Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2013 3:14:13 AM EDT
Just wondering if any hassles - shouldn't be IMO bec we have til next year to address the "gun" and "mags"...

Have done it a bunch in the past, just not since SAFE.  Wondering if anything has changed "even though it shouldn't have" - thx
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 3:02:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fly with a shotgun all the time.

I have gotten to know the PA cop's a bit.

Last month a kid showed up at JFK with several handguns with over ten shot mags.

He was flying to Florida to store the guns at his parents house while he waited into get in the NYPD academy this month.

He had no permit.

One of the cop's tried to let him through but the partner was a dick and locked the kid up.

Charged him with the guns and mags.
View Quote

That's the problem right there.  Forget about NYC airports reputation for a minute, forget about the SAFE act, and forget about the Federal Transportation laws.  How in the fuck would anyone think it's okay to possess handguns anywhere in NYS without a license?

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The PA cop's said the kid came home from the service with the guns.

Now he will never be a cop.

I guess he just tried to take a chance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I fly with a shotgun all the time.

I have gotten to know the PA cop's a bit.

Last month a kid showed up at JFK with several handguns with over ten shot mags.

He was flying to Florida to store the guns at his parents house while he waited into get in the NYPD academy this month.

He had no permit.

One of the cop's tried to let him through but the partner was a dick and locked the kid up.

Charged him with the guns and mags.

That's the problem right there.  Forget about NYC airports reputation for a minute, forget about the SAFE act, and forget about the Federal Transportation laws.  How in the fuck would anyone think it's okay to possess handguns anywhere in NYS without a license?

The PA cop's said the kid came home from the service with the guns.

Now he will never be a cop.

I guess he just tried to take a chance.

NY's finest right there. I'm gonna bet he had base permits for those weapons before, and since he got out he never registered with the state or city.

That said, fuck all those sons a bitches who want to jam up a soldier for anything short of a DWI, assault, or something horrendous. Weapons charges are flipping retarded
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

NY's finest right there. I'm gonna bet he had base permits for those weapons before, and since he got out he never registered with the state or city.

That said, fuck all those sons a bitches who want to jam up a soldier for anything short of a DWI, assault, or something horrendous. Weapons charges are flipping retarded
View Quote

Weapons charges get a pass, but a drink over the limit gets locked up?
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 7:40:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the guy was not trying to kill everyone around him by being drunk while driving.  He was just transporting his weapons to storage.

Link Posted: 7/23/2013 8:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yes, the guy was not trying to kill everyone around him by being drunk while driving.  He was just transporting his weapons to storage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you think people who had one drink too many are actively trying to kill everyone around them?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:01:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you think people who had one drink too many are actively trying to kill everyone around them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cetane mentioned being drunk while driving, not about someone who had one drink too many.

The person who has one drink too many and gets behind a steering wheel - should have sorted out their priorities before their first drink. Society has known for a long time now that your first drink is enough to distort how the brain works into making the drinker think they can competently operate a vehicle while intoxicated.

So yes, the person who had one drink too many and gets behind a wheel is indeed a shit-bag, and while not necessarily actively trying to kill everyone around them, often lacks the means of restraining themselves from killing someone.

Hope you see the difference.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cetane mentioned being drunk while driving, not about someone who had one drink too many.

The person who has one drink too many and gets behind a steering wheel - should have sorted out their priorities before their first drink. Society has known for a long time now that your first drink is enough to distort how the brain works into making the drinker think they can competently operate a vehicle while intoxicated.

So yes, the person who had one drink too many and gets behind a wheel is indeed a shit-bag, and while not necessarily actively trying to kill everyone around them, often lacks the means of restraining themselves from killing someone.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point exactly....

being a dumb ass and getting behind the wheel drunk (which in my convoluted mind is much different than blowing a .08, which in most cases will actually get you a pass if you are not a complete asshat to the cop anyway) and driving is and active attempt at hurting yourself or others. Moving guns that you legally own in just about every other state, to a free state is not anything illegal or malicious. NYPD just doing their dick thing again... my apologies to any NYPD on here who fight the good fight
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
If one were to live in a neighboring state and needed to fly somewhere out of JFK, would they not be protected under FOPA? If not, then NYS may as well be foreign country to me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If one were to live in a neighboring state and needed to fly somewhere out of JFK, would they not be protected under FOPA? If not, then NYS may as well be foreign country to me.
View Quote

