Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 11:26:14 AM EDT
The other day I saw a guy walking down the steet open carrying. I knew it was legal in OH but that was the first time I had ever seen anyone do it.

Who here has done it and did you get any heat from law enforcement?

I know it gives up a tactical advantage but it would be nice to watch the libtards sake in there boots...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The other day I saw a guy walking down the steet open carrying. I knew it was legal in OH but that was the first time I had ever seen anyone do it.

Who here has done it and did you get any heat from law enforcement?

I know it gives up a tactical advantage but it would be nice to watch the libtards sake in there boots...

I open carry when I work in the ghettos......I bought a nice Jeep, have lots of tools, and sometimes I'm there after dark.......The few Cleveland Police who have seen me, have not given me any shit. It's legal to carry anyway you wish on private property, which is usually where I am.......
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#2]
In another month or so I'll fire up the motorcycle. This year I'm seriously considering open carry, damn tired of peoples' bullshit.

Ruger Super Blackhawk w/cartridge loop belt should get the job done.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to carry my P99 in a Blackhawk Omega Assault drop holster when I'd ride my CBR929RR to the range, but never really saw peoples expressions as I was passing them most of the time.

I did have cops go by me, like waiting at a light, and never give me issues though they saw it. The way I understand it is unless someone complains they have nothing to bug you about.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes and yes. As in yess I've open carried and yes I have been stopped by the police for doing so. Though I started doing it right after the supreme court decision before any of the walks that took place before CC. I was stopped twice by the local poice the first time drew 3 cars and took about 10 minutes too clear up. The second was because I was carrying my AR. Yes I did it to draw attention. Again  it was cleard up quicly and off I went walking. I have done it ALOT since then and don't get a second glance anymore.

Totally legal and not a problem in most areas. Some localities do have rules though so just be aware of them.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there any diffence in places you can CCW and open carry? In other words are the places you can carry legally the same with both?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes. I open carry on the bike. People become So much more polite in traffic. I put the turn signal on and you can almost here the screeching tires behind me. The post above is a good question, but I do not know the answer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In another month or so I'll fire up the motorcycle. This year I'm seriously considering open carry, damn tired of peoples' bullshit.

Oh SNAP!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh SNAP!!!

twoday.net/static/txt/images/falling_down.jpg

www.reallivepreacher.com/images/shining.jpg

www.davidacampbell.com/images/photos/single/milton_strokes.jpg

www.bergen-filmklubb.no/images/Arizona_Jr_stort.jpg

Just couldn't resist could you?

The first place I'm going to ride to is your house.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I live on OSU's campus.  Where most of the ANTI-spewage bullshit is posted.

But the same as above, if im pumping gas and im not on school property, I dont inconveinance (sp) myself and put my jacket on.

Especially around the parking lot of my apartment complex, doing laundry and such, I have scared the SHIT out of some foreigners, not on purpose though. it is funny to see their reaction when they see a firearm on the hip..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:24:33 PM EDT
[#11]
There are someplaces that you can legally open carry that you cannot concealed carry.

Public buildings are one of them.

The only places you cannot open carry are car(unless CCW permit), places that serve alcohol (not sell it, they have to serve it), schools safety zones (shool building, property, and busses plus special sanctioned functions), detention facilities, federally protected places (ie federal buildings), and any building that has a court room in it.

So yes you can carry in many public places openly that concealed is illegal. Like rest stops, comunity centers, bathrooms and buildings in state and local parks.

There are also no state restrictions on the type of firearm being openly carried. So NFA weapons might have federal restrictions but everything else is good to go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:28:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There are someplaces that you can legally open carry that you cannot concealed carry.

The only places you cannot open carry are car(unless CCW permit), places that serve alcohol (not sell it, they have to serve it), schools safety zones (shool building, property, and busses plus special sanctioned functions), detention facilities, federally protected places (ie federal buildings), and any building that has a court room in it.

So yes you can carry in many public places openly that concealed is illegal. Like rest stops, comunity centers, bathrooms and buildings in state and local parks.

There are also no state restrictions on the type of firearm being openly carried. So NFA weapons might have federal restrictions but everything else is good to go.

Is it legal to open carry in all private businesses that arent otherwise posted?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you allowed to open carry if you have a CCW license?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Are you allowed to open carry if you have a CCW license?

yes
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#15]
You should see the faces of my neighboors when I take out the trash with my g34/g33 in my thigh holster or a shoulder rig.  Contrary to popular believe (some)college students are not that bright, especially here at OSU.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You should see the faces of my neighboors when I take out the trash with my g34/g33 in my thigh holster or a shoulder rig.  Contrary to popular believe (some)college students are not that bright, especially here at OSU.  

Thats the understatement of the year...
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 9:54:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I partially retract my statement about OSU students. When I was at Kent State, it was much worse.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I open carry quite regularly.  When on my motorcycle...traveling to and from the range...when walking the dogs...when grilling in my yard and there's a cop chopper hovering overhead...when confronting strangers on my porch and in my yard, etc.

I have yet to be stopped, questioned, or otherwise hassled by the police.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
is that a dig on OSU Students and/or are you an OSU student?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to rag on OSU,  just remember,   they directly funded my gun habit for 3 years.  They are also indirectly responsible for my NRA Instructor certification, and thus putting more CCW permits on the streets.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is it legal to open carry in all private businesses that arent otherwise posted?

Private businesses have the right to ask you to leave but if there isn't a no weapons sign then it is completely legal to carry there. I have carried in many places and never been questioned, very few people even notice. The sheeple practically sleepwalk through their lives.

Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The sheeple practically sleepwalk through their lives.

Hate to say it, but the wifey fits that description perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm suprised to hear people carry on their motorcycles.

