Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 9:23:27 AM EDT

Gun show sting nets convicted felon
Coastal Empire | Intown | Local News
Megan Matteucci | Monday, August 13, 2007 at 12:30 am | (see enhanced version)

Chance Datts (Photo: Savannah Morning News)

Police seize gun, drugs from 19-year-old but show promoter said all his sales were legal.

In an effort to crack down on illegal firearms, police and federal agents spent the weekend conducting an undercover operation at a gun show at the Savannah Civic Center.

Savannah-Chatham Metropolitan Police won't talk about the operation, but police reports show it led to the arrest of a convicted felon.

Chance Lamont Datts, 19, was arrested on charges of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a concealed weapon, carrying a pistol without a permit and possession of marijuana.

Undercover agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, along with officers from SCMPD's Tactical Reaction And Prevention unit converged on the Civic Center for the two-day Eastman Gun Show. They were working in addition to uniformed patrol officers securing the show.

Saturday afternoon, the undercover officers noticed three men acting suspicious in the Civic Center parking lot, according to a police report.

Officers followed the men as they climbed into a Pontiac Grand Prix and drove off.

Officers stopped the car at Habersham and Liberty streets for having windows tinted too darkly.

That's when they spotted Datts in the backseat attempting to cover the seat pocket, the report states.

Officers interviewed Datts and learned he was on probation for a felony.

They then searched the pocket Datts was covering and found a pistol, according to the report. It is unclear if the pistol was purchased at the gun show.

Officers also found some marijuana wrapped in a $20 bill inside Datts' pocket, the report states.

Datts told officers he met his two friends at the Civic Center and attended the gun show.

Datts' two companions were questioned and released.

Secure sales

Anyone who buys a firearm at the gun show is required to show a picture identification card and undergo a background check.

"These are legitimate gun dealers. You got to follow the same rules that you do in a gun shop," said Matt Eastman, who runs the gun show. "People don't come to gun shows to buy guns to commit crimes."

The gun show does not check identification at the front door. Unless a convicted felon attempts to buy a gun, there is no security barring them from attending the show.

Eastman said he did not know about any police operation or arrests.

"You've been watching too much NBC. That stuff doesn't happen here," Eastman said.

Hundreds of handguns, rifles, automatic weapons and knives are sold at the Eastman shows, which are frequently held at the Civic Center.

In 1994, the city banned gun shows from the Civic Center. The city lifted the ban 11 months later after promoters sued the city of Tampa for $65,000 after officials prohibited gun shows at its civic center.

The Eastman Gun Show is scheduled to return to Savannah in October.

More guns on streets

Police say they are targeting all illegal firearms - regardless of how and where they are obtained.

Last month, SCMPD and CrimeStoppers launched a program offering cash rewards of up to $2,500 for information leading to a seizure of illegal guns. The anonymous tip program focuses on getting guns out of the hands of convicted felons and minors, police said.

The firearms initiative also is an expansion of the police department's 2007 strategy of targeting the "10 percenters" - the most violent of felons. Police attribute a large chunk of violent crime to guns being in the wrong hands.

From Jan. 1 to July 5, 2007, police seized 371 firearms - including assault rifles, handguns, rifles and sawed-off shotguns. That's up 16 percent from last year, according to Wilson.

Police also are investigating several Savannah gangs that have been linked to gun trafficking. The Waters Avenue Crew and the Paradise Park Clique have been tied to as many as 144 guns stolen in pawn shop burglaries in Savannah and in Eastman, Ga., police said.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, nope.  GCO had a Recruiting and Information Table at that show, but it sounds like all of this happened away from the show, so that the attendees would not have seen any of it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]

It is unclear if the pistol was purchased at the gun show.

This part ought to be highlighted.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Let me get this straight. A convicted felon was arrested for having a gun and some pot. End of story.

I'm going to think about it some more and see if I can figure out WTF this has to do with a legal gun show.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Let me get this straight. A convicted felon was arrested for having a gun and some pot. End of story.

I'm going to think about it some more and see if I can figure out WTF this has to do with a legal gun show.

Thats why I'm asking.  Its very unclear in the story. The LEO, presumably were conducting their sting inside the show, but may not. Perhaps they were outside too. And they aren't saying what they were doing at the show.

Someone around here knows what happened.

But it might be as it seems, just a fortunate snag of a gangbanger with gun after following suspicious acting individuals observed in the parking lot.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats why I'm asking.  Its very unclear in the story. The LEO, presumably were conducting their sting inside the show, but may not. Perhaps they were outside too. And they aren't saying what they were doing at the show.

