Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 6:37:29 AM EDT
Getting ready to gear up my job fair/interviews/networking as I'm set to graduate school in a year.  I have no business attire, and I need to pick up 2 decent suits.  Looking to drop no more than $300 each and wondered if anyone had some advice on where to go or not to go.

I have local:

Pennys, Dillards, Macy, Mens Warehouse, Jos A Banks.

Just need em to last a year or two for ocassional wear, and if I get a job that requires them, I'll step it up from there.

IT was fun wearing jeans and t-shirts for the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I wore suits for 20 years, but haven't bought one in  several years.  You don't have to spend a fortune to look good.  Try them on and take one of your friends with fashion sense (girlfriend/wife, sister, metrosexual brother/friend).
Dillards used to have really good sales in February every year.  You could end up with 3-4 suits for what you were going to spend on 2.  Don't be afraid of Men's Wearhouse or other discounters like that.  Also check Kohls.  They have 'separates', which are not my favoite, but they actually look pretty nice.  This is a really good time to look.  THey are clearing out winter stuff to make room for the spring/summer stuff.  Try to get medium weight suits that are good year-round.  Having said that, they should be >50% wool.

Stick with the classics, navy or charcoal grey pinstripe.  I'm not a fan of solid black.  Ask your friend if you look good in certain colors.  I have very dark brown hair, and my skin coloring makes me look 'washed out' in beige/brown jackets.  If you have sandy brown or black hair, you may look great in those colors.

Treat your suits well, and they will last years and years.  Take them off as soon as you get home and hang them up.  Take your jacket off, if its appropriate, esp if its hot so you don't sweat it up too much.  If you are careful, you don't have to get them cleaned all that often

Be careful with Jos A Banks.  I see their ads all the time.  I have never been there, but I'm guessing their "Buy one get THREE free' means you pay full price for the first suit, which is probably $795.

Like cars, never pay 'sticker' for a suit.  If it is not a good % off, look on a different rack or go somewhere else.  If you are a less-normal size (little short or tall), this can sometimes work for you.  There will be lots of nice stuff on the clearance racks.

Also, 2-3 suits with a LOT of nice shirts and ties can go a long way, esp if you throw in the occassional 'casual Friday'.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:25:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Mens Warehouse worked for me. Bought the jackets and pants there and bought my ties, shirts and extras at Kohls.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#4]
another +1 for men's warehouse. Like E1cm said, I have always been treated well when I go in there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
K&G Fashion Superstore which is the discount side of Men's Wearhouse

K&G Fashion Superstore locator

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 4:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably check out Men's Warehouse tomorrow and then just check out other stores for sales on shirts/ties.

I checked for a K&G and there 0 within 100 miles of me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice.  I'll probably check out Men's Warehouse tomorrow and then just check out other stores for sales on shirts/ties.

I checked for a K&G and there 0 within 100 miles of me.
That is to bad. I was heading to the Men's Wearhouse in Independence for the same reason as you. I saw a  K&G's near the Men's Wearhouse so I dropped in. I picked up two nice suits in fat boy size, two shirts, and a two ties for $460. I'll be back.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:43:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I needed something last minute to wear. My one Hart Schaffner Marx suit has cuffed pants and I don't wear dress shoes anymore. Justin Ropers, and those don't go with cuffs. I walked into Macey's ready to plop down some cash. I walked out with a sport coat, slacks, button down shirt and tie for $160.00 including tax. Not Hart Schaffner Marx quality but nice enough I felt good in my new skin.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
As a manager at a fortune 500 company there are two things that impress me right off the bat.  
1.  Being clean cut - shave!  Dang it all!  - I really don't care if you have a go-tee.  However, you will never get past my boss!
2.  A decent suit of clothes -  You don't have to have a $1,000 out fit.  i.e. Take the girl friend and get a nice tie.  You don't have to have a 100% Cotton shirt, but a decent blend will not wrinkle as quickly and you will look professional.  Trust me,  I have never had anyone nor have I checked the labels of anyone's clothes.

Everyone above gave you good advice.  Menswarehouse is one of the places where I shop.  A lot of stores will have 2 for one sales coming up shortly.  Dillards does too.  A Navy and a Dark Grey suit is what I suggest.  Those are normal colors and you can get a variety of shirts and ties to match.  Plus you want to look the same, yet different for your second interview if needed.

