Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 9:24:46 AM EDT
I'm looking for a range that I can go shoot my AR, AK, etc.  Is this place friendly to evil black guns?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#1]
its a ok range,...
when i was there, they even allowed .50 bmg. dont hold me to that now, i have not been there in 2 or 3 years.
evil black guns are welcome, however they tell you to not shoot faster than 1 round every 3 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:58:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Been there, done that, didn't renew the membership.

I'd rate that place Black-Powder-Speed.
If you like to get out one gun and one box of ammo, and then fuck around tinkering with bullshit for eight or ten minutes between shots ..... you'll be member-of-the-month over there in no time.

Ever meet a hunter-type that shoots 3 rounds a year and complains that arfcommers are THE PROBLEM because we keep riling Sarah Brady with those guns that no one really needs?
.... because if you haven't ..... then you can go hang out at Saukville to see what they look like.
If you like the idea of belonging to a sportsman's club, but don't really shoot, or you're a clay-busting wonder boy with a $3000 blued steel and walnut over under 410, then Saukville is the place for you.

The nicest thing I can say is:
"My aspirations as a shooter and that facility's management were entirely incompatible."

You will never train at Saukville.
Guaranteed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:07:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
its a ok range,...
when i was there, they even allowed .50 bmg. dont hold me to that now, i have not been there in 2 or 3 years.
evil black guns are welcome, however they tell you to not shoot faster than 1 round every 3 seconds.

If my black gun has green furniture is it still evil?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:03:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I was member there for 2 years. After the first year I had to call them to have them sent me my renewal. After the second year they again never sent me a renewal card. I never called them since. If they don't care enough to send me a renewal, they obviously don't care about me as a member.

As for the facility, it is ok. Open rifle range out to 100yards with boards at 50 and 25. They do like slow fire. I have never encountered the 3 second rule. But I have been confronted by a couple of the older members that act like they own the place and tell me to slow down.  I have never had anyone challenge me about black rifles. When I was a member I shot my AR quite a bit, nobody ever said anything to me.

There are much better places to spend your money and get more services.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#5]
What places do you recommend?  I live in Grafton and prefer to not have to drive an hour to go shooting.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Saukville isn't necessarily terrible.
If it's close, convenient, and joining will equate to more trigger-time than you would get otherwise, then it's probably worth the $65 for you.

It's definitely better than the nothing option.

I just wanted you to recognize, going in, that your activities will be limited there.

No double tapping.
No holster work.
No transition drills.
No moving while shooting.
No shooting silhouettes.
No .................

The general flavor was, "We only do things that Sarah Brady would approve of."
They want you to sit at the bench and shoot; one round and wait a while.
If you stand and shoot unsupported, they'll grimace at you, but permit it.
Try to go prone from the line, and it's a coin toss on whether or not someone will object and make an issue over it.
I put on a Chi-Com bandoleer full of loaded SKS stripper clips so I could shake down the gear, and they acted like Timothy McVeigh just showed up. I've never seen such a cackling-sewing-circle full of men; pointing and whispering like school girls.

Again, shooting at Saukville is infinitely better than not shooting; just know what you're getting into.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In my black gun has green furniture is it still evil?

If it's some exotic green wood you'll probably be OK...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it's close, convenient, and joining will equate to more trigger-time than you would get otherwise, then it's probably worth the $65 for you.

I just wanted you to recognize, going in, that your activities will be limited there.

No double tapping.
No holster work.
No transition drills.
No shooting silhouettes.
No .................

Try to go prone from the line, and it's a coin toss on whether or not someone will object and make an issue over it.
I put on a Chi-Com bandoleer full of loaded SKS stripper clips so I could shake down the gear, and they acted like Timothy McVeigh just showed up. I've never seen such a cackling-sewing-circle full of men; pointing and whispering like school girls.

Again, shooting at Saukville is infinitely better than not shooting; just know what you're getting into.

LOL!!!!!! TOo good!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
So what place around the Milwaukee area will let me shoot the right way?  I don't want to go to a place that won't let me even wear my holster!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

No double tapping.
No holster work.
No transition drills.
No shooting silhouettes.
No .................

TJ do you know any thing about Daniel Boone I was there once but don't remember where it was.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#11]
We drove out to Daniel Boone once when I was shopping for a range.
They have a 200 yard range, and a full-time on site manager.
When you go to change targets, or down range for any reason, you have to flip a switch that starts an alarm bell ringing and a light flashing.
It was REALLY loud and obnoxious.
I don't know how the people that lived on site could deal with it.