Someone around here knows what happened.

But it might be as it seems, just a fortunate snag of a gangbanger with gun after following suspicious acting individuals observed in the parking lot.  
Yeah, I just find it funny that they had this undercover sting op going and that was all they came up with and it's not even clear if he bought the gun there or not. What a waste of taxpayer dollars. The sad part is, they probably know the names and addresses of every one of the "gangbangers" around Savannah. They could go hang out downtown on just about any night and make 50 arrests without even trying.

I guess "sting operation at gun show" sounds so much better.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey man.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey man.

Glad I didn't sell that rifle to him
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The firearms initiative also is an expansion of the police department's 2007 strategy of targeting the "10 percenters" - the most violent of felons. Police attribute a large chunk of violent crime to guns being in the wrong hands.

This is a statement I have a problem with. More of let's blame the gun for causing these poor misunderstood children to commit crimes. Gee, if there were no guns we wouldn't have any crime. Obviously there wasn't any crime before the gun was invented. Sorry this crap just pisses me off. How long before this punk is back on the street? I know you LEO's are doing the best you can, it's the system that is letting us down.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Hundreds of handguns, rifles, automatic weapons and knives are sold at the Eastman shows, which are frequently held at the Civic Center.

Hundreds of automatic weapons....damn I must have missed the hundreds, but I did see three
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Hundreds of automatic weapons....damn I must have missed the hundreds, but I did see three

It just proves how uneducated the anti-gunners are in their quest to rid the lands of our 2nd Ammendment rights.  Maybe if the author of the piece had a picture of the stack of NFA forms for the hundreds of automatic weapons sold at the shows each year then he might be onto something..somehow I don't see that happening
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#12]
height=8
Quoted:
Hundreds of automatic weapons....damn I must have missed the hundredshinking.gif, but I did see threehe
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:48:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It just proves how uneducated the anti-gunners are in their quest to rid the lands of our 2nd Ammendment rights.  Maybe if the author of the piece had a picture of the stack of NFA forms for the hundreds of automatic weapons sold at the shows each year then he might be onto something..somehow I don't see that happening

Well, Y'all think we should voice our opinion?

Here's her contact info......
Megan Matteucci [52], Police reporter, (912) 652-0448
[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:51:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, Y'all think we should voice our opinion?

Here's her contact info......
Megan Matteucci [52], Police reporter, (912) 652-0448
[email protected]

Should I email her this :-

Assault weapons vs. Automatic weapons
Primarily limited to the United States, the term assault weapon is a political term, separate from the military definition, used to describe a variety of semi-automatic firearms that have certain features associated with military or police firearms. The 1994 Federal Assault Weapons Ban, which expired on September 13, 2004, defined the rifle type of assault weapon as a semiautomatic firearm with the ability to accept a detachable magazine, and two or more of the following:

Folding or telescoping stock
Conspicuous pistol grip
Bayonet mount
Flash suppressor, or threaded barrel designed to accommodate one
Grenade launcher

A common public misconception persists that the assault weapons ban restricted weapons capable of fully automatic fire, such as assault rifles and machine guns. Fully automatic weapons, however, were unaffected by the ban, and have been continuously and heavily regulated since the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed. Subsequent laws such as the Gun Control Act of 1968 and the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986 also affected the importation and civilian ownership of fully automatic firearms, the latter fully prohibiting sales of newly-manufactured machine guns to non-law enforcement.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes I say send it.
I just sent out one myself.
Fire mission for the GA boys????????????? We need to educate these people.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Yes I say send it.
Notice anything?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes I say send it.
Notice anything?

About time you got an avatar
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Waters Avenue Crew and the Paradise Park Clique have been tied to as many as 144 guns stolen in pawn shop burglaries in Savannah and in Eastman, Ga., police said.

<goes to load more mags>
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:21:25 PM EDT
[#19]
They were probably watching the show for known/wanted gang-bangers and felons. Much easier than going out and hunting them down. I agree it's not clear if he got the pistol at the show or not. Somebody probably ID'ed him as wanted and they decided to take him down outside the show.

FWIW, I've seen several a number of questonable characters come in with "girlfriends" and she will end up buying a pistol that "dude" picks out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Waters Avenue Crew and the Paradise Park Clique have been tied to as many as 144 guns stolen in pawn shop burglaries in Savannah and in Eastman, Ga., police said.

<goes to load more mags>

Its time to activate the Lake Mayer Militia.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#21]
All I need is a time and place!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top