No, and Newyorkistan is already a foreign country.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

My point exactly....

being a dumb ass and getting behind the wheel drunk (which in my convoluted mind is much different than blowing a .08, which in most cases will actually get you a pass if you are not a complete asshat to the cop anyway) and driving is and active attempt at hurting yourself or others. Moving guns that you legally own in just about every other state, to a free state is not anything illegal or malicious. NYPD just doing their dick thing again... my apologies to any NYPD on here who fight the good fight
View Quote

I totally get your point. I am every bit as pro gun as you are. However, taking your pistols to a NYC airport where police interaction due to having the guns is not just possible, it's assured, is plain dumb. I feel sorry for him, and as others have said, it's legal is almost every other free state in the country. Should he have been arrested? No. But those are the laws, and anyone who knows even a little bit about NYC should know that.

And yes, I know when people say 'driving drunk' they are imagining someone swerving all over the roadway with a vodka bottle in their hand with a BAC of .25%. Bottom line though, you said a .mil vet should get a break on weapon possession charges, but if he was pulled over for a headlight out, and was found to be .08 BAC (DWI per se) he shouldn't get a break. I found that be strange, but I understand now your position.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I totally get your point. I am every bit as pro gun as you are. However, taking your pistols to a NYC airport where police interaction due to having the guns is not just possible, it's assured, is plain dumb. I feel sorry for him, and as others have said, it's legal is almost every other free state in the country. Should he have been arrested? No. But those are the laws, and anyone who knows even a little bit about NYC should know that.

And yes, I know when people say 'driving drunk' they are imagining someone swerving all over the roadway with a vodka bottle in their hand with a BAC of .25%. Bottom line though, you said a .mil vet should get a break on weapon possession charges, but if he was pulled over for a headlight out, and was found to be .08 BAC (DWI per se) he shouldn't get a break. I found that be strange, but I understand now your position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point exactly....

You have a valid point I suppose.

Now explain this to me. Does the NYPD conduct the luggage searches at JFK? I was of the belief system that TSA handled that. So why would NYPD even know he had them. Better yet what gives the PD the right to search his bag in the first place. They are not permitted to inspect your luggage without permission in any normal case, so what gives them a right in this case? TSA has permission as mandated by the Fed, plus the fact that by checking the bag you give them the implied permission. But no one gives the local police that right in an Intl airport correct?

IDK, I really can't stand LE at times
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 12:06:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Now explain this to me. Does the NYPD conduct the luggage searches at JFK? I was of the belief system that TSA handled that. So why would NYPD even know he had them. Better yet what gives the PD the right to search his bag in the first place. They are not permitted to inspect your luggage without permission in any normal case, so what gives them a right in this case? TSA has permission as mandated by the Fed, plus the fact that by checking the bag you give them the implied permission. But no one gives the local police that right in an Intl airport correct?

IDK, I really can't stand LE at times
View Quote

PAPD makes the arrest at LGA and JFK airports.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
Hey, there is a lot of the law that you are not getting, as it applies to getting on an aircraft from the NYC metro area. For starters, that "international" airport is run by the Port Authority, and as the learned RKBar pointed out, the LE division of the Port Authority conduct those "permit/gun" verifications.

Is it stupid? I don't know, but whatever system is used in every other airport in the country outside of the PAPD and NYS system works equally as well. They are  not checking for guns getting INTO the state, so...

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey, there is a lot of the law that you are not getting, as it applies to getting on an aircraft from the NYC metro area. For starters, that "international" airport is run by the Port Authority, and as the learned RKBar pointed out, the LE division of the Port Authority conduct those "permit/gun" verifications.

