Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:32:16 AM EDT
I was just wondering if anyone else has bought a handgun or rifle from an Academy store and if so what do you think of their service as far as firearms are concerned.

There's just a part of me that feels weird about buying a gun from them....I don't know why, I just do. Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:05:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was just wondering if anyone else has bought a handgun or rifle from an Academy store and if so what do you think of their service as far as firearms are concerned.

There's just a part of me that feels weird about buying a gun from them....I don't know why, I just do. Thanks.

i have e bought a couple.  870 pump shotgun and a Ruger 10-22.
service?  what service?  you ask to look at the gun.  they hand it to you.  you ask to look at the one on the box that you will be buying.  they open it up and you check it out.  fill out the yellow form, they take the gun to the front counter where you pay for it and you take it home.  they treat the gun just like anything else "behind the counter".  

i never got any service as far as them doing any bore sighting or scope mounting.  if you have a problem with the gun you send it to the factory.  don't take it back to Academy.  price it about 25-50 bucks cheaper than a real gun store like Carters Country.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:39:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Just bought one Friday from the store in south Arlington.

I was asked if I needed help, and I wanted to see one in particular. It was cleared and handed to me. I inspected and agreed to buy it. Filled out the 4473 and another sheet that basically said all sales are final and the warranty is by the factory. Asked me if I was planning to do some dove hunting and said if I was, then now is the time to get the license before the end of the month and they get swamped.

Salesman carried it to the register where I paid, and then carried it to the front door where he handed it to me and said "Thank you."

Nothing weird...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess my biggest worry was about any problems that arise down the road. But both of you mentioned that once you buy it you then deal with the manufacturer.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I thoughthe whole "we will carry it out the door for you" as weird.

As if I'm going to buy it, 4473 it, then load it and THEN go bonko or something else equaly ridiculous.
But if it is handed to be outside, then all will be OK? WTF?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought a Mossberg 500 and a Remington 700 from them. On some guns, their prices are the absolute best around. I think any time you need service on a newly purchased firearm, you'll have to deal with the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thoughthe whole "we will carry it out the door for you" as weird.

As if I'm going to buy it, 4473 it, then load it and THEN go bonko or something else equaly ridiculous.
But if it is handed to be outside, then all will be OK? WTF?

most gun/spoting goods stores will "walk the gun to the door".
if you go to a gun store you get to take posession at the counter but usualy the counter is located right by the exit so i don't see what the big deal is.  they just want to get you and your purchase out in a safe mannor.  i like the policy.  i don't want num nuts roaming the store with a 300 win mag looking for bullets or a gun case.  if he wants to go to a store to have them function check the gun or clean it then he should take it to a real gun shop with an in house gun smith.  not Academy.    
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Nothing sillier than being walked to the door with an unloaded and boxed gun, while you have a fully loaded one on your hip.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Mossberg shotgun from them last week for a real good price. They have a deal right now ---if you buy a centerfire rifle or shotgun, they will give you a 2-gun aluminum case free. Deal started yesterday, so when I mentioned that I just missed the deal, they said go get your receipt, we'll give you a case!
My local store has a gunsmith; he has his own shop, but works at the store for extra income. If you buy a rifle and scope, he will bore sight it free. Same if you just buy a scope, he will install it on your rifle and bore sight it free at the store, you just have to check it in at the front.
Only thing I don't like about Academy is they will not special order a gun for you. You can only buy what they have in stock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I buy from them all the time since I work at academy.  I think we're running a deal right now where if you buy a shotgun you get a free 50.00 aluminum case for free.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a 700 ADL in 7mmMag at the store in South Arlington.  Since I bought the scope rings, they bore sighted it for free.  I thought that was nice.

I picked a single box of 45 ACP yesterday and they had to walk me to the customer service counter too.  I almosted asked the guy "You think I don't have ammo on my right now?"  But decided to keep my mouth shut because it's a corporate policy.  

