Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 11:58:27 AM EDT
Was anyone out there when the Conservation guy showed up in regards to complaints about "automatic" weapons?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Duke, are you sure you never left the shop even if it was just to go eat BBQ?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:29:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Did the restaurant have a "no full auto" sign?

Eh. I wasn't able to be out that day. But I was related the story of how the guy insisted, again and again, that an AR pistol with an auto-burst on it was an automatic weapon, and if he heard of it being shot again, he'd make them put it away.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Complaints.... Ha!

I just bumpfire, but I stopped that due to my Ammo shortage.

It's funny how people wont complain about the unsafe people firing pistols in the woods (Duke you know what I'm talking about), but they may report Automatic Guns pointed in the right direction (yeah I know your not supposed to have them there, but whats the basis for that rule??)

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Complaints.... Ha!

It's funny how people wont complain about the unsafe people firing pistols in the woods (Duke you know what I'm talking about), but they may report Automatic Guns pointed in the right direction (yeah I know your not supposed to have them there, but whats the basis for that rule??)

Because it scares the old fart cowboy action goobers and the  "only for duck hunting" crowd.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Because it scares the old fart cowboy action goobers and the  "only for duck hunting" crowd.

Youre probably right. The last time I went some guys told me my SAR-1 was "illegal, I know because I work for the federal governtment"
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey now! I resemble that remark!

cowboy action goobers

But then I am a guy who fans my single actions and have been known to participate in fast draw.
Then again I do full auto dumps and so forth... I have bumbfired at times but I am not proud of it...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:02:42 AM EDT
[#10]
AFSOC with your AR collection you can't be considered a Cowboy Action Goober
I'm still waiting to see your Sharps thats a classic
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:10:15 AM EDT
[#11]
If I have time in the next couple days I'll load up some Sharps rounds and bring her to CMMG she will love their 600 yard range!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Complaints.... Ha!

It was a regualer old AR pistol, with an "auto burst" on the trigger guard. It's basically a spring that holds the finger agianst the trigger, making 30 round bumps an easy thing to do.

My issue is, that, if I were there, I would politely inform the "officer" that I was completely within the law AND the posted rules. And that I would be happy to "comply" with putting it away if asked nicely, but that I will not be ordered to put away a completely legal gun at a gun range.
I can understand the sheep being scared of the evil gun, but I will not be ordered to stop doing something legal, with a legal gun, by a supposed agent who knows gun laws.

Edit: So what I was originally getting at with this thread, is that I might, in the future, be in need of a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:54:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I was wondering about the legality of those attachments being since I'm new to the "Evil Weapon" world.

I think being polite is the key, but you can't reason with some people who are misinformed.

BoogerSnax I wish you well with you dealings on this matter.
And if I may ask... what does the Conservation Guy do when he shows up? Just ask around, or does he demand you surrender your firearm? I'm just curious as to where there authority stops at.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was wondering about the legality of those attachments being since I'm new to the "Evil Weapon" world.

I think being polite is the key, but you can't reason with some people who are misinformed.

BoogerSnax I wish you well with you dealings on this matter.
And if I may ask... what does the Conservation Guy do when he shows up? Just ask around, or does he demand you surrender your firearm? I'm just curious as to where there authority stops at.

I wasn't there, but my dad was. <I'm 40 and he's 65, so I'm not a "kid" posting this>
The guy walked right up to the table, told everyone to unload and put down their guns.
From there the accusations of "automatic weapons" were brought up. Even after explaining the        legality of an external device, the guy in question was informed over and over that he did, in fact, because of the attachement, have an automic weapon.
Uninformed thicknecks are no suprise to me. I'm originally a city boy, who ended up growing up in a town of 90 people in mid Mo., so I know my thicknecks.
But, my nut is being told by a Conservation guy what to do with my legal weapon. I will be happy to oblige a nice request, but you will not command me to put away my legal weapon.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
When we had the Conservation agent show up @ finger lakes in Columbia, he made sure the MODCC had its permits and then stated no F/A weapons.  I asked where it was posted (politely) and he said "there's no way we can post all of the rules".  Right.  He did make sure my paperwork was in order even though he admitted that he didn't know what he was looking for.  His exact words:  "tell me what I'm looking at so I'll know you're not lying."  

The conservation department has quite a bit of authority, but just like regular LE, they are not the enemy.  Being patient and explaining a situation calmly helps a bunch, but when someone is completely unimformed or just 'knows that you are wrong', it kind of makes for a difficult debate.  

I didn't get kicked out of the range, but I did put the machine guns up and played with semis from then on.  

I'm not saying that they're the "enemy". But I like to remind people that a couple dozen guys with that mindset, being put together and told to "round up all the guns in the county/town/city/etc." is what bothers me.

As an aside. I'm the guy who came by and looked at your lowers about 30 times at the Bannister show before Christmas.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:20:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I have time in the next couple days I'll load up some Sharps rounds and bring her to CMMG she will love their 600 yard range!

Crap, now I am REALLY going to have to make it to the shoot. I would love to see the Sharps doin' its thing!
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen this happen before.  Amazing how completely ignorant the Conservation guy was.  Told 7 of us that our 922r and AWB compliant AK's were machine guns, and illegal.  After explaining both the AWB, and 922r to him, he still told us we were wrong, and intended on confiscating the firearms.  I told him that unless he got an ATF agent there in person to back him up, that trying to take my legal guns was going to be a very bad thing for him (I was intending it in a litigatory sense, and he knew it, I wasn't threatening to shoot him).  He told us never to come back to that range (Pigeon Hill, and we go there constantly still), and drove off.  I got his liscence, called the Conservation Department, talked to a 'supervisor', and was apologized to.  Never seen that guy at Pigeon Hill since.  On the other hand, I was there once and a conservation guy showed up and made us stop shooting all the mannequins that I liberated from work, telling us that if the media showed up (yeah right) that we looked like a bunch of terrorists or milita nuts (he said it jokingly, we took it that way).  I then proceeded to offer him a mag out of the SAR1, which he loved.  He told us to be careful, and drove off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top