Is it stupid? I don't know, but whatever system is used in every other airport in the country outside of the PAPD and NYS system works equally as well. They are  not checking for guns getting INTO the state, so...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So I can make sure I am understanding this correctly:

The Port Authority is notified if you have guns in your baggage by the TSA, and they they run a check to see if you have a state permit? Sounds highly illegal to me, seeing as they do not control interstate traffic, as well as the fact that anyone could be making a transfer flight out of that airport, and be in "violation" of the law if so. But Commercial flights are not bound by local laws, so I do not see any reason why it would be any different in this case. for instance, if you were transporting fireworks on an airplane (its legal, just a mess of paperwork and lots of fees) and you touched down in JFK, and were being connected to a flight to Charlotte, the local authorities have NO right under Federal Law to touch you, because you are on a commercial flight.

If I am misunderstanding any of this please let me know, but I for one have flown through JFK about 10 times with handguns registered to myself in Utah, and made a connection to Erie, PA (specifically so I could drive home to Buffalo from there without the hassle from NY LE.

So I guess what I'm not clear on what exactly happens when you fly out with a gun in your checked bags at JFK or LaGuardia. Are they rummaging through your stuff after the TSA looks through it? or how does that exactly work. someone on here must have first hand knowledge right?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:09:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 6:52:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This all happens when you check your bags.  When you do that, you are in possession of them and their contents.

If you're switching planes at JFK, they don't search and you're not in possession of your bags or their contents.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Port Authority is notified if you have guns in your baggage by the TSA, and they they run a check to see if you have a state permit? Sounds highly illegal to me, seeing as they do not control interstate traffic, as well as the fact that anyone could be making a transfer flight out of that airport, and be in "violation" of the law if so. But Commercial flights are not bound by local laws, so I do not see any reason why it would be any different in this case. for instance, if you were transporting fireworks on an airplane (its legal, just a mess of paperwork and lots of fees) and you touched down in JFK, and were being connected to a flight to Charlotte, the local authorities have NO right under Federal Law to touch you, because you are on a commercial flight.

If I am misunderstanding any of this please let me know, but I for one have flown through JFK about 10 times with handguns registered to myself in Utah, and made a connection to Erie, PA (specifically so I could drive home to Buffalo from there without the hassle from NY LE.

So I guess what I'm not clear on what exactly happens when you fly out with a gun in your checked bags at JFK or LaGuardia. Are they rummaging through your stuff after the TSA looks through it? or how does that exactly work. someone on here must have first hand knowledge right?

This all happens when you check your bags.  When you do that, you are in possession of them and their contents.

If you're switching planes at JFK, they don't search and you're not in possession of your bags or their contents.

I guess Im just out of touch. when I would come home from school, I would fly into and out of PA as I said before, because I didn't want to deal with NYS and their ridiculous handgun laws. Not saying it was the smartest move but you know what? I survived so fuck them.

when I would fly out of SLC I can honestly say I NEVER had an issue with handguns. Lock in their cases, separate from ammo, and the TSA would smile wave and tell me have a nice day. Never had an SLC officer even look at them.
When I would get to Erie, wit was much the same. no issues at all, and never a police officer looking through my stuff. just the TSA.

So maybe its just NY? Either way... 3.5 years and hopefully Im on my way back to the Beehive state where my family and my guns will be free from profiling
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Port Authority is notified if you have guns in your baggage by the TSA, and they they run a check to see if you have a state permit?

View Quote

Not just at the PAPD airports. AFAIK the TSA at every airport in NYS notifies the local on-site police agency providing LE services at the airport when you declare a handgun at an airline check-in counter.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't know JFK, but at SYR, TSA calls the Syracuse Police over to inspect your guns and make sure that you have a permit for any handguns.
View Quote

Same thing in my county airport
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote

Hello,

What part of it sounds "illegal"? What law, statute or ruling are you taking into consideration in arriving at the conclusion that things seem "highly", "illegal"?

For the times I have flown out of EWR, LGA and JFK with guns, sometimes the airlines call the cops, other times the airlines call TSA, who in turn call the cops.

This is what usually happens when you check a bag at JFK/LGA/EWR

- you notify the airline that you have a firearm

- they fill a form out, drop in in the firearm enclosure (same like any non NY/PAPD airport) (I think you have to sign it)

- the TSA and/or police are summoned

- they inspect the gun to make sure it is unloaded

- your gun case is sealed, your bag is secured

- you are advised to stick around in the event TSA needs to open your bag when it goes thru the scanners

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top