Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2006 3:52:26 PM EDT

I ended up spending WAY more than I had planned...

Ed Brown Kobra Carry...

Nighthawk GRP Recon...

Ruger 10/22 with a 3x-9x Tasco scope and a 10/22 soft case.

Old US Coast Guard dress sabre and scabbard (the wife really wanted it).

Pics and Range Report after I pick up the pistols from transfer...

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
was there .308 and 223 ??
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything good there
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw some .223 (mostly loose and bagged), and 1 south african .308 battlepack, and probably some loose/boxed stuff.

I was surprised at how few people were there, actually.  Must be because of the crappy weather.  I saw some class III stuff, too .  There seemed to be less milsurp guns and more clothing and militaria than the Valley Forge show last month.  I didn't see anything that was super duper, though.

I did pick up some 8 mm mauser stripper clips and a hand grenade as well..heh...
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I was there for a few hours. Strangely enough, I was looking at that 10-22!  Anyone know why there was a firetruck and ambulance there around 4pm? I left the show and went to wendies to get some food, and when I was leaving there was a lot of activity going on.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Heh, the table that had the 10/22 also had the two pistols I bought.  I have no clue what the trouble was, but a few firefighter/EMT types were walking around inside, but beyond that I have no clue.  The tasco scope is really a step up from the super el-cheaper red dot I was planning to put on .
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I took 3,000 .40 cal copper plated bullets and 8 lbs of w 844 surplus powders.... save me a lot of shipping and hazmat fee..... there were lot of NJ legal AK's that are worth considering......parking is a pain, better have a truck or 4x4 suv with you....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have considered the AKs, but I wasn't sure which ones were Jersey legal and I didn't want to rely on someone working a table to tell me (as they might be misinformed).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I took 3,000 .40 cal copper plated bullets and 8 lbs of w 844 surplus powders.... save me a lot of shipping and hazmat fee..... there were lot of NJ legal AK's that are worth considering......parking is a pain, better have a truck or 4x4 suv with you....

Could you be a little more specific as to the types of  NJ legal AK's that they had?  I was at Valley Forge last month and I did not see any other than WASR's.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:12:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I suppose I could be proactive next show and bring a NJ ban list + list of evil features and make my own determination.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:33:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not really sure if I'm correct or the guy on the table was a realiable source of NJ legal firearms, as far as I'm concern with my best understanding is if it is not subtantially identical to the ban you'r good. Of course minus the evil features and the mags caps limit. I'm considering AK coz I don't own one, I'm looking forward  getting mine from SARCO as I've have heard they have a ten rounds mags.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:37:08 AM EDT
[#11]
There were a lot of NJ legal AK type guns at the show this weekend. A friend of mine had a nice Arsenal 7.62 for sale at the Stonybrook tables, and a lot of Romanian etc guns too.

AKs are really pretty simple: you don't want it to match any of the named guns, you don't want a threaded barrel (or permanently attached f/s - but 9/10ths of AKs have muzzle brakes, which as long as they're welded on are fine), and no bayo lug or folding stock.

On the fixed stock guns the bayo lug is usually the giveaway - if it's got a bayo lug, chances are the muzzle brake (usually the slant kind on romanian guns) is NOT welded. If it doesn't push the detent pin in and try to spin the brake :)

We (Area 51 Tactical) had a great weekend at the show - just wish I wasn't so darn sick. Thank you to all the customers that stopped by :)

oh and nutbad - make sure you DON'T get a single stack 10rd AK from sarco. the double-stack hi-cap AKs are perfectly legal in nj, and 5, 10 and blocked to 15 round magazines are available. You do not want a nonstandard AK :)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:17:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
..................oh and nutbad - make sure you DON'T get a single stack 10rd AK from sarco. the double-stack hi-cap AKs are perfectly legal in nj, and 5, 10 and blocked to 15 round magazines are available. You do not want a nonstandard AK :)

I used to get the single stacks for $100 cheaper than the doubles.  They sold like hot cakes and now can't be found, at least by me.  I guess one has to weigh the savings verses an extra 5 rounds when purchasing.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
The single stack AK can be modified, by you , with a dremel tool, to accept double stack mags. I think you may have to change out some parts to make it compliant however.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#14]
"We (Area 51 Tactical) had a great weekend at the show - just wish I wasn't so darn sick. Thank you to all the customers that stopped by :)"

Nice seeing you again. You turned out to be one of the few dealers to get any $$ from me this time.
Just hope you get some more sleep next time!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#15]
i have a buddy in NJ and he took a bunch of 30 round mags and cut them down with a band
saw i believe. then re-bent the edges like factory with simple tools. slid the floorplate
back on and had instant
15 round ak mags. and no question with blocked mag crap.
they looked great. it can be done with minimal skill and some time.

he sold his guns and gave them all away
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I saw ... 1 south african .308 battlepack, ....

Thats what I bought, and I went on sunday...late. The guy said he had more, but he had sold it allready. The rest of the ammo certainly was no bargain.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I can't believe that 1 battlepack sat around that long!  I actually thought about buying it, but since as I don't have anything that takes .308 I decided against it...I doubt the wife would go along quietly with me buying ammo for guns I don't even have yet .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top