Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 3:22:24 PM EDT
I have been hearing talk around the office and at clients about how they should get stricter about gun control because of the recent rash of shootings here in Phoenix.  Its getting me worried.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Educate them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Educate them.

Co workers I have been, but when a client starts going on about it, its very hard to say anything to extreme.  And when I turn of the business mode, I usually say things I shouldnt or people take offense to.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Politely point out that all of the recent shootings were CRIMINAL ACTS that were in violation of current laws.  And you can point out that most (if not all) of these shooters were already banned from possession of guns under current law.  

Adding more laws that will be ignored by criminals will not stop shootings by criminals.  Agree with the sentiment of those who you are talking with - but suggest that a more effective way to stop these shootings is to keep criminals in prison rather than letting them out to do more damage to society.  

Use logic and facts to persuade people and you won't offend them.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got several liberal clients and everytime there's a shooting I wind up having to listen to their frothing at the mouth, anti gun rants.  Normally I don't even bother saying anything because these Michael Moore devotee's don't want to know the truth, they want to continue operating on emotion.  But every now and again I ask them this, "Since it's criminals that are doing these shootings, and since the definition of a criminal is someone that does NOT obey the law, how is passing a gun law going to prevent these shootings?"   Usually they answer me with lies and propaganda directly off the Barbara Boxer website, but like I said, they don't want to have to actually work to find out the truth and form an opinion based on logic, they'd rather carry on based on "feelings" and what Moore says in his latest "documentary".
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:03:48 AM EDT
[#5]
i wouldn't worry about it.  we should thank MM and the MSM and moveon and the rest for radicalizing the core of the democrats because it has moved the moderate democrats over to the right.  most of the dems in congress know how screwed they are because of this and they have no choice but to lay low and hope the trend will stop.  but it won't because the hard left are such a bunch of screetching, desperate blowhards and it's gonna destroy the dems.  check this out, for instance- Kos is one of the most influential lefty bloggers out there and he's declared war on the dem leadership.  it's great!

http://decision08.net/2005/08/24/of-course-you-know-this-means-war/
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#6]
what do you expect with all the Californians coming here...  our reputation as a gun friendly state is numbered...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top