tried Saguaro jelly. Hell, I didn't even know that Saguaros bloomed with anything edible!

Care to shoot me the recipe?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:15:54 AM EDT
Ill take one.

Where abouts on I-17 and Loop 101?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:26:44 AM EDT
I'm usually in that part of town once a week or so. I'll take a jar please.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:51 AM EDT

No, never tried Saguaro jelly. Hell, I didn't even know that Saguaros bloomed with anything edible!

Care to shoot me the recipe?

the fruit on Saguaros are called "Tuna" when ripe they split open and the insides is a bright red & very sweet, you use a spoon to remove the red pulp, put it in a large pan & cook & stir till the pulp gives up its juice, 10-15 min., then strain TWICE thru cheese cloth, once you get the juice extracted you can do one of two things, continue cooking on a low heat till it thickens to jelly or get a package of "Sure-gel" & follow the directions for "Grape Jelly"

there is no better jelly than Saguaro jelly..., if/when you go gather "Tunas" next year be carefull where you get them, i live next door to the Saguaro N.P., but gathering Tunas there is illegal unless you are an Indian with a special permit, Natl. Forrests are ok and even private land.
Top Top