Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2010 9:43:20 PM EDT
I go out there at least twice a month, and the ground is littered with shells but 9/10 times I'm the only guy out there. Is there like a midnight shooting club i don't know about?

Why don't we arrange an AR-15 shoot out there one of these days
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to go a bit further north to Table Mesa because I thought that was the closest I could be to the city and still shoot. Then it pretty much got taken over by people riding their dirt bikes and quads right through your firing lines.
It's been years since I've even tried to go up there. I always thought Pioneer would be way to close to city limits, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:08:09 AM EDT
[#2]
ARFCOM shoot? I'm in!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I used to shoot dove in the area, until a city cop told me I was discharging in city limits.  Said on the the West side of the interstate, city limits extended all the way up to near New River.  I tried to explain to the cop, I was in what I thought was marked state property, but he was in no mood to hear my comment so thought better to leave and look if up later on.  That was some time ago and I never have returned.  I've always been confused by the differning postings of State Property vs. P.C.C. (Phoenix City Code) signs out in the middle of the desert.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:24:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I tried to explain to the cop, I was in what I thought was marked state property,

Except that posted state property is usually State Trust Land, and there's no shooting on it.  Hunting, when in season with license, is permitted on State Trust Land, but shooting, target shooting, plinking, sighting-in, etc., are not.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to go a bit further north to Table Mesa because I thought that was the closest I could be to the city and still shoot. Then it pretty much got taken over by people riding their dirt bikes and quads right through your firing lines.
It's been years since I've even tried to go up there. I always thought Pioneer would be way to close to city limits, but I could be wrong.

I also used to shoot at table mesa until i found out you could shoot at Pioneer, its about 25 minutes closer, and its always empty out there and super nice. Huge mountain for a back drop so its very safe.

The only downside is you must have a truck to make it out to pioneer a car will not make it, but what we could do is for the guys that have cars they could drive as far in as cars can go and then someone in a truck could ferry them, I wouldn't mind helping.

There is about half a foot of standing water at all times you have to drive through and then it just gets really rutty and bumpy.

But if we ever set a date to all head our and shoot I would go for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as it's verified that the land is legal to shoot on, let's do it! My Sept and Oct are busy, but I wouldn't mind heading south in November. Unless some guys want to do it during the weekdays, my weekdays are always more available.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
i usually shoot at four peaks
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:31:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I wish I knew where all these places are. I know what the I-17 is, but where is pioneer? Never even heard of four peaks. I'm terrible with directions.

I usually go out to flatiron mountain past buckeye. It's quite a drive, like an hour, hour and 20 minutes, and my sedan can make it through the trail, never had an issue, and rarely see anyone else out there.

Anyone know any places where we can shoot out to 800 - 1000 yards safely?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:40:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never heard of four peaks either, but you probably know what Pioneer is and you just don't remember it, if you have ever taken the I-17 north to Flagstaff than you have passed the exit which is just called Pioneer. You get off the highway and go left then you are on a semi-windey road and eventually the road well take a hard left well instead of going left you just go straight off the road into the desert, and anywhere out there that is 2 miles away from a structure you can shoot, you get the idea though once your ankle deep in shotgun shells and brass its ok to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#10]
The area off of Pioneer Rd looks to be either City of Phx or State Trust Land (depending on where you are shooting).   You can check out who owns what land by taking a look at this -> http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It labeled State/county/city, what the deal with that, your not allowed to shoot in state land even if there is nothing around for miles?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Pioneer Road is both State Land AND within city limits.  You'll eventually get hassled by the man if you shoot there enough.

Maybe Blue_Falcon will repost his animated movie about the cops and Pioneer Road.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I wish I knew where all these places are. I know what the I-17 is, but where is pioneer? Never even heard of four peaks. I'm terrible with directions.

I usually go out to flatiron mountain past buckeye. It's quite a drive, like an hour, hour and 20 minutes, and my sedan can make it through the trail, never had an issue, and rarely see anyone else out there.

Anyone know any places where we can shoot out to 800 - 1000 yards safely?

The terrain in central Arizona makes it a real bitch to find a safe 1000 meter lane.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It labeled State/county/city, what the deal with that, your not allowed to shoot in state land even if there is nothing around for miles?

State of Arizona land is not allowed for recreational use except for licensed hunters in season.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#15]
four peaks is down hwy 87 a ways out. It has a few good places to shoot at
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Or . . . . we can just have another one up here in Prescott. It's 85 degress right now! The place where we normally have our HTF shoots up here has a 500 yard lane and you could stretch it out to 800+ if you place yourself in the right spot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:19:08 PM EDT
[#17]
That sucks, I had no idea, I'm actually heading out there today with some friends I'll look for any signs or anything but I've never seen anything out there.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pioneer Road is both State Land AND within city limits.  You'll eventually get hassled by the man if you shoot there enough.

Maybe Blue_Falcon will repost his animated movie about the cops and Pioneer Road.

