Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 8:35:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:09:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/18/2005 9:16:04 AM EDT by JohnnyMcEldoo]

or

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
You'll have to look far and wide for someone who hates terrorists as much as I do, but I should point out that I could easily, with 3 google image searches and 5 minutes of Photoshop time, make a poster that shows Christians in an equally bad light.....and be just as wrong about the blanket condemnation.

The extremes of religion, the fundamentalist whackos, are the ones who fly planes into buildings, commit genocide, teach their followers to drink coolaid and burn "witches" at the stake. Every religion has nut jobs, and has normal people who live decent lives and don't stir hate.

If Islam has a real problem, its that the normal decent followers aren't more outraged that terrorists commit their acts on their behalf. There's where the problem really is....the Islamic world letting a few hateful idiots drag them all down.

But, then, historically we can find equal fault with most societies and religions....if we really want to.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:41:30 PM EDT
Good points all around, but...

read the Suras in the Koran yourself. They will blow you away. Literally! I mean it. Do it.

I have been reading the Bible and Talmund for 50+ years, and I have not read anywhere about suicide bombers. Altho something awfully similar was Moloch. A huge metal idol, which pagans would built a fire inside of. Then, the shamans would take the peoples' infant babies and throw them into the burning fire inside Moloch to appease their god. . Infanticide. Some say thats what the radical Muslims are doing--burning up their own children with "fire" by bombs and explosives.

Unless the "peaceable" Muslims here start turning in their own whack-cases, for their own good, I am afraid with the next major terrorist attack in America, people will start calling for Muslim internment, etc. (Hey, this happened to Japanes-Americans only 60 years ago when we lost 2,400 servicemen in Pearl Harbor.) The local Muslim community knows who these "bad eggs" are.

I stand behind Judiaism and Christianity. Sure they have had problems, but in the whole, name me hospitals, schools, colleges, Nobel prize winners, and each and every modern invention helping mankind, who have made an incredibly safe, peaceable, and free world.

Not so with Islam. Everywhere it goes, there is conflict and war. By the way, the ruse about America befreinding Israel, is their gripe. Baloney! What about the on-going Muslim slaughters in Sub-Saharan Africa (Darfur), the Phillipines, India, Micronesia--none of these brutal wars has anything to do with anybody's love or hatred of Israel. Think about it!

Knowledge is power.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:14:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ohio47Woodsman:
Good points all around, but...

read the Suras in the Koran yourself. They will blow you away. Literally! I mean it. Do it.

I have been reading the Bible and Talmund for 50+ years, and I have not read anywhere about suicide bombers. Altho something awfully similar was Moloch. A huge metal idol, which pagans would built a fire inside of. Then, the shamans would take the peoples' infant babies and throw them into the burning fire inside Moloch to appease their god. . Infanticide. Some say thats what the radical Muslims are doing--burning up their own children with "fire" by bombs and explosives.

Unless the "peaceable" Muslims here start turning in their own whack-cases, for their own good, I am afraid with the next major terrorist attack in America, people will start calling for Muslim internment, etc. (Hey, this happened to Japanes-Americans only 60 years ago when we lost 2,400 servicemen in Pearl Harbor.) The local Muslim community knows who these "bad eggs" are.

I stand behind Judiaism and Christianity. Sure they have had problems, but in the whole, name me hospitals, schools, colleges, Nobel prize winners, and each and every modern invention helping mankind, who have made an incredibly safe, peaceable, and free world.

Not so with Islam. Everywhere it goes, there is conflict and war. By the way, the ruse about America befreinding Israel, is their gripe. Baloney! What about the on-going Muslim slaughters in Sub-Saharan Africa (Darfur), the Phillipines, India, Micronesia--none of these brutal wars has anything to do with anybody's love or hatred of Israel. Think about it!

Knowledge is power.

The problem now, at our point in history, is that Islam is a convenient religion for power mongers....because it can easily be sold to poor, destitute people. If your religion espouses shedding material wealth and living simply and with feverous devotion, then it's an easy sell to a people whose daily lives are already void of comfort or stability.

In short, it's spreading because poor stupid people can be sold something which passes the buck, and if you teach Islam with an agenda (i.e., hating the rich West), then you really have a problem.

Islam, like all religions, can be bent into a tool of hatred.

I don't blame Islam for terrorism - that's short sighted. That's like blaming Shinto for Pearl Harbor. What has changed since 1915 when T.E. Lawrence warned us that the Arab tribes would always be a divisive cauldron? Only one thing has really changed - our reliance on them, and the world media who manipulates the situation. Place the blame squarely on that, because without the need or Arab oil, or the fueling of conflict by the press, there would be no Islamic problem in our laps. I firmly believe that.

Without the west enriching that region, the Islamic world would have stayed a splintered and inneffective region of the world...as it should have been. It's too late to change some of that, but god damn its about time we found a way to leave them to their own.....and let them deal with the shitty culture they've created.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:41:27 PM EDT
Yeah I’ll opine. Whoever manipulated/put together that series of photos probably meant well but they are part of the problem. You see they titled the work “Islam” and showed pictures of children with guns, evil black guns I may add, presumably Islamic children. Then they show of picture of the twin towers coming down, a powerful image with a strong emotional attachment.

Here is the problem the series of photos is designed to invoke hatred towards Islam not terrorist/individuals but a race. They use children and the tragic death of thousands of Americans to further their agenda of hate.

Like Swingset said Christians can be made to look the same way, the Old Testament is full of violence. Nearly all the white supremacy groups distort the bible to suit their cause, that does not make me a racist nor is my daughter a terrorist because I have a photo of her shooting a machine gun at 5 YOA.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/19/2005 1:14:52 PM EDT by Leisure_Shoot]

Originally Posted By 93:
Like Swingset said Christians can be made to look the same way, the Old Testament is full of violence. Nearly all the white supremacy groups distort the bible to suit their cause, that does not make me a racist nor is my daughter a terrorist because I have a photo of her shooting a machine gun at 5 YOA.

As touched on above... the white supremacy groups are summararily dismissed by Christians as wrong and unnacceptable.

For me, the question comes down to "Would the world be better off without Islam, or is it better with Islam?"

I'm not so sure I know the answer.

If you asked me that same question about Christianity, I know that the world most certainly is better with the current form of Chrisitanity.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:21:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Leisure_Shoot:

For me, the question comes down to "Would the world be better off without Islam, or is it better with Islam?"

Thats an excellent question.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:58:06 PM EDT
Leisure_Shoot You hit the nail on the head when you said the “current form of Christianity”. I can not answer your question about rather the world would be better off with out Islam. People who represent Islam are certainly responsible for more than their fair share of the world’s problems right now. But to say we are better off without them is a dangerous slippery slope history is full of people who have committed genocide to make the world a better place. As a matter of fact that is one of the major problems with the current state of Islam.

Proud infidel
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:16:59 AM EDT
93, that's a good point.
When is it genocide and when is it doing the right thing?
Obviously, there are some good Muslims.
I understand a blanket "kill 'em all" is wrong.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Top Top