Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/26/2009 6:42:52 PM EDT
Artists like Aaron Watson, Randy Rogers, Roger Creager, Kevin Fowler, Wade Bowen, Corry Morrow, Charlie Robinson, Eli Young, Jason Boland, Reckless Kelly,.......   and other bands like them?

Just wondering if i'm the only country bumkin here
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Listen to them all and more. The great thing about being in Lubbock is we get normally have someone from Texas Country/ Red Dirt playing here every wkd.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I listened to The Man that I have Been all the way through while studying in the library today. Good stuff. Wouldn't you know it I hated country until I went to A&M.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I listen to a little bit of it.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If Im not listening to bluegrass Im listening to Texas Country
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I listened to The Man that I have Been all the way through while studying in the library today. Good stuff. Wouldn't you know it I hated country until I went to A&M.

Bryan/College Station has to be one of the best places to get into Texas music. KTEX 106 is the best radio station around, I can get it at home, just wish I could pick it up at work in Houston.

And it's good to know I'm not alone
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#6]
take eli young out of the list and THEN call it texas country.  gonna come to austin for lonestar state jam?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I absolutely hated country music until I came to Texas, and even for a good while then. Now all day long I listen to 959 the ranch online, awesome stuff.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:02:29 PM EDT
[#8]
My favorite would be Robert Earl Keen.

Earl
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You listed the top 5 in my cd player.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:37:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I can't believe that it took five posts for someone to mention Robert Earl Keen.   We're kind of into his mindset/shtick around here and refer to him as "Crazy Uncle Bobby."  I have a degree in literature and definitely respect that he can tell a mean story.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 10:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I will listen to just about anything.  I rely on my brother to keep me up to date on new artists on the country scene.  I used to work with the lead singer of the derailers.  I've got a ton of RobertEarl on MP3 in my car now.  What I like about him is the range.  Slower songs, funny songs, songs to get druck to, and song to sit quietly and drink whiskey.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:55:49 AM EDT
[#12]
oh yea and cory morrow was a guest judge in a charity boxing match i was in. cool guy in person. now someone explain to me why many texans hate on pat green and say he's a sellout. is it just because he moved out of state??? i only started listening to country 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:34:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Artists like Aaron Watson, Randy Rogers, Roger Creager, Kevin Fowler, Wade Bowen, Corry Morrow, Charlie Robinson, Eli Young, Jason Boland, Reckless Kelly,.......   and other bands like them?

Just wondering if i'm the only country bumkin here

Yes
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:30:33 AM EDT
[#14]
i know i live in GA but not from here. but i think you forgot one of the best ones and thats Cross Canadian Ragweed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bryan/College Station has to be one of the best places to get into Texas music. KTEX 106 is the best radio station around, I can get it at home, just wish I could pick it up at work in Houston.

And it's good to know I'm not alone

Hey check out 925theoutlaw.com   that's a texas country station out of San Antonio and they "stream, just like after a few beers"  Similar format to JackFM.   I'm seeing Randy Rogers this weekend at John T. Floore's Country Store in Helotes.....

p.s. I'm also in Houston.

ETA: My Grandpa used to be in a band that played with Willie Nelson; back when Willie had short, clean cut hair and wore suits.  I've seen pictures!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:16:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Texas country is about all I have listened to for the last twelve or thirteen years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:27:30 AM EDT
[#18]
How can you have a list of Texas Country artists and not include Stoney LaRue? Seriously?

If you get the chance this summer, the best venue I've been to in a while is Whitewater Ampitheater outside of New Braunfels. A great weekend to go would be Randy Roger's Sake of the Song weekend, it is for a good cause. www.whitewaterrocks.com (no I don't get paid for this).

I have a friend who lives over near Bryan, and we argue all the time about which place is better for Texas music, and I think it is a toss up. Austin/San Marcos/New Braunfels is right there with Bryan/College Station in shows and talent. I like being here though since I get to hang out with most of the guys after the shows and at random times.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How can you have a list of Texas Country artists and not include Stoney LaRue? Seriously?

Stoney's Red Dirt.

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:48:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Listen to Bo McDowell's "Between Heaven and Hell".  
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:55:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Ya'll left out Dub Miller.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Y'all know I'd be here all day naming off bands that are awesome, those are just the first ones in my mind.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Its about all I listen to with the exception of Jamey Johnson.

Lets not forget...

Jarrod Birmingham
Tommy Alverson
Ed Burleson
Doug Sahm
Jerry Jeff Walker
Doug Moreland
Gary P Nunn
Randy Brown
Eleven Hundred Springs
Houston Marchman
Zona Jones

and the greatest of all time...Billy Joe Shaver
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:34:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Hell yes!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:51:54 AM EDT
[#25]
... and Jason Boland, Reckless Kelly, Wade Bowen, Ryan Bingham, Bleu Edmondson, Brandon Rhyder, Josh Grider, Johnny Cooper, Walt Wilkins, the brothers Robison, Mike McClure...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Slaid Cleaves
Bart Crow Band
Adam Hood
Cory Morrow
Ryan Bingham
Max Stalling
Charlie Robinson
If you live in DFW area try 95.3 the range plays alot of Texas Country
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#27]
That's all I want to listen to.   Unfortunately 94.7 badlands FM just came back on the air after about a year stint as a tejano station.

Thank God they're back!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#28]
That's all I want to listen to.   Unfortunately 94.7 badlands FM just came back on the air after about a year stint as a tejano station.

Thank God they're back!!!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Texas Country?

old school

me and Clay Blaker and Dale Watson

Some of the texas country people I've worked with:
Johnny Bush

Clay Blaker

Clay wrote a few good tunes.

