Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:03:34 PM EDT
I start on Fed 27, any suggestions or advice?  I will be working at Warren Correctional Institution.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
might want to check the LEO forum, I know a few corrections guys are over there.

Congrads on the job though!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
remember there inmates. they are not your friends. once they get something on you. they got you. no slack. dont trust them. dont turn your back on one. they get points with the others for hurting corrections officers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Remember, there lots of ways of hurting bad people that don't leave evidence.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Best advice I can give you based on movies n'such Ive seen through the years is grow a beard and get some tattoos...dont go overboard though but maybe a death reaper holding a sithe in one hand and a beer in the other with flames n'shit coming out of his eyes and a #3 on his robe.

Then when you get in find the biggest meanest mutha in there and hit him in the monkey dingles with your tazer. Make sure hes stunned out for awhile. Then pull down his pants and tie his shoe strings together and leave. Then get a rumor going round that he looked at you funny so you had your way with him and when you see him again be sure to wink

May or may not work out for the best but it will make for good conversation with your fellow gaurds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#5]
That made my face hurt.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:13:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The prison I will be at has alot of the older inmates and mental cases.  It should be interesting, I'm use to crazy people anyway.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The prison I will be at has alot of the older inmates and mental cases.  It should be interesting, I'm use to crazy people anyway.

Yeah, like Brian.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Brian is normal, the rest of us are crazy.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:07:43 AM EDT
[#10]
warren correctional has the only protective custody unit in the state of ohio if i recall correctly. you have all of the child molestors in there, you have all of the snitches in there, and you have the "political type prisoners in there.

just watch your back..........

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I used to be one.  Stay by the book and no favors or friendships with inmates.  Little things that mean nothing to us are a big deal to inmates an extra couple minutes on a visit or an extra cookie at diner is a big deal.  You will find that they are largely a whiney bunch of drama queens.

Treat your porters/trusties decent they can be a wealth of info and will work their ass off for a sandwich.  

You have to find a balance between treating them with respect and being an ass.  I considered them cattle and that worked pretty well for me.  Some will try to taunt you, keep in mind they are trash and don’t give them any power over you by letting them get under your skin.

You go home at the end of your shift, don’t let yourself get caught up in their problems because it WILL end up causing you real problems in the end.  Keep it by the book, no exceptions and you will do fine.  

Trust NO inmate and watch you and your partner’s six.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Good points on not trusting them, and not turning your back on them.  Those are very basic, very important.  Don't go in acting like robocop on steroids, but don't be a pushover either.  You can act like a human being, but you need to be firm, they'll be trying to get you to do all kinds of stuff for them.  If it's something you can do, and you tell them you'll do it, make sure you'll do it.  If it's something you can't do, tell them you're not going to do it, and don't do it.

They'll try their best to insult you.  Remember it's not personal, they'll say the same thing to any other CO there.  Don't let it bother you, just let it roll of your back.  In time you'll learn to laugh at the stuff they come up with.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
I was a juvenile corrections officer. People here have already mentioned what I was going to say. Where i worked, we had some pretty violent offenders, even 12 year old kids come through for GSI.

Be careful, criminals are some of the most manipulative people you'd ever meet. i learned this quickly. never second guess yourself, they pick up on that shit.  Even if you know you fucked up, dont let them know it. Just be confident, and never let them believe they one upped you. Since I worked with juveniles, i had to be really careful about what i did/said. if all else fails, just remind them you get off after 8 hours and they're stuck there for god knows how long. i did that a lot, but probably shouldnt have. Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm use to dealing with idiots and I don't take stuff to heart.  I think this is just going to be a temporary job just to get some experience so I can become a leo.  I have plenty of time to change my mind if I don't like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Good points on not trusting them, and not turning your back on them.  Those are very basic, very important.  Don't go in acting like robocop on steroids, but don't be a pushover either.  You can act like a human being, but you need to be firm, they'll be trying to get you to do all kinds of stuff for them.  If it's something you can do, and you tell them you'll do it, make sure you'll do it.  If it's something you can't do, tell them you're not going to do it, and don't do it.

They'll try their best to insult you.  Remember it's not personal, they'll say the same thing to any other CO there.  Don't let it bother you, just let it roll of your back.  In time you'll learn to laugh at the stuff they come up with.

Are we still talking about prisoners here or are we talkin about women now?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not hardly, I am a woman.  Though I can go into another whole speech about being a woman working with mostly male inmate population.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not hardly, I am a woman.  Though I can go into another whole speech about being a woman working with mostly male inmate population.

I bet you could!  lol                                
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#19]
One of the cool things about the job is that the have a special operations team the prisons swat team.  I am going to try out for that after I get my feet wet.  They have all kinds of fun toys, and a kick ass killhouse for training.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top