Going down range without firing up the circus would get you kicked out.

If you made a special appointment, someone would take you to a back-40 type of section to let you sight in a gun at 300 yards.
No regular shooting at that distance.
This was for folks that were getting ready to go hunting out west or whatnot, and needed a 300yd zero.

They did have an AR league there, and the folks were shooting standing unsupported.
I don't remember all the rules, so I can't say if they had a restriction on the rate of fire.

They tried to impress upon us that Daniel Boone was more than just a range.
They had a neat 3-D archery course, a big stocked pond to fish/canoe in, and a camping section that was strongly affiliated with the local Scout Troop.

I forget what the fees were like, but it wasn't cheap.

Plus, I wasn't looking for a membership at the state park, I wanted a range with lots of shooting facility.
RCLRC was closer to Milwaukee and better equiped.
Plus the tone of things is,
"If no one gets hurt, no property is damaged, and you clean up your mess .... knock yourself out."

Originally, I was going to recommend RCLRC, but it's a healthy-hour's drive from Grafton, and he said that wasn't in the cards for him.

Daniel Boone's Web Page
From Grafton to Daniel Boone's is about a 45 minute  ride.

If it's 15 minutes one way or the other, it's probably worth checking out both places.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, I grew up in Grafton and was a member there. Yes, you cannot shoot anything "rapid fire" or people will say something, even your .22. 100 yards is kind of limited as well and the facilities in general are not that great.  However I do not know of any other ranges nearby, but I think there is one in the Fredonia area.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]
What is RCLRC?  If there isn't anything good in my area then I will have to expand my search radius.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Racine County Line Rifle Club.
There's a big clique of arfcommers that are members there.
It's about fifteen minutes east of 94 and 7-mile road, in Racine obviously.

It's a private range, you have to be sponsored by an existing member to be eligible to join.
First year sign up costs about $200.
Plus, you are obligated to perform 100 work hours around the facility at a minimum of 33.3 hours per year for the first three years.
The renewal rate goes way down.
I dunno what it is off the top of my head.

Members get a key to the facility and can come and go at any hour.

There's a 25 meter "PIT" sort of area where we get to do the fun stuff; like holster work.
Then there's a 100 yard pistol range, a 500 yard military range, a 600 yard high power range, a 30 yard archery range, and a couple trap/skeet fields.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
What is "facility work?  

I basically want to be able to go shoot my firearms the way they are meant to be shot.  I'm not sure about the whole sponsorship thing.  I mean, Racine is far enough away that I wouldn't be able to go everyday.  Besides, being a pledge is for fraternities.

I would be willing to pay the membership fees, but for that amount I would expect that the facility could afford a staff that could take care of it.  

I suppose that if this is the only place I can go, then I will have to do what is necessary, but does anybody else know of any other real shooting ranges?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
You could join my club in sussex wi.The menomonee Falls rod and gun club.Dues are $50 yr,5 work hrs.We have trap,rifle 200yd,100yd,50,25 yd ranges.If you go to our next meeting(2-20 7:30pm) and sign up,you will get in next Feb.You get the key to the gate and can shoot when you like as long as there are no shooting events going on.Let me know if you want in.Club is located just N of good hope rd and on townline rd.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Work hours can be anything from picking up trash, to trimming weeds, to building/repairing target stands, to pulling targets during the annual rifle sight-in before deer season.

Sponsorship is not like pledging a fraternity.
It's a member vouching that you're a good guy that won't be a fuck up around the club.
Basically, if you show up to a couple of our events so we can meet you, and you're an agreeable fellow who is safe and likes guns, then someone will sponsor you.

Two things were big draw to RCLRC for me.
First was that the club's management is reasonable and wants you to both have a good time and develop as a shooter.
So long as we're safe, hospitible to others, and aren't destroying property we get to do our thing.
Because it's such an agreeable situation, everyone is cautious not to fuck it up and things roll along very well.

Second was that a crap load of RCLRC members had taken training classes together, so when you're practicing what you learnt, you have classmates around to spot your weaknesses, throw rocks at you, whatever .....

Putting in work hours, plus the semi-expensive sign up rate is definitely a lot of committment for someone that doesn't live close.
For me the decision was easy after paying for training.
"If I don't practice this stuff the way it was taught, then training was near a waste."

I just couldn't let that happen.

Club or no club, you should make it to an event or two, meet the hometown folks, and see if what we do is for you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:34:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Sounds good throttle-junkie.  I think I'm going to have to stop by and check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top