Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2009 3:26:01 PM EDT
Just signed up my little guy in the cub scouts. I was in the scouts for a few years and have some great memories. Any one else have thier kids scouting?

Oh and those inclined may commence with the brownie jokes...
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Loved it when my son was in the scouts... as a parent get involved, you won't regret it.

Only positives. in our experience.

Billy
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#2]
We led Cub-Scouts with our boys for several years, Parental participation is a MUST!
What grade/level is your Son?
In spite of the media and the cry-baby's who want homosexuals and atheists to be included, we NEVER experiences any of those problems, seems the worst thing was parents who complained about everything, and did nothing.
Even though we're done, they still ask for ocassional assistance which is gladly offered.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 6:57:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad to hear it. I was 11 when I started so i skipped the cubbies and went in as a Boy Scout and had alot of fun. Made it to rank of Star & Order of the Arrow before High School came along and I go into sports, girls and a part time job at the corner drug store. I certainly plan on being an active parent as I feel like I have some experience in the outdoors and scouting in general. I too feel the that whole gay thing is prolly more hype than anything else. I can't see too many kids of that "lifestyle" being interested in this type of program. I was involved for 4 years and never saw anything remotely  

fp1201: My son is 7 going on 8. The whole cub scout level is highly specialized with
bobcats, wolves, webleos...I'll find out at the first meeting where he falls into.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:39:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats on the new cub.  My son just made Eagle last January. He made it at 15 and is still actively participating. We are extremely proud parents and the experiences he has had an opportunity to participate in was amazing. He loves the outdoors and even got his riflery and shotgunning merit badges.

My son is in a VERY active troop. They are always hiking, camping, rafting, canoeing, going to Football games at West Point, biking etc.  I think that is extremely important - be in an active troop.  If you have never been to an Eagle Court of Honor, I suggest when your son gets to scouts, you attend one. He has more commendations, letters and references than you can possibly imagine. Flags that were flown over our Capitol, letters from 4 presidents, commendations from the Blue Angels, SEAL teams, strategic command - the list goes on and on.

It has opened his eyes to the real world. Citizenship, community involvement, working for the common good and that of others.  He has had lessons on fiscal management, planning, funding and achievement of lofty goals.  Truly an noble and worthwhile effort.

There is some truth in getting it done early as my son now has a girlfriend, job and (oh my God) a learners permit.......

Good luck with your son
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I was in scouting as a kid and my son started in Tiger Cubs at age 7 in first grade. IIRC you have to have completed 1st grade or 8 years old to be a Bobcat. Things might have changed since then though. We had some great times together in BSA camps, Pack/Troop camp outs and trips around the U.S. If every kid in the U.S. went through the scouting program the U.S. would be a much better place to live.

My son quit scouting at age 13 when he discovered girls.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I was going to get my son into it, but was very disappointed at the adults running the local program. They held the meetings at the KofC and were drinking and smoking in front of the kids before the meeting. I couldn't believe it. I was also getting a high pressure sales pitch from one of the mothers who looked like a single wide trailer kind of girl and wanted me to pay for a bunch of stuff up front. I told her that we were there for the 'meet & greet' and we were going to consider joining based I what I heard about events, parental involvement etc. Like I said, I was very disappointed.
I asked a couple other guys I know in the area afterward and was told this group is one of the very few that people stay away from. At this point (10), he is involved with Football, Wrestling, etc. and has very good coaches around him. As far as camping, hiking and shooting, well Dad takes care of those issues and then some.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Wojo: Sorry to hear that - I'm sure that you could have found a troop/den that was more to your liking but it sounds like he's doing fine. My kid was not too enthusiastic at first about going but I told him about some of the things that scouts (theoretically) do and dug out my old BSA shirt with all my patches and merit badges and this seemed to pique his interest. This past Sunday was the Pinewood derby. We obviously did not have a car in the contest but he had fun watching all the excitement. The next (our first) meeting is next monday so we'll see what's what.

Zoomer: Thank you and CONGRATS to your son! Awesome achievement!!!! Good for him...
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

My kid was not too enthusiastic at first about going but I told him about some of the things that scouts (theoretically) do and dug out my old BSA shirt with all my patches and merit badges and this seemed to pique his interest.

I helped teach the 10 year old Cubs BB gun safety/marksmanship and the 12 year old Scouts and up .22 rifle safety/marksmanship so he has those badges to look forward to. My son was also a police cadet and attended a BSA police explorer post camp in CT where the police department sponsoring the camp put him through a revolver qualification course. I wish he had stayed in the program but he lost interest when he was 13.
One of the best camp outs and activities we attended was a West Point Camporee that the USMA cadets sponsor every year.

ETA: Oh yeah, I forgot. The Cadets let the scouts shoot machine guns with blanks during one of the mock battles they put on.
Some pics of the WP Camporee (not mine and not the one we attended)
http://www.usma.edu/USCC/DCA/Clubs/scou/2006_camporee.html
http://www.usma.edu/USCC/DCA/Clubs/scou/2007_camporee.html

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:07:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
When I have kids, they'll be introduced to scouting at an early age.

I started in third grade and worked up through Bear, Webelos, and left after 9th or 10th grade with Star and OA. I was kinda sad to leave my troop, but the (new) leaders were playing power games with each other and ignoring the scouting stuff.

I always smile about the various camping trips and chaos we caused. '93 Jamboree was an incredible time.

There are some excellent values to be learned from scouting.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 5:09:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

He just did his first pinewood derby car. Lots of fun!

The pinewood derby was a blast. I think he placed 3rd but he was one of the few kids that built his own car (for the most part). Enjoy it while you can.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top