R.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:08:46 AM EDT
[#11]
We never walk ammo up front, that's odd.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

the one I go to doesn't either. I walked up to the register myself with 1,000 rounds of 9mm
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the one I go to doesn't either. I walked up to the register myself with 1,000 rounds of 9mm

CCI at 3.86 per 50?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i have e bought a couple.  870 pump shotgun and a Ruger 10-22.
service?  what service?  you ask to look at the gun.  they hand it to you.  you ask to look at the one on the box that you will be buying.  they open it up and you check it out.  fill out the yellow form, they take the gun to the front counter where you pay for it and you take it home.  they treat the gun just like anything else "behind the counter".  

i never got any service as far as them doing any bore sighting or scope mounting.  if you have a problem with the gun you send it to the factory.  don't take it back to Academy.  price it about 25-50 bucks cheaper than a real gun store like Carters Country.  

Not much on service...you buy the gun it's yours....The factory is your friend.
They will bore site if asked and you bring in your scope.  
It is almost always done if you buy both the scope and gun from them.
I like them and have never had a problem with them.

On a different note...I am trying to get them to do an ammo special for our EBR's!!!

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
if you want academy to do anything, you'll have to talk to the corperate office.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
if you want academy to do anything, you'll have to talk to the corperate office.  

Way ahead of ya...I know one of the buyers for them

BTW what you think about the Magnum Research baby eagles you guys are getting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ehhh..

they stock the glock 19,
how about a glock 17?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Didn't somebody post here a while back that they give alot of money to Democrat candidates?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ehhh..

they stock the glock 19,
how about a glock 17?

Nope no G17's...I don't know why..I am sure its a price point thing
I did buy a pair of G19's from them w/2 hi caps!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Didn't somebody post here a while back that they give alot of money to Democrat candidates?

I think someone debunked it...
BTW how Democrap can a company be when they love firearms???
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not debunked at all
What are principals to liberals when they can make money.

http://buyblue.org/detail.php?corpId=259

Go to the Federal Election Commission  (FEC) web sight and lookup the Gochmans and see the democrats they gave to.

http://www.politicalmoneyline.com
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not debunked at all

Go to the Federal Election Commission  (FEC) web sight and lookup the Gochmans and see the democrats they gave to.

Yes it looks like they give $$$ to the Demos.

To be honest those are the exact type of democraps I like...ones that can be bought off
At the end of the day I can still buy handguns, long guns (even VERY UN-PC EBR's) from them.  
They sell firearms at a good price and continue to support the Second at least through actions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

all the guys are pretty excited about getting them in.  I have yet to handle one so i'll definately have to mess with one once they come in.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

all the guys are pretty excited about getting them in.  I have yet to handle one so i'll definately have to mess with one once they come in.

What city are you in???
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#25]
college station
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
college station

That's my all time favorite Academy.  Much cleaner and friendlier staff than the one's here in Dallas.

EPOCH Class of '03
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:20:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
college station

That's my all time favorite Academy.  Much cleaner and friendlier staff than the one's here in Dallas.

EPOCH Class of '03

I hear they hold us to higher standards compared to the rest of the chain.  We can't wear short/jeans and everything has to be done just right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto.  Kinda funny to see some 18 yo chick ask, "Weren't you just here last week?"
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#29]
I've always liked the store, especially if you need sporting supplies other than Firearms/accessories.

Although their lack of Win. 223 FMJ is heartbreaking (so now I have to wait half an hour at wally world for the sporting goods employee to show up), I still get everything from them first.  

I plan on walking out this week with their $148.98 Mossberg 500 (I believe).  Don't have a shotgun to protect the apt, realized, after it was broken into once, I couldn't trust my accuracy under low light and stress to hit someone safely (no innocents get hit) with a 20" AR.  

-mark
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#30]
The academy store in Beaumont sells handguns at 20% off.That is cheaper than anywhere else.The store manager told me last year that 2 stores in the state do this.You can buy handguns sometimes for less than they pay.Dont know where the other store is located.This store is THE PLACE to buy a handgun for less.Limited to stock on hand.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not debunked at all

That's what I thought.  Funny how some don't mind when there is a good price involved.  

As for their handgun prices, they are way higher than the gun show or ordering online.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not debunked at all

That's what I thought.  Funny how some don't mind when there is a good price involved.  

As for their handgun prices, they are way higher than the gun show or ordering online.

I don't mind it one bit when they provide me with the ability to buy an Bushy for like $10 over dealer cost.
Don't look now but they seem to be supporting the Second with that those actions
Hey just cause they support the Left don't mean that they can't sell me all the weapons and ammo I can buy.
Then again I am the kinda guy who buys nice jap cars cause they last longer and actually have a resale value.  

