Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2004 10:51:59 AM EDT
Does any body have a P7M8 or  a P7M13
I am recently purchased HK USP .45 for home defense. but it's  too large of a weapon to carry concealed on my frame (5’7” and 145lbs) .
I have read lots of good things about the P7, accuracy, light weight and concealable.
On the downside they are pricey and prone to get hot.
Any body care to comment on the P7?

Are there are any other weapons you recommend for CCW?

Thanks

The Bald Monk
http://wayofthebaldmonk.net/2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a P7 but I have handled a few and I can comment on the fit and finish on them are usually pretty excelent.  Part of the reason for their reliability is due to the fact that the barrel is pinned to the frame, unlike most handguns where the barrel floats in the slide.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 2:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I do not own either one but have heard good things about quality and accuracy.
I have also heard just as much about the heat issue.
Take a look at the Sig 225 and the Khar T-9.
Both are very easy to conceal, accurate as Hell, and in my experience totally reliable.
Let me know if you are going to the FOP shoot on the 23rd and I will bring mine if you want some trigger time.

ARH
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Let me know if you are going to the FOP shoot on the 23rd and I will bring mine if you want some trigger time.

ARH
h
Thanks for the offer though.

The reason heat is concern to me, is that I plan on taking some pistol shooting classes. The courses will have me shooting a lot of rounds down range.  

Many of the classes recommend having back up weapon or if one shoots two weapons to bring both. Since I plan on using the .45 for home defense and some thing smaller for CCW, I had planned to take both weapons.  

I wonder if I should just go with the USP .45 Compact and forget about the P7. I like the safety and accuracy (reported accuracy) found with the P7.

Thanks for the feedback

The Bald Monk
http://wayofthebaldmonk.net/2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:01:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea I got one it seems decent so far nice carry gun.   What area are you in Im in Augusta here and should be up around the Atlanta area in a few weeks, if you want to meet up at a range I'll let you shoot mine and try it out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
P7's are great guns, accurate, dependable and easy to carry. I have owned and shot one for many years. Used it for IDPA competetion most of the time. It will get hot if you put over 8-9 mags through it quickly. I would wear nomex flight gloves during  classes. If you plan to use it for CCW get a holster that has a forward cant. The pistol is a little butt heavy loaded and the forward position helps it ride better. Blade-tech makes a kydex holster for the P7 and I am sure there are others. Once the gun is paid for there are few downsides. The USP is a good gun, but is very thick, it nevere carried as well or felt as good as the P7. YMMV.
Scott
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My Springfield XD-9 subcompact has been working out ok.  Easy to carry and conceal.

Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Guys

I got the P7M8
Thanks for all the information.
http://wayofthebaldmonk.net/hk/p7m8.jpg
It's a German Police refurb and has a mill mark Hard
1. Who does the best Hard Chrome?
2. What type of Hard Chrome looks best (brushed or flat)?
3. Would reblueing it cover up the mill mark?

Your opinions are appreciated.

The Bald Monk
http://thebaldmonk.net/2.jpg
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:53:53 AM EDT
[#9]
www.billyhill.com/metaloy/
trippresearch.com/

These guys are the most reliable I'm aware of.  IMO, I say satin hard chrome is the way to go.  The gun is bead-blasted prior to refinishing, and that texture results in a satin chrome finish.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#10]
If you get it redone be sure to post pictures
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top