Mark Chesnut

Mark Nesler

Billy "Popeye" Carter (former Texas Playboy)

Used to own a dancehall back in the day when honkytonks were honkytonks

2,000 sq. ft. of Arkansas oak and NO LINE DANCING...we held our women when we danced.
(btw: carried a Ruger Speed Six in those days)

There are some good, young players out there keeping the tradition alive.  Has anyone mentioned Jason Allen?
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:02:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Wow! That last picture of a dancehall, I swear is a spitting image of the Cabaret in Bandera, Tx which is now a music museum.

Several years ago (before my dancing time as I'm only 26), a good majority of the dance halls around San Antonio actually had forced dress codes.  I kinda wish they still did.  Then again you can tell the girls apart, the ones that wanna dance, and the ones that dress like BrittneySpears and just go to drink.....

I actually had one girl (flat bottom shoes, and a funky beret type hat, obviously wasn't there to dance) reply to my dance invitation that she had "to hold down the fort"  Yeah you gotta watch out for them ingines that come marauding by, they'll scalp you, and take over your fort. The "fort" happened to be a cedar plank surrounding the dance floor so you can lean, dance, or rest your beer on.  

OH and no one mention Bob Wills, Aaron Watson, Way Wylie Hubbard, or Two tons of Steel (who's drummer went to my highschool).
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Micky and the Motorcars, Todd Fritsch and  Grainger Smith too

Even if theres no real point to this thread maybe it'll get a few names out there to some people that don't know what they're missing
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Micky and the Motorcars, Todd Fritsch and  Grainger Smith too

Even if theres no real point to this thread maybe it'll get a few names out there to some people that don't know what they're missing

good call
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Dale Watson is the man.

Mark McKinney, Bart Crow, Max Stalling, Cooder Graw, Junior Brown, Rodney Crowell, Radney Foster.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Cody Johnson, Stoney LaRue, Charlie Robison, Pat Green, Cory Morrow, Kevin Fowler, Radney Foster, Randy Rogers, Jerry Jeff Walker, Roger Creager, Jack Ingram, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earl, Clay Baker, Jason Boland, Chris Knight, Willie Nelson

Only real country left...
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Speaking of "left", Clay sold everything he owned (even his gold and platinum records) except for his tools, fishing tackle, and a change of clothes and moved to an island off the coast of Panama.

Now he just surfs, fishes, snorkles, and pounds nails building beach houses.

Man, when he quit the music business he did it just like he got into the music business: all in or nuthin'.

"Cody Johnson, Stoney LaRue, Charlie Robison, Pat Green, Cory Morrow, Kevin Fowler, Radney Foster, Randy Rogers, Jerry Jeff Walker, Roger Creager, Jack Ingram, Robert Earl Keen, Lyle Lovett, Steve Earl, Clay Baker, Jason Boland, Chris Knight, Willie Nelson"

Good list, but don't forget a few of the veterans out there keeping the dancewax spread like Alvin Crow and Gary P. Nunn.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You listed the top 5 in my cd player.

That sounded like my Ipod.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#37]
someone should make a list of some of the best, of hits of Texas Country
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

... and Jason Boland, Reckless Kelly, Wade Bowen, Ryan Bingham, Bleu Edmondson, Brandon Rhyder, Josh Grider, Johnny Cooper, Walt Wilkins, the brothers Robison, Mike McClure...

+1 for Mike McClure, Jason Boland, and Ryan Bingham!

Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#39]
come on, somebody answer my question about pat green. why is he a sellout? i really dont get it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Don't forget:
   Drew Womack (hey Daisy is my favorite)
   Marc Monaco
   Bruce Robison

and since no one mentioned them...

the Dixie Chicks
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:28:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I listen to all of these. You should also check out a guy named Charlie Shafter. great CD. Pat green is a sell out because he would get on stage and preach about Nashville sucking and such and then jumped ship first chance he got. I have nothing against him and still listen to him but definate difference in musical taste in the first 2 albums and what is out now. From Texas COuntry to Kenny Chesney. Also put Shooter Jennings in there also. Phil Pritchett is the man!!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#42]
anyone remember Bruce Kidder from The Range?

I miss my friend and my morning rants.

I still talk to him, but he's way out west.

Bad Cover Brian
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Cody Widner................and pretty much everyone else y'all listed
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 12:34:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
anyone remember Bruce Kidder from The Range?

I miss my friend and my morning rants.

I still talk to him, but he's way out west.

Bad Cover Brian

95.3 just isn't the same without Bruce.  He could be a bit of a prick at times, but I liked his style.  I thoroughly enjoyed your bad cover bit in the mornings, as well.  

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:05:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 for Mike McClure, Jason Boland, and Ryan Bingham!

agreed on those three,
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Jimmy Lee Jones FTW, seen him a couple a times out at Poodie's Hilltop Bar.

He's been around a good long while and puts on a hell of show.
http://www.jimmyleejones.com/songs.html

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:44:57 AM EDT
[#47]
The best story teller EVER!!!!- Robert Earl Keen
Able to get the most emotion from a song- Bleu Edmondson
The best "this is just how it is" songs- Rodney Crowell (Obscenity Prayer)
Best pool hall sound- Ray Willie Hubbard

And that's just a fraction of my playlist. If it comes from a Texas singer I probably like it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#48]
http://www.texasrebelradio.com/homepage.htm

Listen Live
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#49]
I listen to the depressing beer drinking country haha.

George Jones, Merle Haggard, Unleashed Live! (Charlie Robinson and gang recorded live at Gruene Hall), David Allen Coe, etc
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:16:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I listen to the depressing beer drinking country haha.

George Jones, Merle Haggard, Unleashed Live! (Charlie Robinson and gang recorded live at Gruene Hall), David Allen Coe, etc

Unleashed Live is a badass CD!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top