A side note -  And you probably know this already, so don't think I am preaching.   I have seen some very talented, high GPA people, lose the job at the interview because they didn't know squat about the company they are interviewing with.   In my position as manager I am the first person you interview with, but I am NOT the first person you need to impress.  The first person is the secretary and / or receptionist.  She has the bosses ear!  Keep that in mind as you are waiting in the lobby.

Just sayin'  Good Luck!  
Joe
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Jos. A. Bank has a good sale once a year. I think it's the half price suit sale. Never been, but a friend who is a business man told me that's the only way to go there.

I'm not a big fan of Men's Warehouse. I've been in to buy suits several times and have found nothing that I've liked in my price range. Express for men at the mall used to be where I got all of my suits. There for a while when my wife and I were dating I bought a new suit every 6 months. At the time I was really skinny. Their suits fit young men's frames well (late teens, early 20's). Since then I've learned how to drink beer, gotten married and lost my metabolism so none of the suits I have from there fit anymore. Avoid the rest of their clothes though, they're a little on the metro side.

Macy's has some good deals from time to time, Marshalls has some suits in every once in a while, but they're hit and miss.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure where you're located but Johns suit shop in springfield has always treated me fantastic! Its a family owned store. If not mens w.would be good too
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
what is this "suit" you speak of????
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ebay used suits FTW.

Pay $25 for the suit (most are not really used). Pay the local alterations lady $30 to make them fit you. $50 suit. I've bought some really good suits this way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:16:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Doing the Ebay route works great if you already know exactly what you want, and what size you wear.  OP isn't in that situation.

I worked for Men's Wearhouse for 7 years, they will be great for getting you pointed in the right direction.  You won't get as much as you are looking for with a $300 budget, I can tell you that.

I don't know where you are in MO, but K&G might be worth the drive to KC or STL.  As stated above, they are owned by TMW and have a lot of the same product lines, just cheaper.  You definitely won't get the level of service there though, so again, more of the place to go if you know your size and what to look for in a suit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 3:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Went in today, and got to try on all the brands and styles.  Nothing worked for me until the last jacket.  Kicker is it's a 500 suit.  BUT they're having their buy one get one for $100.  So it'll work into 2, 3 piece suits for 600.  Just have to order them in to make sure they're they look/fit the same.

Again,  thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Men's wearhouse, Kohls, Penny's,

navy blue suit, white crisp shirt, conservative tie, shined shoes, not brown, be on time, don't carry in a coffee, cell phone, or ipod, have a pen and a couple of copies of your resume. think about the questions you would ask an applicant and then practice some answers.  Don't say......"honestly or let me be honest with you about this.."  as it implies at some other times you are not being honest.

bonus, you can wear a navy blue suit anywhere and be well dressed.  Black only for a funeral.

good luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Men's warehouse, Kohls, Penny's,

navy blue suit, white crisp shirt, conservative tie, shined shoes, not brown, be on time, don't carry in a coffee, cell phone, or ipod, have a pen and a couple of copies of your resume. think about the questions you would ask an applicant and then practice some answers.  Don't say......"honestly or let me be honest with you about this.."  as it implies at some other times you are not being honest.

bonus, you can wear a navy blue suit anywhere and be well dressed.  Black only for a funeral.

good luck.

I agree with what other have said.  White shirt and clean shaven.
I have had good luck with Men's Warehouse   and Penney's.  Depending on the interviews, you might be able to get buy with one suit.  Now it is usually  a phone interview and a on site interview.   When you start the job most places are business casual now.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I now wear a suit every day...

I buy all of mine at Penny's.  I like Penny's as you can buy suit seperates.  If I were to ruin a jacket or a pair of pants... no problem.  I go to Penny's and pick up a new one.  That has saved me a couple of times.  Got blood on a pair of pants and was easily able to get a new pair.  Buy somewhere else and if you ruin one part of the suit, you no longer have a suit.

Penny's will occasionally have sales to buy a suit at $99 on one that is going out of style.  I spent $500 after Christmas and walked away with four suits.  I was happy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I wear suits everyday.  I have bought suits from Brooks Bros, Jos Banks, Macy's etc.  The buy one get two free from Banks is really a pretty good deal. You pay full price for the first one and then get two that sell for the same price point. If you do the math it's a good deal. I bought an $800 suit and got 2 more for free. So,  I paid $266 each for 3 nice suits.  They have $500 suits and you can do the same deal.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Kohls.....bought LOTS of business clothes there when I've found various sales.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Say, if any of you fellas are big boys (size 50/52 jacket, say), I've got a bunch of suits and jackets I'll sell cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top