Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/24/2004 4:58:30 AM EST
I am looking for some firsthand info on Prince of Wales Island, I lived in Sitka for 2 1/2 years, 1990-92, but am looking for info specifically on POW.

I am looking to relocate in 18-24 months, and it is a strong contender.

Thanks in advance!

dave
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:54:15 AM EST
I'm from Sitka, but I don't know a whole lot about POW, just that Craig is there, but you probably knew that. What did you do in SIT for those 2.5 years?

Brian
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:06:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/24/2004 3:08:28 PM EST by thedave1164]
a lot of everything, I worked at Sitka Northern Sales, Food Services Of America, Aurora Business Supplies, some short term jobs, and part time for Al Klein at Ye Olde Rod and Gun Shop on Katlian.

I understand the gun shop isn't there any more.

I met Porky

And Senator Murkowski(former) and Wally Hickle Governor. on the pier one day.

I actually liked Sitka, just didn't like the touristas, and some of the transplants from kali.....

And they are the reason I am not really considering relocating back to Sitka.

ETA and the reason I am wanting to leave Colorado (kolorado)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 11:41:02 PM EST
Excellent. Yeah, Ye Old Rod and Gun is no more, no official gunsmiths in town anymore. And Porky passed away last summer. But good luck getting back to AK! The summer weather keeps getting better and better, we've had two seperate weeks of 80+ degree weather.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:58:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By The_Alchemist:
Excellent. Yeah, Ye Old Rod and Gun is no more, no official gunsmiths in town anymore. And Porky passed away last summer. But good luck getting back to AK! The summer weather keeps getting better and better, we've had two seperate weeks of 80+ degree weather.

80 degrees?

I never saw it above 75 the whole time I was there.....

I don't know now, that is too hot for my tastes
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 2:09:43 PM EST
Yeah it has been rediculous, its been mostly sunny all summer, but a few days of 83-85 degree weather, record breaking. Cars lined up and down the road at Sandy Beach, and I'm working at Cascade Convenience for the summer and we've been going through ice and beer like crazy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 6:12:17 PM EST
Up north (Fairbanks) we actually had a atleast 10 if not 14 straight days of 90+
Damn hot if you ask me
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 10:53:58 PM EST
In fact, Fairbanks broke the old record of 70+ deg days in the summer since it was set back in 1963 (or was it 1936?). Of course, it had to be stinking hot all the while I was working my ass off moving into my new digs. The cooler days of sun blocking putrid smoke was almost welcome. The smoke of 5+ million acres of fires (91 fires if I recall correctly) seems to generate a bit of smoke. Go figure. 2,000 acres go up in some state and the news comes all unglued. We burn up 5 million and I practically never hear about it on national news.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:05:24 AM EST

Originally Posted By AK_Mike:
The smoke of 5+ million acres of fires (91 fires if I recall correctly) seems to generate a bit of smoke. Go figure. 2,000 acres go up in some state and the news comes all unglued. We burn up 5 million and I practically never hear about it on national news.

Yeah, they whine quite a bit about these 500 acre fires down here....

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 3:40:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 3:40:45 AM EST by redfisher]

Originally Posted By uafgrad:
Up north (Fairbanks) we actually had a atleast 10 if not 14 straight days of 90+
Damn hot if you ask me

must be global warming, huh?

hope the fires aren't as bad as they are reported to be..............

redfisher
clearwater, fla
and you guys would be welcome around here anytime
Top Top