It took me a while to find it:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/6021749/

They were pretty firm about it being inside city limits. Whether it is or not, I don't recommend shooting there as it may attract their attention and I definitely don't recommend detonating large explosive charges there as that WILL attract their attention.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#19]
we dove hunt inside new river road in the state trust land right next to the clay target center... according to the sherrif south of carefree highway is city limits but then on new river road the sign say welcome to phoenix. we havent had any leo's of any sort bother us up there and we are only a few miles from the prison too. id be in for an AZ ARF shoot!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were pretty firm about it being inside city limits. Whether it is or not, I don't recommend shooting there as it may attract their attention and I definitely don't recommend detonating large explosive charges there as that WILL attract their attention.

HAHAHA! that's funny!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:46:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap man I almost shit my pants. that's hilarious
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:54:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I went out there today and I saw something weird there was a random brand new Avalon parked about a mile into the desert so I was wondering what was going on so I head out to my normal spot and there is about 20-30 Hispanic teenagers ages 14-18 blaring "Vato" music you know the music where they play the goofy sounding accordion thing and they sing in Spanish really fast, they had about 2 shotguns that I could see and i had a feeling they were hiding more. It got super quiet when i drove by, and since i didn't want to shoot anywhere near them I drove around the next bend in the mountain on the other side of a berm.

After that I had a really great day we set off some tannerite and shot a lot of clays, stationary and thrown. My Remington 870 gave me all kinds of trouble, randomly the breach refuses to open.

And i noticed my AK is randomly throwing flak into my right eye, not enough to hurt me just enough to sting for a little, so i had to wear safety glasses after, kinda lame.

And now you guys are telling me its Illegal to shoot there. Problems are stacking up.

Oh and I looked around there is no posted sign of any sort, and it is 2- 3 miles away from any buildings. The only thing close is the prison.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The best place is west of the 17 on carefree highway.  About a mile past lake pleasant on the south side of the road. Anybody know where I'm talking about? You have to go through the barbwire gate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The best place is west of the 17 on carefree highway.  About a mile past lake pleasant on the south side of the road. Anybody know where I'm talking about? You have to go through the barbwire gate.

Yes I have shot there once, its a bit further of a drive for me through, pioneer is 20 minutes away for me so it trumps all.

I don't know If you have noticed those laid over metal street signs with the base's pointing toward you so you can shoot them, those are perfectly ranged at 50, 100, 150, and 200, or they were at least before i left for A-stan.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:13:48 AM EDT
[#25]
There are only 2 places in the state of Arizona that you can legally targe shoot.  That is BLM land and National Forest land.  State trust land is illegal along with any City limits.  Just because its not posted, does not mean that it isnt illegal.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:04:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That sounds like it might be near mile marker 18. That had been closed to shooting the last time I was out there. It's BLM land so otherwise it would be good.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Goto N33 55.686 W112 10.870 N/W corner of I-17 & New River take the road with the mailboxes on the north side veer left (west). If you pass the No Shooting Signs you are on the correct road..The sign area is City of Phoenix once you pass the gassline rd its BLM. Use your GPS, follow the road to the spot. 2wd is fine but 4x with a bit of clearance is better.

Its roughly in section 17 on this map http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
There are only 2 places in the state of Arizona that you can legally targe shoot.  That is BLM land and National Forest land.  State trust land is illegal along with any City limits.  Just because its not posted, does not mean that it isnt illegal.

You forgot #3.  Private land, with permission of the landowner.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:42:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You forgot #3.  Private land, with permission of the landowner.

You can also shoot on the Reservation but you have to bring enough beer for any natives that stop by.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:05:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've never had a problem out there. The area plus several other if you drive a little further are well used so it would appear that the law isn't enforced.  On top of that I can almost always hear others shooting across the road more north of where I usually go.

I will say this though. The folks that enjoy the areas I mentioned in my first post are great. They never or should say harldly ever leave a mess.  I've gone there many times to find the targets/trash piled up in the center of a parking circle type deal. Even the casings are snatched up.  The occasional donkey is the only distraction in dem dare parts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sounds like it might be near mile marker 18. That had been closed to shooting the last time I was out there. It's BLM land so otherwise it would be good.

No. I believe its privatly owned from what a friend tells me.  Some old rancher that drives a white pickup truck.  I've ran into him before when I was leaving out the gate.  He was coming in while I was going out.  My friend told me that he doesn't mind as long as we (shooters) keep the area clean. (see post above)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Goto N33 55.686 W112 10.870 N/W corner of I-17 & New River take the road with the mailboxes on the north side veer left (west). If you pass the No Shooting Signs you are on the correct road..The sign area is City of Phoenix once you pass the gassline rd its BLM. Use your GPS, follow the road to the spot. 2wd is fine but 4x with a bit of clearance is better.

Its roughly in section 17 on this map http://www.geocommunicator.gov/blmMap/Map.jsp?MAP=LAND

This spot has a few 250 yard shots setup on the hill to the north. Its a popular weekend shooting spot. Lastime we were there the few people riding asked if I was going to the group shooting & when I said yes he said his group will drive cautiously and are glad we are not shooting towards the road like some do, he commented that he has never seen so many amazing weapons which he has only seen in magazines. Also said people do not bring out that much with tables full of silenced hand guns & rifles, he knew we would respect the road and his family so he would respect us

When we go we put a 20'x50' tarp down under the 5-6 tables to easily clean our brass. There is plenty of parking area and the bowl goes down about 4'. Sometimes there are targets in the bowl and sometimes people take them with.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top