Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/17/2018 11:07:23 PM EDT
What is to be expected? I’ve been on a float trip years ago, I believe it was Bennet Springs, niangua river. Was very shallow at several points. I remember having to get out and drag the canoe in shallow spots.

How is Jack Fork?
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 2:38:46 PM EDT
The Jacks Fork and Current rivers are down there. Ive been a few times but would always call ahead to one of the shops that rents canoes for water conditions. There are a lot of options in terms of put in / take out points. One day trips up to like five or six days. Take a good camera..... lots to look at.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 3:32:01 AM EDT
I floated Jack's Fork from Eminence to the Current River last month. Good times were had.

Most float trips involve some dragging.

Since it sounds like you're inexperienced...

Tip #1: Almost all float trips involve a bus ride. It's better to use an outfitter that buses you up to the drop in point in the morning so you can float back to camp/parking than it is to use an outfitter that puts you on a bus as soon as you get off the river. The first option is usually pleasant. The latter option typically involves drunkenness, drama, and bad smells.

Tip #2: Most floats give you a choice of a raft, canoe, or kayak. The raft is the most comfortable and stable option, but they can be damn slow sometimes being stopped by a light breeze. If you don't have a current, a raft will require significant work just to keep moving. Canoes are generally much faster, but they are much more likely to flip, and they are fairly uncomfortable if you don't bring a seat. Canoes can be tied together for stability. If you're using canoes, either keep your coolers in two tied together, or bring coolers that latch and keep them shut at all times. Kayaks are the fastest, most maneuverable things on the river, but they can't carry much, and your ability to eat, drink, or do anything while floating is limited.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 11:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/20/2018 11:18:14 PM EDT by jrinfoley]
I have floated the Jacks Fork many times. The float from Buck Hollow to Alley Springs is really nice and within the Ozark National Scenic Riverways with nice scenery but can be low unless there has been recent rain. If its running a bit high it can be sporty! If you like fishing it is really good for smallmouth bass and panfish. The float from Alley Spring to Two Rivers is okay but on the lower stretch you will pass lots of private property and old river cabins.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 7:19:25 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
I floated Jack's Fork from Eminence to the Current River last month. Good times were had.

Most float trips involve some dragging.

Since it sounds like you're inexperienced...

Tip #1: Almost all float trips involve a bus ride. It's better to use an outfitter that buses you up to the drop in point in the morning so you can float back to camp/parking than it is to use an outfitter that puts you on a bus as soon as you get off the river. The first option is usually pleasant. The latter option typically involves drunkenness, drama, and bad smells.

Tip #2: Most floats give you a choice of a raft, canoe, or kayak. The raft is the most comfortable and stable option, but they can be damn slow sometimes being stopped by a light breeze. If you don't have a current, a raft will require significant work just to keep moving. Canoes are generally much faster, but they are much more likely to flip, and they are fairly uncomfortable if you don't bring a seat. Canoes can be tied together for stability. If you're using canoes, either keep your coolers in two tied together, or bring coolers that latch and keep them shut at all times. Kayaks are the fastest, most maneuverable things on the river, but they can't carry much, and your ability to eat, drink, or do anything while floating is limited.
View Quote
The drunk drama is a real thing. I won't float anywhere where you have to bus back. To much fighting, not enough titties.
Top Top