I'm worried about carrying anything hard, like a gun on my person when on a bike, period.  As a matter of fact, my Kershaw even goes in the tank bag.  If you have ever fallen on anything hard, you'll want to re consider this option.  I had a 3mph slide off my bike last year (new tires combined with spilled anit freeze) and a welt from the knife for 2 months hudder
At least something to think about...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:34:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Well that is something I have thought about. I guess the idea is keep the shiny side up. (I'm sure that your slide was not intentional) You could just as well hit that big rock/retread/piece of a bumper ext. when you go down. As for carrying on the bike, ask Swingset about the first time I camre out to his place for a shoot. I rode the bike, and I brought the toys.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
is that a dig on OSU Students and/or are you an OSU student?

Yep, I'm a student here. I'm more or less kidding about OSU students. It's a great school. Unfortunately, since it is so large, it has a diverse population. With such a diverse population, some people are intelligent and some people have a little to be desired. Several of the people in my immediate vicinity have much to be desired.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I carried open in Arizona before we had resciprocity with them. I didnt draw any attention at all and this was in Phenoix and Scottsdale a little bit in Sun City Grand . It felt strangely liberating.
About as much as I carry open here is taking uncased black rifles out to my vehicles for a trip to the range.  sometimes I carry an AR in the gunrack mounted to my trucks back window. No problems yet.l
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:29:50 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm suprised to hear people carry on their motorcycles.

I'm worried about carrying anything hard, like a gun on my person when on a bike, period.  As a matter of fact, my Kershaw even goes in the tank bag.  If you have ever fallen on anything hard, you'll want to re consider this option.  I had a 3mph slide off my bike last year (new tires combined with spilled anit freeze) and a welt from the knife for 2 months  I shudder to think what a really hard fall would have done.  And this was wearing fully armored safety gear.

At least something to think about...

If I'm going down it's going to hurt regardless.  I have been down before and I will go down again...it's a simple fact of being a motorcyclist.  I always have a CRKT clipped in my right pocket, and many times a SIG P239 behind my right hip.   Like Pudwak, I also rode to swingset's with a few toys in tow...though I didn't go so far as to have an AR15 strapped across my back.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:38:29 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

If I'm going down it's going to hurt regardless.  I have been down before and I will go down again...it's a simple fact of being a motorcyclist.  I always have a CRKT clipped in my right pocket, and many times a SIG P239 behind my right hip.   Like Pudwak, I also rode to swingset's with a few toys in tow...though I didn't go so far as to have an AR15 strapped across my back.  hr

Yes, it is a fact of life.  I guess I am more concerned about falling on it than having the weapon on the hip.  That is what te tank bag is for, at least for me.

BTW, I have  a buddy who regurlarly goes to the range with a shotgun or two strapped on the back of his bike.  He even set up his rear rack to accomidate this.  Even better, BMW has as an option for Police bikes an AR-15 or 870 carrier
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Yep, I would open carry when taking my dog for her walks.  Not sure which was more of the chick magnet the Black Lab or the glock.  I got a lot of stares from the women but they must have been too shy.  No one came up and said hi.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I'm going down it's going to hurt regardless.  I have been down before and I will go down again...it's a simple fact of being a motorcyclist.  I always have a CRKT clipped in my right pocket, and many times a SIG P239 behind my right hip.   Like Pudwak, I also rode to swingset's with a few toys in tow...though I didn't go so far as to have an AR15 strapped across my back.  

Yes, it is a fact of life.  I guess I am more concerned about falling on it than having the weapon on the hip.  That is what te tank bag is for, at least for me.

The major problem with that is that you are in violation of state CCW laws when you put your weapon in the tankbag.  If you ride a bike, the only way to carry is openly.  Hopefully, that won't be the case much longer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#31]
I can only imagine the looks I would get if I open carried my MP5 or ar15 around in their 3 point tac sling.

bp
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#32]
I open carry at home.  That includes taking the trash out, grilling, mowing the yard, having a beer on the deck (my favorite), etc.

I have open carried in the past, when working at a pizza shop ('97-'98).  I would open carry in the shop and when I went to the bank to make deposits.

If you look like you are supposed to be doing something, no one thinks twice about it.  This includes LE.  We had LE come into the shop all the time, and I asked a few of them if it was legal to open carry vs. the then "prudent man law".  The answer was always something to the effect of they weren't certain, but if I looked like I was going about legitimate business, they wouldn't probably even notice.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#33]
where do you find columbus's open carry laws? ive goggled myself to death trying to find the "restrictions" im sure they have.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Yes and yes. As in yess I've open carried and yes I have been stopped by the police for doing so. Though I started doing it right after the supreme court decision before any of the walks that took place before CC. I was stopped twice by the local poice the first time drew 3 cars and took about 10 minutes too clear up. The second was because I was carrying my AR. Yes I did it to draw attention. Again  it was cleard up quicly and off I went walking. I have done it ALOT since then and don't get a second glance anymore.

Totally legal and not a problem in most areas. Some localities do have rules though so just be aware of them.

Just wounding, how were you carrying your AR and where were you when carrying it?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I had it on a tac sling, so it was hanging down my right side most of the time, or across my chest. I was carring it in the small town i live in, known as newton falls. The police said they got alot of calls from people that day.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
In another month or so I'll fire up the motorcycle.

Didn't know you had a bike.  What do you ride?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I had it on a tac sling, so it was hanging down my right side most of the time, or across my chest. I was carring it in the small town i live in, known as newton falls. The police said they got alot of calls from people that day.

We need to stage "tactical walks" and walk around with rifles all the time.  Acclimate the sheeple to seeing them. lol
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top