Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 9:10:20 AM EDT
I'm tired of getting raped by comcast, thinking about switching to Clear. They have a TV and internet bundle for around $70 a month for two years, instead of the $130 I'm paying comcast.
Anybody have any experience with it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
We dumped Comwhores and got Clear for internet and Directv for TV.

Clear is fine.......only max out at a 3.6mb connection though so if you want speed you are out of luck. Besides that though it is great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
We dumped Comwhores and got Clear for internet and Directv for TV.

Clear is fine.......only max out at a 3.6mb connection though so if you want speed you are out of luck. Besides that though it is great.

I don't do gaming or anything, just forums and email and some hulu so I guess I'm GTG on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, we run 4 computers and a PS3 off of our network and we don't experience any problems at all. For the price and the convienience Clear is pretty good. Plus we are month to month with no kind of contract.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Can you skype with Clear(wire)?  Ironically, the wife and I were just talking about making changes.  I called comcast about 2 weeks ago and tried to play the "lower out bill or we're done with your shit" and they fuckers wanted to play hardball with me.  My in-laws have Direct TV, pay less, and get a lot more channels.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Can you skype with Clear(wire)?  Ironically, the wife and I were just talking about making changes.  I called comcast about 2 weeks ago and tried to play the "lower out bill or we're done with your shit" and they fuckers wanted to play hardball with me.  My in-laws have Direct TV, pay less, and get a lot more channels.

Funny, I was just about to call comcast and tell them the exact same thing. Looks like clear will be getting my business probably. I'll call 'em anyways to see whats up.
The only issue I forsee is getting a dish on my apt. building.........I know if I ask my landlord if it's OK she'll say no, so I just won't say anything......
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]
we are a reseller of it, it works okay in most places,
ymmv
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ymmv

Care to elaborate
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Skype is a yes....video is a yes.....Skype or video while someone else is using the connection is a yes.........

Biggest thing is to make sure your area has superb coverage with them and not on the fringe..........
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Alot of the on demand shit with Directv is downloaded from the net and with the Clear we have no problem at all.......
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Same story here.  Comcast was fast, but got sick of being raped by the bill.  Went with clear mobile.  Got the 4G Wimax modem.  I live in Federal Way, and have had no problems.  I know they had some bad press when they were known as Clearwire, but our service has been good.  Not the fastest, but certainly fast enough for saving $15 a month against comcast.  I believe you get a week to test it in your home with no obligation to make sure it works.  Bye bye comcast!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ymmv

Care to elaborate

what would you like to know?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ymmv

Care to elaborate

I'm reading a few not so favorable comments about their customer service, and how well it works.
I just called them, and I asked about their cable+internet bundle, and the guy cranked up some high preasure sales pitch bullshit on me, almost to the point he sounded whiney/emotional/butthurt if I didn't sign up today, and I ended up hanging up on him.
I can buy it through a retailer I take it? Like in the mall or something?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Do it online.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
We walked into Alderwood mall at a kiosk and got it right there....including modem.

No pressure sale. Told em what we wanted and pointed at the modem and had it fired up same day
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
My experience with clear is this:

Customers service is not the greatest, but so is everyone else.  

Your coverage is based on where your house/apt is compared to their towers.  Currently my work uses it for 17 properties around Snohomish County from MtLK Terrace to North Everett and out to Lake Stevens and Monroe.  Every single property we were forced to place the modems on window sills in order to obtain connection.  We have one property behind Lynnwood Fred Meyers and are not able to receive a signal anywhere around the building while the property next door does get service.  So YMMV

If your are forced to sign up for a two year contract you can only get out of it once you prove with thier service tech that you can not receive a signal and I btlieve that has to be done with 14 - 30 days from when you start using it.

ETA - We pay $30 per location per month.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Not available at my location.............dammit...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:41:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
...I asked about their cable+internet bundle....

Clear offers TV service?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clear offers TV service?

http://www.cleartvbundle.com/
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Clear offers TV service?

http://www.cleartvbundle.com/

That's what we got and we are paying half of what we were paying with Comwhores.............getting used to the speed difference has been the biggest thing..........only can get the Directv part if you have clear sky to th SE though.....oh, the Directv HD is better than the Comcast..........big difference actually! We had been using only a portion of our TV's HD capabilitry......
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not available at my location...

this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
ymmv

Care to elaborate

I'm reading a few not so favorable comments about their customer service, and how well it works.
I just called them, and I asked about their cable+internet bundle, and the guy cranked up some high preasure sales pitch bullshit on me, almost to the point he sounded whiney/emotional/butthurt if I didn't sign up today, and I ended up hanging up on him.
I can buy it through a retailer I take it? Like in the mall or something?

their customer service is kinda shitty, dealing with them is not so fun,
as far as the service though, as long as you have a good signal in your area it works pretty well,
yes you should be able to buy it from a retailer, they just ship you the usb key and registration info
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Does clear requires a land line?

I have had Covad for quite some time, I love it, fast, great customer service, down side is it requires me to have a land line.

24.95 a month and faster than Cumcast.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:32:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have had Covad for quite some time, I love it, fast, great customer service, down side is it requires me to have a land line.

No line required. wireless 4g
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No line required. wireless 4g

correct
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#25]
This has my interest....
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:01:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it Clear on page 2?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:00:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This has my interest....

FWIW I am NOT a clear sales person!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:47:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I might be picking this up when I move, is comcast the new HK?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I might be picking this up when I move, is comcast the new HK?

You men like overpriced and pretty much a glock?
( H&K MARK23 owner here)
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#30]
There are some good deals on QWest and Direct TV bundles now. Puget Sound Area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top