Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2014 2:15:30 PM EDT
I'v got a few things in my house that I need addressed and need a decent electrician in order to get them done.

First is, I need a ceiling fan receiver installed. I know what you're thinking, DIY, and I would. Unfortunately I don't have a ladder that can reach it (need a min of a 16' step ladder) and I can't justify the cost of buying one when that is the only thing would even need it for. I could rent one, but have no way to transport it.

Second, I'v got a rogue light switch in a room. I have absolutely no clue as to what its supposed to control, the room in question has no light fixture and hasn't since I moved in. I thought it might control a socket or something, but alas it does not. I need to figure out what its supposed to control and have a fixture installed in the room.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
15 yr commercial Sparky here...   Resd. too. With references

I don't have a 16 ft ladder though    MIGHT be able to sweet talk boss to borrow one at work.

The troubleshooting switch SHOULDN'T be too much of an issue. TYPICALLY, if there is no
fixture, it controls an outlet.

If you need a fixture installed, which means I get my behind in your attic to cut in a box and get a hot/switch to it
my prices go up a bit    I usually charge a 6 pack per 5 deg. over 70 also  

IM me

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:22:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Where are you located?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't have a 16 ft ladder though    MIGHT be able to sweet talk boss to borrow one at work.

The troubleshooting switch SHOULDN'T be too much of an issue. TYPICALLY, if there is no

If you need a fixture installed, which means I get my behind in your attic to cut in a box and get a hot/switch to it

IM me

View Quote

I need a couple days worth of work out at my range so we can have another HTF shoot.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there a fire place in the room? Might control the gas logs?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you try any outlets in the next room / hallway?

I've worked on a house in Atl that had switches that led to cut wires in the crawl space.  Yikes!  Be very careful if you find the cut end of a wire - it may be hot.  I'm sure the pro's have enough horror stories to write a book about this!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn, lots of responses

Quoted:
Is switch single or is there more than one in the same panel?

Is there a ceiling fan or ceiling light in the room?

What kind of room is the switch in?

View Quote

Single switch
No fan or light on the ceiling
Its like a "formal" living room.

Quoted:

IM me
View Quote

It might be more complicated, its on the 1st floor of a 2 story home. Has a room above it.

Quoted:
Where are you located?
View Quote

NE GA, Braselton/Hoschton area

Quoted:
View Quote

Fireplace in the home, but not in this room

Quoted:
I hadn't thought about that.

I think it's an exterior light with a blown bulb maybe.
View Quote

Only exterior light on this side of the house works, also would be a strange place for an exterior switch

I have not checked the outlets closest to the room, I'm going to do that now. Nope, doesn't work on those either

On a side note, I pulled the switch cover off and it is wired.

Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:07:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have not checked the outlets closest to the room, I'm going to do that now.[/span] Nope, doesn't work on those either

On a side note, I pulled the switch cover off and it is wired.

View Quote

Start looking for the trap door.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That crossed my mind as well!

This thread might be going places.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Start looking for the trap door.

That crossed my mind as well!

This thread might be going places.

in!
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Got wire coming in from the bottom, appears to goto the switch then up out of the box. I'll put a DVOM to it tomorrow and see if it has any juice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:37:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Check every single outlet, top and bottom, in the room for a switches outlet
Sometimes only the top or bottom outlet will be switched on one wall
I have a new little giant 17' skyscraper ladder you can borrow if you want to drive to canton
I bought it just for tall ceilings
It collapses down to less than 10'

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You supply 9mm ammo, beer and some meat to grill I will re-wire the whole place  

I need a couple days worth of work out at my range so we can have another HTF shoot.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IM me

You supply 9mm ammo, beer and some meat to grill I will re-wire the whole place  

Link Posted: 5/29/2014 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Did you check EVERY plug in all receptacles?  You can wire a switch to control just the top or bottom and have the other run constant.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Hook the neutral to the antenna of an an radio. Crank the dial to the highest frequency it will go. Take a TV remote (stud finders work the best if you have one) and point it to the wall. Push a button. You can hear it over the radio. You can trace the wires through the wall by pushing the remote button and listen to the interference on the radio.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hook the neutral to the antenna of an an radio. Crank the dial to the highest frequency it will go. Take a TV remote (stud finders work the best if you have one) and point it to the wall. Push a button. You can hear it over the radio. You can trace the wires through the wall by pushing the remote button and listen to the interference on the radio.
View Quote

never heard that one before
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Got wire coming in from the bottom, appears to goto the switch then up out of the box. I'll put a DVOM to it tomorrow and see if it has any juice.
View Quote

how many conductors are there in each wire? Any red color conductors?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was about to ask the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Is there a hole that is covered up in the ceiling? if so, the switch controls that, where you add a fan or ceiling light in the future.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Each wire has 3 conductors in it. a red, black and a copper wire. I'v Got a red, black and copper wire going to the switch. Also have 120v at the switch.

Also, has two wires with 3 conductors each going out of the top of the switch box.

Ceiling does not appear to have had hole covered where a light used to be. Checked all the plugs; no dice.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Each wire has 3 conductors in it. a red, black and a copper wire. I'v Got a red, black and copper wire going to the switch. Also have 120v at the switch.

Also, has two wires with 3 conductors each going out of the top of the switch box.
Ceiling does not appear to have had hole covered where a light used to be. Checked all the plugs; no dice.
View Quote
Sounds like a three way switch that has gone bad.

Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Try testing the continuity across the switch.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:45:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Try testing the continuity across the switch.
View Quote

I will when I get home today.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Witchcraft

don't mess wif it

clown
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Witchcraft

don't mess wif it

clown
View Quote
Come on man! It ain't witchcraft, it's FM!!!

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:36:08 AM EDT
[#29]
comm. ind elec 4 over 25 yrs.

i know witchcraft

clown
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:33:46 PM EDT
[#31]
op is alive!
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#32]
ooppss
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#33]
I am indeed alive, and am still no closer to getting them fixed as I was when I started

I'v been rather busy, and just haven't had the time to research and hire someone to come out. I'v also got to get someone out to quote a covered deck and a roof over my front porch, just been super busy.

EDIT; this is a picture I snapped of it a few days ago.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:21:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Found another problem, I'v got 2 light switches in my dining room. They both control the light, but when one is turned on the other switch won't turn it off. If i turn the one off, the other will turn it on.

On a side note, I can't believe how hard it is to find someone who is willing to come out and look at these small problems. I'm guessing construction is picking back up so they have more work now
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#35]
The common wire on your three wrote switch is of.

Someone probably replaced a switch at some point and they didn't put the writes back.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Someone probably replaced a switch at some point and they didn't put the writes back.
View Quote

How can I tell a 3 way from a regular? I guess I can go pull them both and look to see if one is different.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:38:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Problem solved. I went and pulled both switches, found 1 had a wire that wasn't attached (maybe came out when the painted the room?). Attached it to the switch and its all working, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:44:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#40]
If I could figure out the mystery switch I would

Wife's co-worker gave her a number for a place in Athens, I guess I'll call them tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 3:25:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How can I tell a 3 way from a regular? I guess I can go pull them both and look to see if one is different.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 wire has a red wire in addition to the black, white, and grounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top