Re: Handguns they have one location that sells under cost.
I Don't think the online guys are matching a new G19 for $349.00
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The academy store in Beaumont sells handguns at 20% off.That is cheaper than anywhere else.The store manager told me last year that 2 stores in the state do this.You can buy handguns sometimes for less than they pay.Dont know where the other store is located.This store is THE PLACE to buy a handgun for less.Limited to stock on hand.

I'll have to swing by the next time I'm home.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:52:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not debunked at all

I don't mind it one bit when they provide me with the ability to buy an Bushy for like $10 over dealer cost.
Don't look now but they seem to be supporting the Second with that those actions
Hey just cause they support the Left don't mean that they can't sell me all the weapons and ammo I can buy.
Then again I am the kinda guy who buys nice jap cars cause they last longer and actually have a resale value.  

Re: Handguns they have one location that sells under cost.
I Don't think the online guys are matching a new G19 for $349.00

Breathe deep, exhale....repeat....repeat; OK, you should be GTG now.

Most large corporations contribute significantly to BOTH major political parties; it is good business to do so.

I have no problem with Academy; it is a convenient place to shop with inexpensive prices and no 30.06 signs on the doors.

BTW, I drive a Toyota truck built in Cali.  ;)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A fellow Arfcommer, Aggie, and southeast texas native.  Small world, small world...

EPOCH (born and raised in bridge city)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A fellow Arfcommer, Aggie, and southeast texas native.  Small world, small world...

did you happen to know russel and amber crain?  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:49:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I bought a pistol and a deer rifle plus a scope and mount from an Academy.

Bore sighted the scope after mounting it for me.

Good price and good service.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I've bought two handguns at Academy in the last couple years.  My CZ75B and my S&W 637.  Great, easy experience.    

I'd recommend them, if you find something you like with the right price.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:20:52 PM EDT
[#39]

Bridge City - about 10 miles from my house in McLewis.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#40]
i've got 5 guns that came from academy.  the one near my place carries ar's now, and they've got pretty good prices...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#41]
We are getting an Academy here in Victoria, can't wait!!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:39:08 AM EDT
[#42]
 I've always had really good service at Academy.  I go to the South Arlington store often and they are good folks back in the gun/optics department.  The folks at the Amarillo store were great when I went there to pick up a tripod for the deer lease a couple of weeks ago.  Super helpful and all were hunters too.  There's a Gander Mountain there also & service was poor compared to Academy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:12:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Every Academy I've ever bought ammo from has walked all pistol ammo to the front of the store because it's behind the counter.  Rifle and shotgun ammo is on the shelves and self serve.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Nothing sillier than being walked to the door with an unloaded and boxed gun, while you have a fully loaded one on your hip.

I remember a guy in the General forum talking about how in went in to the store in his PD uniform and they still walked the gun out even though he was carrying his duty weapon on his hip.  Corporate policy is corporate policy.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on if it's behind the counter or not.  Behind the counter requires them to walk it up, while on the aisle shelves is self serve.  Every one I've ever bought from (in 6 cities) has done it that way.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#46]
I've only bought two firearms from Academy. Ruger p97 and Remington/Baikal single shot 20 gauge. Service was normal in my opinion, I looked at it and decided on it and bought it. There is only one guy who is semi knowledgable in regards to firearms at our Academy, but then again same goes for a lot of people who work at some gun shops. I did find the sheet you have to sign agreeing to read the owners manual or something pretty funny, guess there was some stupid lawsuit.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

They are still doing that??? I bought a Ruger from there a while back probably year and a half ago or more and they were doing that. I buy more ammo there than anything, when they have the 40rnd value pack of Win .223 which is rare, cause people like me go in there and buy 10plus or all they have when it comes in.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:42:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks to everyone for their comments. I went and bought my Glock 19 from Academy this morning and am very pleased. I was also pleased by their 9mm ammo prices.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#49]
I bought my 870 there about 7 years ago.  I've bought lots of ammo and 10-22 magazines there too.  Nice store.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Winchester Model 94 30-30

mossberg maverick pump

seemed liek a good deal
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top